P1000 P1K reverse override??

ButchersHook

ButchersHook

May 13, 2015
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I was not a big fan of the 10mph cut-out on the 700 does it still exist on the 1000??

HP, Top speed, low range etc etc... Has anyone put it into REVERSE yet?

N

Ned

May 12, 2015
West Kentucky
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I was not a big fan of the 10mph cut-out on the 700 does it still exist on the 1000??

HP, Top speed, low range etc etc... Has anyone put it into REVERSE yet?

So I tried it yesterday. Sure enough I get to about 14 and it cuts out. Foolish me, although it didn't sound like I was revving really high rpm's, I didn't look at the tach and I may just have been bouncing of the rev limiter. It felt as if it was being shut down, I will look more carefully next time.

Stauvo

Stauvo

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 25, 2015
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Really? They put that in? That reminds me of an old Polaris Sportsman we had, but could press a button and override for when stuck etc. Hate to cut into system but dang you need fast reverse every now and then.

N

Ned

May 12, 2015
West Kentucky
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Really? They put that in? That reminds me of an old Polaris Sportsman we had, but could press a button and override for when stuck etc. Hate to cut into system but dang you need fast reverse every now and then.

Don't get me wrong, it pulls beautifully in reverse and 14 mph seems pretty fast to me. I wouldn't even have tested for it if someone had not asked about it. I can't imagine a situation where it would matter.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Ya. 14 should be good enough.
But more is better. Lol.
WRONG...
Not sure what speed I was at today.. I hit the limit fairly easy.
It was unacceptable as I was not even looking for the limit.
When you hit (x) speed the ECU cuts it off and it begins to spit and spudder... You petty much loose all available power.
This is UNACCEPTABLE when in mud hole and you need full power in reverse.
Honda... Kill the gears, not the power!
More test soon.

gatorguy

gatorguy

May 15, 2015
Florida
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
I got my P500 stuck a couple of months ago, stopped put it in 4wd and floored it in reverse and it jumped right out. There was no hint of a loss of power or ECU cut out. I don't think the ECU will cut out in all conditions like it does when you're just backing up on a normal surface. I know they're different machines but I'm sure they'll be engineered in similar ways.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
@gatorguy, the 500 has a actual "reverse" gear. It can be pegged out at top RPM. In the 700 and 1000 reverse is controlled by a sub transmission gear using 1st gear for reverse.
But Honda thinks 1st gear is too fast so they limit it by speed.

gatorguy

gatorguy

May 15, 2015
Florida
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Good to know! Another reason to like the P500

Last edited:
Reactions: bobbyhill
advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!