Outlaw trails in WV set to be outlawed.

BigOL3

BigOL3

Lifetime Member
Oct 27, 2017
Deep in the heart of Dixie, Kentwood, La.
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I agree, my point was that they want to do everything we do and need to stay home and watch tv, these people are helpless when they break down on the trail. I work for a guy on the side who is pretty loaded and he has to tie reflective markers on the path so his son can find the deer stand...pitiful.
oh yeah, I have seen plenty of that hunting on public land, even when there is a beat down trail ..... lol

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
I’d send out a massive text saying “sell everything get to Idaho, there’s a nice spot for your family next to the water backed up by usfs. Let’s build something, I’m bored hurry”
That would be cool...:cool::cool:

Landman

Landman

The Great Bearded One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jun 27, 2017
Central Arkansas
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
If I could be a millionaire but couldn’t make time or have the ability to enjoy this sort of thing I wouldn’t.
I’ve always said if we won big money I’d be the same guy but I’d damn make sure my friends and family didn’t have to work so we could just have a good time. I’d send out a massive text saying “sell everything get to Idaho, there’s a nice spot for your family next to the water backed up by usfs. Let’s build something, I’m bored hurry”
I’ll bring the sawmill... you can build whatever ya want!

8F62B0F6 AF5C 4E6E BFC6 6C7417EAA768

Dragon21

Dragon21

In my defense, I was left unsupervised
Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Most of the outlaw trails were made by locals. We say private land which is correct. But in most cases its private as in a mining company owns a mountain and its on their land in areas they dont use. Not saying its right, but its also a little different than riding through one of our properties. There are also no "no trespassing" signs or barriers put up. These trails have been there for a long time. One of the places I stay at, the owner tells stories of helping make some of those trails 20 years ago.

The outlaw trails really have some awesome destinations and fun spots to ride. Also like HondaSXS said, there are many camp grounds that utilize the outlaw trails and are setup right next to them. Im not one to take chances when its that expensive. If they pass this, ill be done with the outlaw trails. I just cant believe they would hurt so many local businesses by doing this.

BigOL3

BigOL3

Lifetime Member
Oct 27, 2017
Deep in the heart of Dixie, Kentwood, La.
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Most of the outlaw trails were made by locals. We say private land which is correct. But in most cases its private as in a mining company owns a mountain and its on their land in areas they dont use. Not saying its right, but its also a little different than riding through one of our properties. There are also no "no trespassing" signs or barriers put up. These trails have been there for a long time. One of the places I stay at, the owner tells stories of helping make some of those trails 20 years ago.

The outlaw trails really have some awesome destinations and fun spots to ride. Also like HondaSXS said, there are many camp grounds that utilize the outlaw trails and are setup right next to them. Im not one to take chances when its that expensive. If they pass this, ill be done with the outlaw trails. I just cant believe they would hurt so many local businesses by doing this.
OK, that make more sense.

That is the way it was in this part of the country with 'paper company' land. We had some of the best dirtbike riding trails in the world right here at home on their land. They did not care what you did (ride bikes, hunt, fish, camp, etc) as long as you did NOT BURN their land. We used it like we owned it until about 1980 and they got greedy and decided to start leasing the land for hunting ....... broke my heart.

Reactions: JTW and sharp
Dragon21

Dragon21

Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
OK, that make more sense.

That is the way it was in this part of the country with 'paper company' land. We had some of the best dirtbike riding trails in the world right here at home on their land. They did not care what you did (ride bikes, hunt, fish, camp, etc) as long as you did NOT BURN their land. We used it like we owned it until about 1980 and they got greedy and decided to start leasing the land for hunting ....... broke my heart.
Thats how the mining companies were. As long as you didn't interfere with the mining sites it was looked past. But mining its picking up and people are going places they shouldn't. There have been instances where people have been almost run over by mining equipment, and people going into the mines as well. Not long ago some kids got trapped in a mine trying to steal stuff. (they were locals and not out of towners there to ride).

Im sure some of these trails are on a families private property. But from my understanding most of it is Mining company land.

Farmer

Farmer

🚜🔨🚛🔧
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 22, 2014
Southern MO
Ownership

1. 700-2
We used to have an awesome gravel pit with (I believe) 700 acres of attached trails here in Northern IL. I raced many hare scrambles there back in the day. Now it's closed and they're mining fracking sand out of there. Money talks. Now there isn't a decent trail to be found around here.

Ragnar406

Ragnar406

The Great Bald One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 5, 2016
Bella Vista, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
$50 per person for an annual permit at HM. $133 per machine for annual non-resident for Tennessee.
So the fees to ride the HM trails - what are they and how long is that good for. I have seen some discussion of the $50 a person - is that for a year pass? National forest here is $3 a day or there is a yearly pass you can buy for something but I just pay the $3 as it is suppose to go back into the trails. Private parks - can be $30 a day/$250 a year

Reactions: sharp
NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
So the fees to ride the HM trails - what are they and how long is that good for. I have seen some discussion of the $50 a person - is that for a year pass? National forest here is $3 a day or there is a yearly pass you can buy for something but I just pay the $3 as it is suppose to go back into the trails. Private parks - can be $30 a day/$250 a year
$50/person/calendar year

dnjones161

dnjones161

May 30, 2018
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
$50/person/calendar year

Which isn't bad for one person, but as several have mentioned, I can see where if you had a couple of kids in your machine 200 for the year could be a bit pricey, esp if you weren't going down multiple times.

I will say it seems like starting in December every year they will sell you a pass for the next year. There are typically some pretty warm weeks in December, so that's a good time to hit up the trails and get extra bang for your buck with a pass for the entire next year.

Dragon21

Dragon21

Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Which isn't bad for one person, but as several have mentioned, I can see where if you had a couple of kids in your machine 200 for the year could be a bit pricey, esp if you weren't going down multiple times.

I will say it seems like starting in December every year they will sell you a pass for the next year. There are typically some pretty warm weeks in December, so that's a good time to hit up the trails and get extra bang for your buck with a pass for the entire next year.

Yea. I think its November, typically the week before Thanksgiving. We were there the Friday-Sunday before they released them last year which sucked.

But yea, $50 a kid for maybe 1 trip a year is a lot. Especially when adding on everything else that comes with the trip. I would love to see it per machine, or kids under 10 at a reduced rate... something like that.

dnjones161

dnjones161

May 30, 2018
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Yea. I think its November, typically the week before Thanksgiving. We were there the Friday-Sunday before they released them last year which sucked.

But yea, $50 a kid for maybe 1 trip a year is a lot. Especially when adding on everything else that comes with the trip. I would love to see it per machine, or kids under 10 at a reduced rate... something like that.

Especially for out of staters. I can see where per driver would be nice for in state folks who maybe have a SXS and a quad they run.

Offering something like $100/machine or $50 per driver may be a nice way to meet riders in the middle depending on their set up.

elkaholic

elkaholic

Illegitimi non carborundum
Vendor
Lifetime Member
May 14, 2017
Ridgeway, SC
Ownership

1. Other Brand
This has been a long time coming. The HM trails have had some issues with private landowners. When I worked for a large landowner in WV, we had one heck of a time with the HM as they had some system trails across our property without permission.

The reality is that Trespassing laws should suffice for riding on private land without permission

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Honestly, I think it is cheap. Most of the riding parks I've been to are around $25/person/day. So if I go for a long weekend one time I save money in terms of the price of admission if you will. If I go back more than once it is a much better deal.

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2

Didn't HM (and many other trail systems) start out as "outlaw" trails themselves? That doesn't make it OK...but it is a bit ironic.

Vondy

Vondy

Lifetime Member
Mar 10, 2015
Houston,OH
Ownership

1. Talon X4
This has been a long time coming. The HM trails have had some issues with private landowners. When I worked for a large landowner in WV, we had one heck of a time with the HM as they had some system trails across our property without permission.

The reality is that Trespassing laws should suffice for riding on private land without permission

Agreed. Let's make another law just because the current one isn't obeyed or isn't enforced??? Doesn't make much sense.

NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
0dcdcb578e801b98e5e0af07a9438ebb

Timely email from a riding park about an hour or so from the house. Really makes HM trails seem like a bargain.

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
View attachment 110718

Timely email from a riding park about an hour or so from the house. Really makes HM trails seem like a bargain.

I got that email as well. Right into the trash bin!
A guy we camp next to buys in every year for his family. But he is a cop and off weekdays during summer. He grabs his boys and goes when it isn't busy. But I found the place super boring when I went.

NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I got that email as well. Right into the trash bin!
A guy we camp next to buys in every year for his family. But he is a cop and off weekdays during summer. He grabs his boys and goes when it isn't busy. But I found the place super boring when I went.

I enjoy M&M with my kiddo or my wife, but I'd much rather head to HM for a weekend for myself. M&M is ok for a quick day trip, but it just isn't that big and is only challenging for an LE (don't shoot the messenger).

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!