BOX1

P700m2 P 700 Frame badly rusted.

M

Moosehunter

Jan 19, 2019
Newfoundland
Ownership

1. 700-2
My frame is badly rusted . Has anyone stripped there 700 to the frame to restore it? How long and hard a job it is? Paint on frame is really peeling bad as well.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
My frame is badly rusted . Has anyone stripped there 700 to the frame to restore it? How long and hard a job it is? Paint on frame is really peeling bad as well.
First thing I would do is get a BIG bottle of patience pills, it will be a project!

Reactions: Mudwing
jwfirebird

jwfirebird

Sep 23, 2018
western ny
Ownership

1. 700-2
you could try rust converter spray, some ive used work on light surface stuff. places that hit are just going to continue rusting. normally get aluminum plates and a arm protection for that reason aside from sticks doesnt look that bad after being scraped up

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
you could try rust converter spray, some ive used work on light surface stuff. places that hit are just going to continue rusting. normally get aluminum plates and a arm protection for that reason aside from sticks doesnt look that bad after being scraped up
Yep, I didn't think to ask where it's rusted, I was thinking about a frame off paint job, DUGH! If it's just the A arms, would look into some accessory A arms and skip the paint job! I bought Super ATV arched A arms for $ 550.00, love them!

M

Moosehunter

Jan 19, 2019
Newfoundland
Ownership

1. 700-2
First thing I would do is get a BIG bottle of patience pills, it will be a project!
Yep, I didn't think to ask where it's rusted, I was thinking about a frame off paint job, DUGH! If it's just the A arms, would look into some accessory A arms and skip the paint job! I bought Super ATV arched A arms for $ 550.00, love them!

It’s the complete frame , even on the bars above my head. I believe that it was a faulty paint job to be so bad after only 4 yrs.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
It’s the complete frame , even on the bars above my head. I believe that it was a faulty paint job to be so bad after only 4 yrs.
WOW! Have you sent Honda pictures? And talked to you dealer?

Reactions: Farmer
M

Moosehunter

Jan 19, 2019
Newfoundland
Ownership

1. 700-2
WOW! Have you sent Honda pictures? And talked to you dealer?

No, it was bought used . Got a great price because of the rust so i’m Trying to find out the best way to fix the problem.
Appreciate the help

jwfirebird

jwfirebird

Sep 23, 2018
western ny
Ownership

1. 700-2
i had alot of old cars and the salt here you always have problems here, places you see want to look nice, probably get some wire wheels for a drill or grinder. they make fine ones rough would mess it up. put gloss rustoluem on that stuff. the other would just put some automotive rust converter on, some of the better stuff will seal it so it stops. did alot of stuff on my old rhino with walmart truck bed liner flat black, floor, rad sides and front bash plate were all made from metal and coated with that.

20180120 094122

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
No, it was bought used . Got a great price because of the rust so i’m Trying to find out the best way to fix the problem.
Appreciate the help
Sounds like a winter pro
Wonder where it was stored and maybe what chemicals?

Farmer

Farmer

🚜🔨🚛🔧
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 22, 2014
Southern MO
Ownership

1. 700-2
1st let's be clear.....Powder coat is far from paint in my book. Hell, I'd go as far as saying it's one of the biggest scams pushed on the public in my lifetime.

2nd, Is it surface rust or flaking metal with holes? Got pictures? If you have soft holes and flaking chips I'd be looking for new or donor parts.
3rd, I'm a big fan of OSPHO for surface rust. Sand, grind, blast or whatever it takes to get that plasticky powder crap off. OSPHO it. Then, use a good traditional primer and PAINT to fix her up.

M

Moosehunter

Jan 19, 2019
Newfoundland
Ownership

1. 700-2
i had alot of old cars and the salt here you always have problems here, places you see want to look nice, probably get some wire wheels for a drill or grinder. they make fine ones rough would mess it up. put gloss rustoluem on that stuff. the other would just put some automotive rust converter on, some of the better stuff will seal it so it stops. did alot of stuff on my old rhino with walmart truck bed liner flat black, floor, rad sides and front bash plate were all made from metal and coated with that.

View attachment 119220

Thank you , I was thinking along the same lines, rust converter, and then rustoluem. Gonna be a lot of work. That’s why I asked if anyone has ever stripped down to the frame.
1st let's be clear.....Powder coat is far from paint in my book. Hell, I'd go as far as saying it's one of the biggest scams pushed on the public in my lifetime.

2nd, Is it surface rust or flaking metal with holes? Got pictures? If you have soft holes and flaking chips I'd be looking for new or donor parts.
3rd, I'm a big fan of OSPHO for surface rust. Sand, grind, blast or whatever it takes to get that plasticky powder crap off. OSPHO it. Then, use a good traditional primer and PAINT to fix her up.

What is OSPHO ?

Farmer

Farmer

🚜🔨🚛🔧
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 22, 2014
Southern MO
Ownership

1. 700-2
Thank you , I was thinking along the same lines, rust converter, and then rustoluem. Gonna be a lot of work. That’s why I asked if anyone has ever stripped down to the frame.

What is OSPHO ?

https://www.amazon.com/SKYBRYTE-Skyco-Ospho-Surface-Prep/dp/B000C02B3W?tag=sxsweb24-20

An old farmer turned me onto it a long time ago. He said they used to use it in the navy.

I've also had good results with EvapoRust for small parts and tools. It suggests using soaked rags draped or wrapped for larger areas.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00M0TLQ66/?tag=sxsweb24-20

S

SXS12345

Mar 26, 2019
louisiana
Ownership

1. 700-2
I had a truck one time that had a rusty frame mostly cosmetic surface rust no damage. I cleaned the frame, scrubbed down with a solvent and a brush. Sprayed with some rattle can frame spray and it held up really well. Looked great to.

I really don’t understand on ATVs/UTVs why they don’t just rhino line the frames and exterior metal from the factory.

M

Moosehunter

Jan 19, 2019
Newfoundland
Ownership

1. 700-2
I had a truck one time that had a rusty frame mostly cosmetic surface rust no damage. I cleaned the frame, scrubbed down with a solvent and a brush. Sprayed with some rattle can frame spray and it held up really well. Looked great to.

I really don’t understand on ATVs/UTVs why they don’t just rhino line the frames and exterior metal from the factory.
I agree, paint is such a waste

jwfirebird

jwfirebird

Sep 23, 2018
western ny
Ownership

1. 700-2
all businesses are all about cost savings, they use a too short screw if it saves 5 cents on all the machines they certainly aren't going to spend hundreds on anything. probably why it rusts in the first place cheap thin paint

Gator

Gator

The Most Unknown Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 16, 2015
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 700-2
In a past life, I designed chainsaws.
Every Engineer was tasked with finding costs savings.
I tweaked the design and the cost of screws went from $0.009 to $0.007. 2 tenths of a penny.
We used 14 million/yr of those screws. That's close to $30,000.
I got accolades for making it more crappy.

I'm just saying, that's how desperate they are.

S

SXS12345

Mar 26, 2019
louisiana
Ownership

1. 700-2
In a past life, I designed chainsaws.
Every Engineer was tasked with finding costs savings.
I tweaked the design and the cost of screws went from $0.009 to $0.007. 2 tenths of a penny.
We used 14 million/yr of those screws. That's close to $30,000.
I got accolades for making it more crappy.

I'm just saying, that's how desperate they are.

I've always admired engineers, not something i could ever do. But i agree my company i work for spends a million dollars to save 3 so it does make sense,its all about the money.

M

Moosehunter

Jan 19, 2019
Newfoundland
Ownership

1. 700-2
all businesses are all about cost savings, they use a too short screw if it saves 5 cents on all the machines they certainly aren't going to spend hundreds on anything. probably why it rusts in the first place cheap thin paint

I’d rather pay the extra and also for stainless steel screws. Rusted screws look like crap

Reactions: Farmer
BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!