P500 Oil/Filter

T

THeck

Jun 3, 2020
Southeast, KY
Ownership

1. 500

2. Do not currently own
Just went over 109 miles and figured I’d go ahead and change oil and filter. I just bought a gram filter (6015) at Walmart and it says it fits pioneer too. Would you use this filter? What type oil? Thanks

H

HondaTech

The problem with aftermarket filters is they can installed backwards, which starves the top end of oil.

Honda filters are marked outside and have a lip on the P500 that won't allow it to be installed in reverse.

• Wow
Reactions: CID and Lburou
T

THeck

Jun 3, 2020
Southeast, KY
Ownership

1. 500

2. Do not currently own
We appreciate the good advice. I’ll go with the Honda filter and oil.

T

THeck

Jun 3, 2020
Southeast, KY
Ownership

1. 500

2. Do not currently own
Do you always use new o rings during oil change? Do you torque the bolts? I never have on ATVs but probably should have. But I never had trouble. Where is the beat place to get torque wrench? Thanks

Reactions: DG Rider
DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Do you always use new o rings during oil change? Do you torque the bolts? I never have on ATVs but probably should have. But I never had trouble. Where is the beat place to get torque wrench? Thanks
I will change the o rings every few changes, but keep them on hand in case there is an issue. Seems like new ones are more prone to getting nicked. Make sure you lube them with oil.

The general consensus is that the filter cover bolts torque from Honda is too high, and a few members have snapped them while torquing. I just use the T.F.A.R. method (that feels about right).

Reactions: Red500 and CID
CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Torque wrenches are overrated and break as many bolts as they tighten correctly. Used on small fasteners, they're too long, it's impossible to 'feel' what's happening. When I was about 10, my Dad told me when working on my bicycle - "Pay attention, you can feel when it's getting tight." The only time I use a torque wrench is for critical assemblies like engines and brake calipers.

Also new to SxSs, I'll be using Honda filters.

sarc201

sarc201

Jun 8, 2020
Dayton, Ohio
Ownership

1. 500
Anyone know of a dealer or dealers that sell filters, o-rings, oil, or heck any parts online at a discount?

advertisement
T

THeck

Jun 3, 2020
Southeast, KY
Ownership

1. 500

2. Do not currently own
Thanks for the replies. I change oil in our vehicles and motorcycles and have always just used the TFAR method ands haven’t had any problems. Glad I learned that method had a name. Lol

NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thanks for the replies. I change oil in our vehicles and motorcycles and have always just used the TFAR method ands haven’t had any problems. Glad I learned that method had a name. Lol
TFAR and TooFar are not all that far apart for some so definitely avoid apprentice-tight. :) If it leaks you can always give it another eek of a turn. If you go TooFar things are a pita and often costly in a hurry.

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Out of curiosity, what synthetic do you use in your SxS?

I was using Royal Purple Max Cycle but couldn't find it for the last oil change, maybe they quit making it? So I went with Honda full synthetic, not cheap but I like knowing it has the good sh** running through it.

Reactions: Bushbaby
Todd627

Todd627

HondaSxS Club Stress Management Director
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 4, 2018
MI
Out of curiosity, what synthetic do you use in your SxS?

NitroxDiver

NitroxDiver

Dec 22, 2016
Concord NC
Ownership

1. 500
I have used the Fram filter several times with no issues. It looks just like the Honda filter . I always used Honda oil and filters for years but but my local dealer is Ride Now in Concord and I’m not buying anything from them. I have switched over to valvoline and Fram as I can pick it up at the auto parts or Walmart.

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!