P1000 Oil Cooler

Ca51flatty

Ca51flatty

May 2, 2016
Riverside, CA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Very true and very important!!! I've been in countless arguements with people over the years because they want their engines to run "as cool as possible". That is an oil life killer, and therefore an engine life killer. Not to mention tolerances at specific heat, and inefficiencies the whole time that you are killing your engine. There are no better ways to regulate an engine than what Honda, Yamaha, Polaris, Can-Am, Ford, Chrysler, GM, Toyota, etc etc etc have been doing for the better part of a century. My opinion...leave it alone. If you are overheating your oil, you are using your machine outside of it's design parameters and something else will fail in short order.

Good point but Honda also missed a little on predicting clutch issues that some are having. Production driving on the street is one thing but any performance vehicle that is being pushed is going to need help cooling whether it is water or oil. My original point was to get a better cooler than using the small water to oil cooler that is used on the 1000 engine.

E

ebkoz

Feb 27, 2017
new jersey
They make a WATER WETTER ADDITIVE. WORKS FANTASTIC. Add that to your cooing system and forget the modifications!!!

I don't recommend water wetter, I used it in my motorcycle and it caused sludge in the cooling system. It was some task to remove all the sludge.

Koz

Reactions: Plumber32 and JTW
JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
If you are overheating your oil, you are using your machine outside of it's design parameters and something else will fail in short order.

I said the exact same thing about the first clutches failing in the P1K 15 months ago. People lost thier minds that somehow they had any culpability in the demise of thier machine, 30" tires be dammed. It HAD to be someone elses fault.

Reactions: Plumber32 and JTW
Kilo427

Kilo427

Not about the destination Its about the journey
Lifetime Member
Dec 10, 2015
I said the exact same thing about the first clutches failing in the P1K 15 months ago. People lost thier minds that somehow they had any culpability in the demise of thier machine, 30" tires be dammed. It HAD to be someone elses fault.

Don't necessarily disagree with that at all, just seems real hit or miss 30 inch or stock. Just trying to think outside the box in the realm of what can be done individually. If the clutches have to be fixed or something internal so be it I don't have that amount of skill. But it never hurts to try. I am of the mind that if it is possible for me to find a way to fix it then I'll try, rather do that than gripe about it that doesn't get much done.

In other news I have been running some test just to see how well a fan work under the seat and if it's pushing more heat through the back than we think

Test 1 no fan all plastics on sides and back off

Test 2 same run time same ambient temp 7 inch fan on

As I put her back together I'll do the same with seat on plastics on and the rear heat shield. I have it apart so why not.

IMG 6703 IMG 6706

Kilo427

Kilo427

Not about the destination Its about the journey
Lifetime Member
Dec 10, 2015
Oh top number is outside clutch portion, middle infront heat shield and bottom is behind heat shield

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!