ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
For the love of God why can’t Honda give us SPIN ON oil filters? Honda cars have them. Everyone else has them. I hate hate hate these stupid cartridge filters Honda has been using forever.

Pinched my oil filter cover oring today. First time I have ever pinched one. It’s Sunday so I obviously can’t get another one right now. So now I can’t ride on my only day off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Bad_bowtie
Bad_bowtie

Bad_bowtie

Huge member
Lifetime Member
Jun 29, 2016
East Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X4
I was thinking the exact same thing yesterday when I serviced mine. It would make it too easy to just spin a filter on and off! :mad::mad: Not to mention if you strip one of those little bolts out over tightening. Seems like several here have had that happen even using Hondas specs.

H

HondaTech

I wonder if the oil pressures required by the transmissions is affected by a spin on filter.

Possible blow out situation or, maybe flow through the filter is high enough?

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
It's just a "Honda thing". And with many new engines going back to the cartridge style (for the environment:rolleyes:), I have little hope. This is also why I keep an extra lying around, even if it's a good used one.

Prob too late to help you today, but some of the better parts stores brands will come with the o rings.

ehart814

ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
For my 500, I bought spare orings just in case. Never used it. For whatever reason, I didn’t order the orings when I bought the stuff to change the 1000. Lesson learned. I’ve probably changed 100 oil filters on all sorts of Honda quads, bikes, and my 500 and this is the first time I screwed up an oring. Lol

Reactions: Biteme and DG Rider
DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
For my 500, I bought spare orings just in case. Never used it. For whatever reason, I didn’t order the orings when I bought the stuff to change the 1000. Lesson learned. I’ve probably changed 100 oil filters on all sorts of Honda quads, bikes, and my 500 and this is the first time I screwed up an oring. Lol

I admit to reusing them many times. The small one 500's have around the oil passage can be tough to keep in with a new one, so rather than fight, I just let sleeping dogs lie.

Reactions: Biteme and Mudwing

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!