BOX1

Oil leak

S

smokinit

Jul 2, 2014
So I noticed the other day I have an oil leak coming from around the shaft going into the transmission on the rear. Two questions.

Is this common occurrence?

And is it a major project to replace the seal? Or does the shaft just slip out replace the seal and slip back in.

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my KYOCERA-E6560 using Tapatalk

swsebek

swsebek

Red,White And Blue Collar Soul
Lifetime Member
May 4, 2014
pa
Ownership

1. 700-4
Pics please

S

smokinit

Jul 2, 2014
KIMG0292

Here is where the oil is coming from.

S

smokinit

Jul 2, 2014
KIMG0293

And that's the oil spot... Not a bad leak. But I wouldn't expect to have a leak like that at 3k miles.

Road Warrior

Road Warrior

Aug 12, 2013
Palestine, IL
Ownership

1. 700-2
I haven't had that problem on my pioneer but I did pull the shaft on my Rincon (same setup basically) to replace the final drive gears and it wasn't a major deal.
I just looked at my 700 - remove the brake caliper, remove the 5 bolts securing the driveshaft flange to the rear yoke and the shaft will slide out of the transmission. Drain the oil prior to doing this or you will make a mess.

Reactions: Tflynn and swsebek
S

smokinit

Jul 2, 2014
That's what I figured. Just wanted to know what I was up against before I start in.. I am in need of a service any ways so no better time than now to do it

A

AWolf

Jun 7, 2019
Houston, TX
Ownership

1. 700-4
Hey Smokinit,

Did you ever fix this leak. I have have the same issue. Do you remember what the Honda part numbers were? I know it was over a year ago. TIA

SILVER_ALERT

SILVER_ALERT

HONDA SXS Club Flounder
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 6, 2016
Route 66 Oklahoma
Ownership

1. 500
Hey Smokinit,

Did you ever fix this leak. I have have the same issue. Do you remember what the Honda part numbers were? I know it was over a year ago. TIA

Hey @AWolf . If you want to get smokinits's attention, write it like this: @smokinit

A

AWolf

Jun 7, 2019
Houston, TX
Ownership

1. 700-4
Hey @AWolf . If you want to get smokinits's attention, write it like this: @smokinit

Thanks @SILVER_ALERT!

Hey @smokinit,

Did you ever fix this leak. I have have the same issue. Any Advice or steps you could share? Do you remember what the Honda part numbers were? I know it was over a year ago. TIA

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
I did that seal at around 7800 miles if I recall. Seal is like $3 (I have an extra one lying around somewhere), but you have to loosen the rear diff and slide it back to get the driveshaft out to do the fix. You also lose some oil, so maybe do this right before an oil change.

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!