One more shot at cold air through shifter area

Bighat

Bighat

Nov 25, 2021
Gallipolis Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I'm giving it one more shot. Winters coming and the cold are will soon be blowing through my dash shifter so decided to try something I tried last winter but didn't work out for long. So, I modified it a little and I'm trying it again. I use an old intertube for the rubber. I made the rubber too short around the edges last time and it wasn't staying in place well so I increased the rubber size hoping for a better hold this time. I took the two screws out on the dash and used three screw drivers and a small putty knife to squeeze the rubber between the two dash pieces. We'll see, I'm trying it out now.
It worked well last year for a short while. I've tried foam behind the dash hoping that would work and it didn't and I don't understand why the foam didn't work because I cut little pieces, big pieces, I stuff it full of foam. It helped some but not enough to stop the cold when is was really cold. The foam did work around the steering column. I never move the tilt wheel so the foam stays in postiion fine and stops a lot of air. If this doesn't work I'm thinking a boot. I just don't want to pull the dash. Time will tell. I'll report back and let everyone know if it holding up.

Last edited:
Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Have you seen this one? Hundreds were sold. Might want to skip to the last page. Some good info you might want to consider if it bothers you.

Bighat

Bighat

Nov 25, 2021
Gallipolis Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Have you seen this one? Hundreds were sold. Might want to skip to the last page. Some good info you might want to consider if it bothers you.
Bothers me, it will freeze your a?? off when it's real cold out. You get a cab and you have a gaint air hole in it. Piss poor design. I seen that one but looks like the guy doesn't make them or that's what everyone is saying. Look at Rad Customes also but I don't like the look of the rubber they use. This worked great if it will stay in place. Time will tell.

Last edited:
Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Been there done that. The shifter cover helps. But the column is hardest to manage. Ok at low speed but tooling down the road at 20f or colder…no go.

I have some chunks of foam I jam into the column space when im plowing snow. I set the wheel and don’t move it. As far as the shifters…about all you can do is a towel jammed up in the cowling..but then you risk fire or creating a rodent hotel…

When I’m plowing with just the column stuffed with foam, the shifter plate, And my gen 1 uppers and oem split windshield, I usually just wear a light sweater or jacket. I also block 50% of the front radiator too to keep the coolant temps up.

Bighat

Bighat

Nov 25, 2021
Gallipolis Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Been there done that. The shifter cover helps. But the column is hardest to manage. Ok at low speed but tooling down the road at 20f or colder…no go.

I have some chunks of foam I jam into the column space when im plowing snow. I set the wheel and don’t move it. As far as the shifters…about all you can do is a towel jammed up in the cowling..but then you risk fire or creating a rodent hotel…

When I’m plowing with just the column stuffed with foam, the shifter plate, And my gen 1 uppers and oem split windshield, I usually just wear a light sweater or jacket. I also block 50% of the front radiator too to keep the coolant temps up.
I use the foam around the wheel also, it seems to work fine if you don't move the wheel.

Reactions: Lady01 and ChadD
Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
How fast do you Northern boys plow, 60-80 MPH to create an unbearable wind chill in an enclosed cab? I thought you boys were tough?
When you drive your ice fishing rig back from the lake on a 10 mi run at -15F into the wind….there’s a point you just pull the f it lever and hammer down…and hope your hands (with gloves on) don’t get frostbite while dressed in full ice gear 😂

B181479F C333 4350 928F 2AB2D3BFD081

russknight

russknight

Lifetime Member
Apr 13, 2019
Perry Florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
I found a small shifter boot and inverted it under the dash. Works like a charm. but you have to remove the dash to install it. Notice the countersunk screws holding it in place. I also used 3M weatherstrip glue. It doesn't fit precisely, but it wound up the air intrusion.

Boot1

Boot2

Bighat

Bighat

Nov 25, 2021
Gallipolis Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I found a small shifter boot and inverted it under the dash. Works like a charm. but you have to remove the dash to install it. Notice the countersunk screws holding it in place. I also used 3M weatherstrip glue. It doesn't fit precisely, but it wound up the air intrusion.

View attachment 351412

View attachment 351413
That's the way to go. Why couldn't they do that at the factory?

Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
No, I read it before. I'll go back an check it out. You could let me in on the secert. I'm terrible busy, I have meeting with President sippy cup this evening about getting my student loan money.
Fixed it for ya!

Reactions: ChadD
Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
No, I read it before. I'll go back an check it out. You could let me in on the secert. I'm terrible busy, I have meeting with President this evening about getting my student loan money.
This was it. Just was t sure if u are under warranty or had an extended warranty and was aware of this issue? Personally I give 0 Fucs what u do its your machine 🤣
just trying to help.
020DA856 2C3C 4F82 B24F E8F27E1E2911

Reactions: Smitty335 and ChadD
Bighat

Bighat

Nov 25, 2021
Gallipolis Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
This was it. Just was t sure if u are under warranty or had an extended warranty and was aware of this issue? Personally I give 0 Fucs what u do its your machine 🤣
just trying to help.
View attachment 351441
Got it, sounds like they should of took the plate off before they took it to the shop. Remember, only Honda accessories, they make so many. Thanks for the info, I hope like hell I don't need use the warranty. I got till Jan. 2023 left.

Last edited:
Bighat

Bighat

Nov 25, 2021
Gallipolis Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
How fast do you Northern boys plow, 60-80 MPH to create an unbearable wind chill in an enclosed cab? I thought you boys were tough?
No, we're all wussies up here. Enjoy the the feature comforts. No, but really, it's not that bad driving around on the farm but if have to head down the road that cold will make it feel like your AC just started working.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Smitty335 and ChadD

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!