P1000 P1K3 or Po Po General

C

caddyman

Hey folks
I am new to forum and love all the great info and advice etc.
My first SXS purchase and currently on the fence. Interested in P1k3 LE or Polaris General dlx. Both 2017 models. I researched a lot and am aware of some of the issues or shortcomings on both. I guess there will be quirks or issues with any brand you buy.
Work/play. More play than anything
Will not beat the crap out of the machine driving in deep mud puts etc.
Casual/trail riding both pavement and dirt
I looked at both. Didn't get a chance to drive either of them. First impression fit and finish seemed better on Honda. Course dealers pushing Polaris like crazy and some even stock Honda.
My concern is getting used to the DCT vs traditional CVT we all know. Is one more noise than the other? Heat? hopefully Honda did something on 2017 model.
Are the seats on the pioneer really that comfortable on longer rides?
Looking for any advice good or bad. Its a big purchase for sure. Feels its always best to find out from actual owners. I know this is a Honda forum so probably won't get much feedback on the po po.
Ultimately i will need to go test drive both and then make my own decision.
If i decide Honda will have to wait till February when they come in.
Thanks

Reactions: Smitty335
sharp

sharp

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 27, 2016
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hey folks
My first SXS purchase and currently on the fence. Interested in P1k3 LE or Polaris General dlx. Both 2017 models. I researched a lot and am aware of some of the issues or shortcomings on both. I guess there will be quirks or issues with any brand you buy.
I looked at both. Didn't get a chance to drive either of them. First impression fit and finish seemed better on Honda. Course dealers pushing Polaris like crazy and some even stock Honda.
My concern is getting used to the DCT vs traditional CVT we all know. Is one more noise than the other? Heat? hopefully Honda did something on 2017 model.
Looking for any advice good or bad. Its a big purchase for sure. Feels its always best to find out from actual owners. I know this is a Honda forum so probably won't get much feedback on the po po.
Thanks
The polaris seats 2 the p1k seats 3 or 5 with same wheelbase. The DCT is easy to get used to. The polaris is smoother and has a softer suspension. The honda has a larger bed for work and cooler/camping supplies. Honda is easier to get in and out of. The polaris just seems made cheap. The honda seems like better quality. They are both hot in the cab. The polaris looks better with the graphics. I've had both and like the honda better. Good luck with your decision.

nbomar

nbomar

Lifetime Member
Oct 11, 2015
Springdale, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I came from the Polaris world. Had 2 Rzr 4's. both had stupid little issues that drove me crazy. I put more ball joints and bushings in the arms on those things than you would believe. I actually never had a belt go out but I smoked it several times. You could smell it. The Polaris definitely has the Honda beat on power and suspension. Just depends what you want. I like riding in my Honda (seat position) more than my Polaris. I ended up putting prp full suspension seats in my Polaris. Then if was comfortable but a huge pain to get in and out of. We own a cattle farm and opening the pro armor doors and climbing in and out was a nightmare. I think Polaris makes a good machine but be prepared to work on it more than you would a Honda. I haven't had a single issue out of my clutches and I'm not shy to beat on it. I've backed up some 30+ degree slopes at our farm and it didn't even slow down. Don't let someone scare you away from the Honda or the Polaris. Go drive both and decide how much you want to spend...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Hey folks
Thanks
Definitely test both, If I was rich I would have a Razor & Pioneer 1000. If you are going to spend most of your time on trail pushing it, go with the General. Me I went with the Pioneer 1000-5, haul the dogs, wife, shovels, chain saw and what ever the wife wants to take along with us and its real handy for chores and it pretty darn good in the woods if you don't want to haul buns, it will haul biscuits though. And I very rarely use 4 wheel drive. HA

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Definitely test both, If I was rich I would have a Razor & Pioneer 1000. If you are going to spend most of your time on trail pushing it, go with the General. Me I went with the Pioneer 1000-5, haul the dogs, wife, shovels, chain saw and what ever the wife wants to take along with us and its real handy for chores and it pretty darn good in the woods if you don't want to haul buns, it will haul biscuits though. And I very rarely use 4 wheel drive. HA
Forgot, budget for a skid plate # 1 investment

Reactions: QuadMan747
Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
P1K3 Limited Edition! Why...it is an impressive piece of machinery with new features which are industry leading!
Before I consider a Limited I'm going to wait a couple of years and see if the fixes on the existing transmissions work for the long haul. And I hardly use 4WD at White Rock Mountain now, in fact I ride most of to trails in Turf mode, no not roads, step trails.

Eltobgi

Eltobgi

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 21, 2016
North Dakota
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
That's the nice thing about the LE! Changes have been made! I say don't sit on the sidelines and wait...get in the game;)

Amre2me2

Amre2me2

Aug 11, 2016
Colorado
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I am good friends with the owner of the largest dealership in Denver. He sells a ton of side by sides and loves polaris's. Last year I sat down with him and asked him his personal opinion. I too was looking at the General. He told me he LOVES his polaris's but only because he makes so much money from them. He told me flat out, the best machine out there right now is the Pioneer hands down. He loves Polaris only because he makes so much money from them because he sells so many of them and because he repairs so many of them. His own personal machine is a P1K3.

QuadMan747

QuadMan747

Nov 7, 2016
Connecticut
www.cccmx.com
Ownership

1. 700-4

2. Other Brand
I am good friends with the owner of the largest dealership in Denver. He sells a ton of side by sides and loves polaris's. Last year I sat down with him and asked him his personal opinion. I too was looking at the General. He told me he LOVES his polaris's but only because he makes so much money from them. He told me flat out, the best machine out there right now is the Pioneer hands down. He loves Polaris only because he makes so much money from them because he sells so many of them and because he repairs so many of them. His own personal machine is a P1K3.
In the movie version of the Grinch right now he would laugh "HAR HAR!!" LOL

C

caddyman

What did you end up buying or do you own a Pioneer?

C

caddyman

Guys
I am heading to dealer next week. They are multi unit dealer Honda, Polaris, Kawasaki and Yamaha. Course like i said they are pushing the Polaris and say they sale 20:1 to the Honda blah blah blah. May be the case maybe not. I get mixed feelings asking dealer questions if any particular unit has had issues etc. If they are selling only one brand they will be more less tight lipped and don't want to jeopardize a sale. Now if its multi unit dealer they may be more open on what they tell you. That is the impression i have gotten doing my research. Course that is why I am here posting.
The Polaris General with the front diff/driveline issues really turns me off. I am not clear what is resolving this or if its a wide spread problem. I think its a combination of traits or design of front diff and driveshafts phasing or balance issues.
Reliability is first on my list
I have read through many post on this website to find a lot of answers to my questions or similar posts like mine. I really like this site and hope to get more feedback.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I've had problems with both. The polaris has lots of little things you're messing with all the time. And then the big ones you have to wait for a recall on. The tolerance on manufacturing is garbage ask any repair shop they hate working on Honda. I drove a general and was impressed with suspension and seat comfort that was about it. You could feel how cheap it was.Even with a couple issues I still stand behind Honda.

C

caddyman

I've had problems with both. The polaris has lots of little things you're messing with all the time. And then the big ones you have to wait for a recall on. The tolerance on manufacturing is garbage ask any repair shop they hate working on Honda. I drove a general and was impressed with suspension and seat comfort that was about it. You could feel how cheap it was.Even with a couple issues I still stand behind Honda.
You mean they hate working on Polaris?
I cannot comment on Polaris repairs first hand as i never owned one. But i agree based off what i hear from other people that own/owned them.

Reactions: CumminsPusher
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
You mean they hate working on Polaris?
I cannot comment on Polaris repairs first hand as i never owned one. But i agree based off what i hear from other people that own/owned them.

No they hate working on Honda. The specs are so tight. When I had the water issue with mine I talked to several people that said a rebuild on a Honda Motor will never be the same whereas a rebuild on a Polaris they can do a better job than factory did

C

caddyman

No they hate working on Honda. The specs are so tight. When I had the water issue with mine I talked to several people that said a rebuild on a Honda Motor will never be the same whereas a rebuild on a Polaris they can do a better job than factory did

LOL!!!

Reactions: CumminsPusher
C

caddyman

P1K3 Limited Edition! Why...it is an impressive piece of machinery with new features which are industry leading!
Maybe I will test the grounds on new LE and report back. I hate to think of me being a test person for new technology. Am i concerned? Not really. Is there more stuff that can break? Yes. Did Honda do their homework? I very well hope so. I agree with some on the KISS principle, however I like new technology as well. I really don't want to wait any longer to purchase the "perfect" SXS. If that is the case I will be waiting forever and miss out on all that ride time....

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!