Shifter adjustment

IdahoJake

IdahoJake

Jan 6, 2024
Boise, Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I think I have mis-adjusted my Tranny shifter 4 or 5 times. Finally, I bought the Service Manual. It gave some new info, but still not all that clear. IMO, it helps a lot to describe the over-all outcome of the task. The only place to make this adjustment is under the battery. This adjusts the position of the housing of the cable that connects the Dashboard Shift Lever (DashSL) to the 3" Tranny shift lever (TrannySL) under the seat. It is necessary to start the procedure with the engine off, in 2-Wheel Drive and in Neutral ("N"). This procedure deals with the "Free Travel" (slop) of the TrannySL. The over-all objective is to get the center of the DashSL Free Travel in the vertical center of the "N" channel of the Shift Pattern Template. This is observed with the DashSL in the vertical channel between Reverse and High Range. On my machine, the total amount of vertical Free Travel is 7mm. Each machine is different. However, I don't find this dimension to be of much help. The easiest and most accurate way to get the correct adjustment is, at intervals while turning nuts on the cable housing under the battery, observe the DashSL as it relates to the vertical center of the "N" channel in the Shift Pattern Template. By turning nuts, as the cable housing moves down, the position of the DashSL also moves down. Simply adjust the position of the cable housing until the center of the DashSL Free Travel matches the vertical center of the "N" channel of the Shift Pattern Template. This is just a different way of explaining how to get to the exact adjustment position the Service Manual describes.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!