bumperm

bumperm

May 7, 2021
Gardnerville, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
So, here is a picture of my baby on the operating room floor:

And here's a pic of the failed surgery:

The lighter color in the center of the bolts are actually the "easyout" that broke on BOTH of the bolts. Cheap crap. Anyone have any suggestions of where I can get a good quality/STRONG easyout?

I'm guess I'm going to have to re-drill and this time, now that I have read @snuffnwhisky comment, drill all the way through and re-soak with penetrating oil. But will that drain the oil? What's on the other side of the broken bolt?

Or I'm going to have to learn how to weld or find someone who can to do the nut trick for me.

As @Smitty335 said, don't even try to drill for another EZ-out attempt. That metal is hardened steel and you'll make a mess of things.

Welding a nut on is really the best solution at this point. Soak them real good, for now, with penetrating oil.

snuffnwhisky

snuffnwhisky

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 21, 2016
Cullman, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
So, here is a picture of my baby on the operating room floor:

View attachment 395948

And here's a pic of the failed surgery:
View attachment 395949

The lighter color in the center of the bolts are actually the "easyout" that broke on BOTH of the bolts. Cheap crap. Anyone have any suggestions of where I can get a good quality/STRONG easyout?

I'm guess I'm going to have to re-drill and this time, now that I have read @snuffnwhisky comment, drill all the way through and re-soak with penetrating oil. But will that drain the oil? What's on the other side of the broken bolt?

Or I'm going to have to learn how to weld or find someone who can to do the nut trick for me.
Its a blind hole. There will be air space behind the bolt when breaking through. But the easyouts are really hard and really hard to get out if broken. I would weld a nut to them.

GPR1500SC

GPR1500SC

Lifetime Member
Mar 3, 2016
North East MO
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X LV
I like to weld a flat washer on first then weld a nut to the washer I think it is easier to get good penetration into the twisted off bolt welding a washer fast rather than trying to weld inside of a small nut.

bumperm

bumperm

May 7, 2021
Gardnerville, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Exhibit A in why I haven't used an "easy" out in years, and will probably never use one again. F those things. Easy my ass.

I haven't either @P1K5Dave , but that said, using them is okay, IF done right. firstly, I use a left hand twist drill bit (it's handy to have a set), as there's a good chance the recalcitrant threaded shaft will back out while drilling. I have a lathe, so if the break is recessed, I can make an insert sleeve to keep the drill perfectly centered (it's the pits to have a drill go off center). I know not to apply too much torque and break the dang brittle EZ-out.

EZ-outs have their place, but you gotta know when to stop and go for welding a nut on.

RingMaster

RingMaster

Lifetime Member
Mar 12, 2017
Little Rock, Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Wow, this is a possible failure point I was unaware of. My '18 with 14K miles is going to get an inspection.

When you get a chance, please verify the bolt size (and length.) I'd like to get a set on order before I even look at it.
Sorry it took a while to reply to you P1K5Dave. Here is a pic of the Honda part number 95701-1902500 it's 25mm long and 10 mm wide. I found these M10-1.25 metric 8.8 at Home Depot that match threads exactly. I have no idea if the strength/grade is good enough or not... probably not.

20230716 122147

RingMaster

RingMaster

Lifetime Member
Mar 12, 2017
Little Rock, Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Well, we had about 5 guys lose a battle with these stupid broken bolts yesterday. We couldn't get a drill to bite through the broken bolt extractors so we resorted to trying the welding a nut to the broken bolt trick, and failed on that too. The weld wouldn't hold with a wire welder. After a couple of hours we gave up for the day and took our ice chests to the lake.

I'm not sure what my next move is now. I'll have to wait for some type of motivation to try it again.

Thanks for you guys help in any case.

RingMaster

RingMaster

Lifetime Member
Mar 12, 2017
Little Rock, Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hess makes a brace like this for Talons, I don't see why it wouldn't fit pioneers as well.
I was wondering about that too. But I would still have to get the two broken bolts out in order to bolt on the brace. Unless I just used the single bolt at the top of the brace and just left the bottom two bolts completely off. But I'm afraid that single bolt would break the engine case at some point.

H

HondaTech

I was wondering about that too. But I would still have to get the two broken bolts out in order to bolt on the brace. Unless I just used the single bolt at the top of the brace and just left the bottom two bolts completely off. But I'm afraid that single bolt would break the engine case at some point.

I meant for future prevention. I wouldn't run without those two bolts, its just gonna break something else

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Hess makes a brace like this for Talons, I don't see why it wouldn't fit pioneers as well.

the Hess Mount would fit the engine, but it won’t fit the bracket that mounts to the frame without some custom fabrication. So my thought is that if I was doing custom fabrication, it was a lot easier to modify the factory pioneer mount.

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5

Let’s go ride stony lonesome after we fix this motor mount. It’s a local park around here. It won’t take but a couple hours to fix it. Show up on Friday afternoon and we’ll fix it that evening then ride Saturday and you can return Sunday.

NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Let’s go ride stony lonesome after we fix this motor mount. It’s a local park around here. It won’t take but a couple hours to fix it. Show up on Friday afternoon and we’ll fix it that evening then ride Saturday and you can return Sunday.
Can’t beat that offer
Nomojic

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R

DOOD, jump right on this offer, right NOW - no excuses, load up, drive - who doesn't like a road trip and U get yer buggy fixed to boot. 😍 (nomotho)

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!