P1000 Oil Cooler

Ca51flatty

Ca51flatty

May 2, 2016
Riverside, CA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I know my P5 has an oil over water cooler but what do you guys think about a traditional Setrab oil cooler in place of the stock cooler. My thinking is using a sandwich type auto adapter and use a 10 row setrab cooler to get more oil in the system and not use the water to try and cool the beast off.

I used to do this on all my Teryx's but those only held a coupe quarts of oil stock unlike my P5. Maybe more work then it is worth but hey, why not.

opnions?

Reactions: Plumber32
joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Are you considering this mod for a pioneer 500 or a pioneer 1000?

Sent from my iPad 7G

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Please excuse me, I'm still trying to understand. Are you wanting to replace the original radiator on the pioneer 1000 or add a supplemental cooling system?

Also, I thought the radiator on the 1000 is water only inside it.

Sent from my iPad 7G

Ca51flatty

Ca51flatty

May 2, 2016
Riverside, CA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Please excuse me, I'm still trying to understand. Are you wanting to replace the original radiator on the pioneer 1000 or add a supplemental cooling system?

Also, I thought the radiator on the 1000 is water only inside it.

Sent from my iPad 7G
The radiator is fine and I won't touch it however the oil is cooled via a cooler mounted on the side of the engine. Water is diverted from the engine through the cooler which is suppose to help cool the oil. I am thinking about ditching this and replacing this stock cooler to just oil to air and not use the water cooling sytsem to help cool the oil.

Reactions: knuckledeep
B

Boomboom907

Apr 27, 2016
Washington
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
you know, if you are having problems with overheating i guess i would. oil coolers are pretty damn efficient when you need more cooling and water just isn't doing it.

where i live, its not even worth the hassle. my fan might come on for a few minutes, but thats kind of how everything is designed. fans are supposed to come on, and the rig is supposed to run hot. if it ran too cold it would run like poopie.

oil cooler wont actually cool your engine down any more than stock would. it would just help if your stock stuff wasnt performing correctly ( like if plugged with mud or something)

i wouldnt unuse the good stock stuff. im not sure how you can get at the oil to cool it off, but if you could then i would simply run an additional one and maybe mount it up on the roof or maybe delete your hood and frame a box with some fine wire over it for sticks and stuff.

i bet a upgraded cooling fan would do as much good though. might even help remove the heat from under your butt?

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
The radiator is fine and I won't touch it however the oil is cooled via a cooler mounted on the side of the engine. Water is diverted from the engine through the cooler which is suppose to help cool the oil. I am thinking about ditching this and replacing this stock cooler to just oil to air and not use the water cooling sytsem to help cool the oil.

Oh ok, I gotcha. I did not know that it had an external cooler that's water over oil. Thanks for that input.

My thoughts on an aftermarket cooler is having to clean it a lot. If it could be mounted high, that would be great. If it could be mounted in front of the OEM radiator, that would be nice. But, that's a long way to run oil lines so there's a risk.

Sent from my iPad 7G

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I've added air to oil coolers on lawn mowers. That's been a good thing for those air cooled engines. Kohler sells the adapter between the filter and block.

I am curious as to what's the reason.

Sent from my iPad 7G

Ca51flatty

Ca51flatty

May 2, 2016
Riverside, CA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I've added air to oil coolers on lawn mowers. That's been a good thing for those air cooled engines. Kohler sells the adapter between the filter and block.

I am curious as to what's the reason.

Sent from my iPad 7G
Reason? More oil, and cooler oil from Air to oil, and less heat going from oil to water.

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
But what if the vehicle is already operating at the desired temp? I understand taking more heat out of its running hot.

I just thought you may have a unique situation that would increase work load in an extreme hit environment.

I guess having an additional cooler wouldn't hurt anything though as the thermostat will keep the engine operating at the desired temp anyway. But you would have the extra cooling capacity of the need arises.

I'll stay tuned and see what you come up with, I may be interested. Please understand that I'm no arguing, only playing devils advocate and trying to fully understand. Also, you did ask for opinions.

Sent from my iPad 7G

advertisement
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Not only would it give extra cooling but it would allow for an increase of additional fluid which would be a good thing. The only thing I can see as negative is the possibility that the stock oil pump may not be strong enough to run the additional load and I could see it starve the motor.

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Y'all remember that the oil NEEDS to be 212 degrees F to vaporize the water condensate that can get into the oil.

Also, engine specs like bearing tolerances are are set at what the OEM says is optimal operating temp. Those specs change when the engine is hot vs cold. That's why they tell you to check valve clearance on a cold engine.

One last thing is the viscosity of multi grade oil changes at different temps so be aware of that.

Now all these things listed are very minimal so you would probably be fine but Honda is the world leader in building reliable off road machines. I don't want to stray to far from their design. Now if you were going to pull a plow or disc 6 hours a day then you could probably justify it.

If you decide to put an oil cooler on it, do one with a thermostat so the engine can warm up to optimal operating temp but the additional cooler will help keep it from going over that.

Sent from my iPad 7G

W

wyodlr

Aug 15, 2016
Cody Wyoming
Ownership

1. 1000-5
might want to check the oil pressure at the cooler before trying another one

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
would the oil cooler help the clutches though on the heat end?

I'm still curious how an oil cooler will help. The clutches heat up from friction from the slipping. So now are they just going to slip but remain cooler? Sounds like they need to fix the clutch slipping issues that some machines have!

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Reactions: JTW
Crow_Hunter

Crow_Hunter

May 18, 2016
Riding a Canned Ham.
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I'm still curious how an oil cooler will help. The clutches heat up from friction from the slipping. So now are they just going to slip but remain cooler? Sounds like they need to fix the clutch slipping issues that some machines have!

The clutch disc material is attached with a binder of some sort. Hypothetically if the oil gets hot enough to degrade or break down the binder, the clutches could fail.

I don't have a clue what the binder is or what point it would degrade. But, keeping the oil cooler might be beneficial.

The clutch slips a little bit all the time when the RPMs of the wheels and the crank don't match (like speeding up or slowing down and starting/shifting). If the heat isn't getting out of the oil in a timely fashion, it might be building up to the point the clutch wear accelerates way beyond normal.

That might also explain why you guys that run Bull Run a lot don't have problems like some others do. Since you are in and out of water a bunch your overall average oil temps may be lower than those that are relying on just the radiator dump the waste heat out of the whole system.

That is why I am very interested to see what Honda's fix is. Heat or clamping force or electrical or a combination of all of them or none of them. :)

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!