100Acre

Samsquinch the Terrible Magic Bean Manipulator
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
None of the P5 guys are talking about getting a different machine after riding RB? Only about upgrades they plan on doing? These little "wobble box's" took a beating this weekend on trails that much bigger machines tore the hell out of in front of us. Just remember in a P500, the rocks are bigger and the mud holes and ruts seem a lot deeper.

View attachment 73368
Kickin' it with the big dogs at the top of the world. :cool:
Even though the P5 is lower to the ground and not as powerful, she still goes deep and the left legroom is pretty much the same on all the Pioneer models. I do wish it were longer or had more storage room, but for now my machine works for me. If Honda comes up with another model for better left leg room or the "Talon" comes out of hiding and has similar features, then I'm pretty much sticking to my P5 for now.

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Glad you had fun. How’d your box trailer serve you? Was everything still firmly in place when you arrived???

The trailer did real good there and back. Hardly moves in the front where the cabinet is, wrenches and tools stayed put, even a couple of hats I threw on the countertop didn't move after a 9 hr trip. Looked just like it did when i shut the door. ;)

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
The trailer did real good there and back. Hardly moves in the front where the cabinet is, wrenches and tools stayed put, even a couple of hats I threw on the countertop didn't move after a 9 hr trip. Looked just like it did when i shut the door. ;)
Awesome, you did well then. Glad you’re happy with it. Btw, one axle or two?

Reactions: trigger
DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
I just got back from my second ride in the 500. Funny @100Acre mentioned power because i have to be honest and say I don't really have an issue with the power. Everytime i lean on the gas it seems to have something left...at least in slower terrain in KY.

But man....gotta do something about the ride. I am beat up. I've seen you guys talk about adding spacers helping the ride a bit. Obviously, so good tires would help tons, but thats just gonna have to wait. And I think my sway bar is GONE at this point.

100Acre

100Acre

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I still haven't done my sway bar. I was hoping to at the event but didn't have enough torque to loosen the nuts and it did reasonably well at the takeover. I haven't done spacers yet either or taller tires than the current 25' Bighorns. All three mods will be forthcoming before the Paiute trail ride though.

Reactions: DG Rider
DG Rider

DG Rider

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
I still haven't done my sway bar. I was hoping to at the event but didn't have enough torque to loosen the nuts and it did reasonably well at the takeover. I haven't done spacers yet either or taller tires than the current 25' Bighorns. All three mods will be forthcoming before the Paiute trail ride though.
Honestly don't think i would ever go bigger than 25's myself. Esp those tall BH's.

Will you still fit through the gates with spacers?

Reactions: 100Acre
100Acre

100Acre

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Honestly don't think i would ever go bigger than 25's myself. Esp those tall BH's.

Will you still fit through the gates with spacers?
Not sure but some gates are wider than others. Otherwise I was gonna try a set of 1-1.5' spacers first. Out west I had no problem with the 25' tires except for an occasional bottom hit. The takeover was like a constant ass smacker. I bottomed out so often, my UHMW are hanging in two spots. I think I may have broke a couple of the bolts holding them on. I need to remove them for cleaning then reattach. The best investment on the P5 were those skids!

advertisement
DG Rider

DG Rider

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Not sure but some gates are wider than others. Otherwise I was gonna try a set of 1-1.5' spacers first. Out west I had no problem with the 25' tires except for an occasional bottom hit. The takeover was like a constant ass smacker. I bottomed out so often, my UHMW are hanging in two spots. I think I may have broke a couple of the bolts holding them on. I need to remove them for cleaning then reattach. The best investment on the P5 were those skids!
I've actually been surprised. Even with the dinky doughnuts it comes with, it doesn't drag nearly as much as i thought it would.

100Acre

100Acre

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Ive also been contemplating a 26-27' tire as long as the spacers and sway bar stabilize it more.

100Acre

100Acre

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I've actually been surprised. Even with the dinky doughnuts it comes with, it doesn't drag nearly as much as i thought it would.
Plus I'm 250+ lbs of shear whale meat and cookies. Plus the Dog is at least 60lbs, so the P5 has been hauling a lot of crap around....I need to adjust my shocks or upgrade to better ones.

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
@Porkchopexpress and son @jspeedracer88 @Bad_bowtie @Mudder @JACKAL @RickyB @trigger @lee @100Acre Anyone I'm missing?

I can't remember everyone but there was 13 total in our group Saturday.

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
I need to adjust my shocks or upgrade to better ones.

That's why I ordered WE for the rear. The takeover was my first ride after putting them on the front and it made a difference in how it rode and articulated. I noticed when climbing banks that the bounce after cresting the top wasn't as bad and that made for better control. The stockers on the back did really well but any improvement on the suspension is welcomed. You can feel that they're better shocks.
Noticed one of the zip ties I had holding up the sway bar broke, probably going to remove it all together as it's just poor use of space. Wish I had went with 27's, if that's the biggest tire you can run without rubbing, I'd take any more ground clearance I could get.
Well known that if you take this machine up you have to stretch it out or it's just too tippy. Spacers and/or wheel offset makes it more stable and facilitates much better control. Having an even track width helped when riding the tightrope between the ruts too, something to keep in mind.

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
My kid is right behind you on his old fourtrax. Can’t believe he went everywhere we did without getting stuck.

He did really good. He was in front of me for a stretch too, couldn't really follow his line sometimes cause he was playing in it. :D

Porkchopexpress

Porkchopexpress

Nov 15, 2017
Fishers IN
Ownership

1. 500
Tell me about it. He’s gotten a little bit cocky ever since he got a 4wd. But that machine and my p5 work good together. Seems like the gearing is very close. Wish I could get the walker Evans rears. This was my first test on the fronts and I couldn’t believe the difference they made especially in the rocks.

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Took off my skid plates today just to clean them out properly and check for damage. You can tell they took a beating, had to heat one corner up with a torch and straighten it out. Couldn't believe how much mud was in there, wet heavy mud too. Seeing more stuff now, gouges in the rock sliders, plow bracket below the bash plate looks like it took some shots. All minor crap though. For those that attended the takeover and haven't looked above the skids you might want to take a look. ;)

Skidplate

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
This is the side that was dragged against a mud wall. Tore the nut and washer through the aluminum. Took off the nut and bumped it out, went right back into shape. Put a fender washer behind it and it's good as new. Also replaced the green A that was torn off and one of the door jamb graphics. Other than a few battle scars she's ready to ride.

Carnage

GRANITE

GRANITE

People Dying to come see me!
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 21, 2014
Brookville, Indiana
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 520
My P5 got through everything pretty well at takeover! I had sway bar off, 27” warthogs, uhmw skids are a lifesaver and they can be bought for $220 on eBay! 1.5” spacers in back....only thing I need to do is look into WE and maybe some RZR seats for comfort!

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!