P1000m5 P1000-5 dead cylinder

J

josh8535

Jan 23, 2018
Jacksboro, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I’m new to the site so apologies if this has been discussed on another thread. This all started a couple weeks ago when I was headed back from a ride in the snow and my machine started running rough and lost most of its power. Took it to the dealer and they said there was water in the fuel and they replaced spark plugs, drained tank, and put in new fuel. Brought it home , rode it around 20 miles, and it kept getting worse so I pulled the fuel pump and found it had mud in the filter and in the tank (I’m guessing it came in through the vent line). So I relocated the vent line to under the roof, replaced the fuel pump and filter, cleaned out the injectors and fuel lines, cleaned the tank, and put everything back together. Started it up and it was much better but still had a miss. It turns out that the rear cylinder is down, so I changed the spark plug and still down. I swapped the ignition coils and plug wire and still down. There is a real strong fuel smell so I would assume the injectors are still clear. I would appreciate any guidance or help before I have to make another trip to the dealer....thanks.

Reactions: jdh_1 and sharp
elkaholic

elkaholic

Illegitimi non carborundum
Vendor
Lifetime Member
May 14, 2017
Ridgeway, SC
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Have you run a compression test? It would be helpful to know compression pressures ...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Throw some gas line antifreeze in the tank. That will help with the fuel problem.
If you are smelling unburnt fuel, it is spark or compression related.
Is your dash throwing any codes?
Pull your fuel lines, run a gallon of fuel thru the lines, that should clear any water out.
Then hook up and try again.

70Bones

70Bones

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2017
New Brunswick Canada
Remove that spark plug, put a few drops of gas in the cylinder, install the plug, and see if that cylinder runs for a few seconds before going back to being dead. If it does, there is still water in the line, or the fuel line is leaking at the injector, creating a strong gas smell...

Dirtstiffs-1000

Dirtstiffs-1000

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Nov 3, 2018
Republican from the wet side of Oregonifornia
hondasxs.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Take it back to the freaking dealer for a fix.
Pardon me, but all the suggested fixes are valid and good ideas, but my feeling is your deeper in than normal maintenance. Sorry for my splash into a new forum.
Good luck

Jim

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I’m new to the site so apologies if this has been discussed on another thread. This all started a couple weeks ago when I was headed back from a ride in the snow and my machine started running rough and lost most of its power. Took it to the dealer and they said there was water in the fuel and they replaced spark plugs, drained tank, and put in new fuel. Brought it home , rode it around 20 miles, and it kept getting worse so I pulled the fuel pump and found it had mud in the filter and in the tank (I’m guessing it came in through the vent line). So I relocated the vent line to under the roof, replaced the fuel pump and filter, cleaned out the injectors and fuel lines, cleaned the tank, and put everything back together. Started it up and it was much better but still had a miss. It turns out that the rear cylinder is down, so I changed the spark plug and still down. I swapped the ignition coils and plug wire and still down. There is a real strong fuel smell so I would assume the injectors are still clear. I would appreciate any guidance or help before I have to make another trip to the dealer....thanks.
Have you ever submerged in a hole of water / mud?

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Pardon me, but all the suggested fixes are valid and good ideas, but my feeling is your deeper in than normal maintenance. Sorry for my splash into a new forum.
Good luck

Jim
WELCOME!

snuffnwhisky

snuffnwhisky

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 21, 2016
Cullman, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
You can use an inferred temp gun on the headers to see which one is colder to see which one has a problem.

Reactions: Neohio
Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Good luck

Jim
He did take it to the dealer, then had issues again. How much money should he throw after a problem? We have offered a few inexpensive things to try before sending it back to the dealer. Any issues that the dealer blames on bad fuel will be paid out of his pocket, not billed as warranty.

Reactions: dilligaff82 and JTW
alloutdoors

alloutdoors

Jan 21, 2018
US
Ownership

1. 500

2. 700-4

3. Do not currently own
I agree with some comments above, the dealer is calling this a fuel issue and then it you're problem unless you want to pay for the cure. I really doubt there is a compression/lost cylinder, but more likely you got bad fuel some how, so I would go through the pain of cleaning out the tank, blow out the fuel lines, install new plugs and put in a premium non-ethanol blend gas.… I strongly suspect it will run perfectly afterwards....

Reactions: Neohio
Dirtstiffs-1000

Dirtstiffs-1000

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Nov 3, 2018
Republican from the wet side of Oregonifornia
hondasxs.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Understood.
I read that he had completely cleaned the fuel system; replaced the pump, filter, cleaned the tank, rerouted the vent and added new fuel...plugs...coil - wire swap.

I'm new to Pioneer SXS's and this parallel twin.

With other late model Hondas I own, there is a ECM/ECU reset procedure that usually corrects most fuel-ignition issues. Is there one for this ECU?

Believing everything I read on the interweb.. isn't this motor the same platform as the Africa Twin?
Scanning through AT forums, there are several reset procedures for a variety of issues.

With my F6B Goldwing and VTX 1800 Vtwin;
the process is starting it cold and letting idle until the radiator fans come on, turn off, cycle the key and the result was a reset.

Took care of a common well known cold engine stumble and many guys will say the engine ran much better overall.

Just a suggestion.

Last edited:
Reactions: Smitty335
R

Rhpayne30

Jul 17, 2022
Jasper Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
My issue was the injector itself. It would spray fuel fine when it was removed from the intake manifold but once I installed it back it would not spray. I guess the solenoid would not engage under pressure? Regardless all I had to do was replace the injector with a 75$ oem one from eBay. Runs great now.

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
My issue was the injector itself. It would spray fuel fine when it was removed from the intake manifold but once I installed it back it would not spray. I guess the solenoid would not engage under pressure? Regardless all I had to do was replace the injector with a 75$ oem one from eBay. Runs great now.
Pics?

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I don't understand the obsession with pics of the machine. Like, we all know what a Pioneer looks like.
A lot of us are't good with the written word, we like pictures! HA!

Reactions: trigger

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!