Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I came from the Polaris world. Had 2 Rzr 4's. both had stupid little issues that drove me crazy. I put more ball joints and bushings in the arms on those things than you would believe. I actually never had a belt go out but I smoked it several times. You could smell it. The Polaris definitely has the Honda beat on power and suspension. Just depends what you want. I like riding in my Honda (seat position) more than my Polaris. I ended up putting prp full suspension seats in my Polaris. Then if was comfortable but a huge pain to get in and out of. We own a cattle farm and opening the pro armor doors and climbing in and out was a nightmare. I think Polaris makes a good machine but be prepared to work on it more than you would a Honda. I haven't had a single issue out of my clutches and I'm not shy to beat on it. I've backed up some 30+ degree slopes at our farm and it didn't even slow down. Don't let someone scare you away from the Honda or the Polaris. Go drive both and decide how much you want to spend...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I would love to have a BAD BUTT RZR, but thats not in the budget to own two, Ill take my Honda as # 1 choose on my budget, but if I win the lottery there will be a RZR in my shop.

J

JTW

Maybe I will test the grounds on new LE and report back. I hate to think of me being a test person for new technology. Am i concerned? Not really. Is there more stuff that can break? Yes. Did Honda do their homework? I very well hope so. I agree with some on the KISS principle, however I like new technology as well. I really don't want to wait any longer to purchase the "perfect" SXS. If that is the case I will be waiting forever and miss out on all that ride time....
I think the Honda 1000-5 and the Yamaha wolverine are the two best options out there right now. Two seats or 5?

Reactions: Smitty335
Tflynn

Tflynn

Not a liberal
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 12, 2015
Northern California
Ownership

1. 700-2
And keep in mind when people say the general has better suspension they're comparing to stock Honda shocks, not the fox shocks your LE would have. Could be the LE has as good or better suspension, we just don't know yet...

Reactions: sharp
QuadMan747

QuadMan747

Nov 7, 2016
Connecticut
www.cccmx.com
Ownership

1. 700-4

2. Other Brand
No they hate working on Honda. The specs are so tight. When I had the water issue with mine I talked to several people that said a rebuild on a Honda Motor will never be the same whereas a rebuild on a Polaris they can do a better job than factory did

ouch

Reactions: moparornocar
W

wyodlr

Aug 15, 2016
Cody Wyoming
Ownership

1. 1000-5
In my experience the Polaris will cost you lots more in the long run , they aren't what they used to be since they went with the ade in China bearings ,hubs and a lot of other parts. A mechanic for the dealer here said you are lucky to get 3,000 miles on the new Polaris's before the need motor work and wheel bearings and ball joints are always failing

C

caddyman

Ok got the day off and made a trip to the dealer (couldn't wait till next week). I drove P1k5 as they didn't have 3 seater. I am impressed! Started good on 30F day. It was smooth and quiet. Was able to get it up to 40mph in space i had to ride. Turf mode is awesome. Some folks say these are noisy. I didn't think so at all. Yes there is some noise on gears or what have you but no where near annoying. Shifting was smooth and precise. Didn't test every little thing. No test drive on Polaris. Not going to bother.
Gonna pull the trigger next week and get LE 3 seater ordered. In Stoked!!!!! It should arrive sometime in February maybe later.
Thanks for all the feedback! I know its a few months off but will post pics when it arrives.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Congratulations! It really is a better rig then the general. And now you'll have the same shocks so that smooth ride the popo has over the Honda is out the window.

H

hondabob

Lifetime Member
May 14, 2013
Prescott Valley, AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
The General is more of a sport model but after owning 3 Polaris models I will never buy another. Polaris just came out with a warning about carrying extra gas. Probably about half of the fire problems were from leaking gas cans. The General has the air intakes up under the hood in clean air. I like that. It has more wheel travel and should be faster in the rough stuff. The belt drive sucks on all UTV's and you can expect to do a rebuild every 10,000 miles or less at a cost of about $1,700 plus the General will cost more then the Honda. I really like what Polaris did with the wide cab. Polaris quality should be much better now but you probably would have more problems with the miles. The RZR 1000 has way better performance and has a $3,000 rebate now but it has lots of problems. Check out the General on the Forum to see if it has problems like the RZR 1000. I have over 4,000 miles on my Pioneer 1000-3 with no problems and have the Fox Shocks on order.

C

caddyman

The General is more of a sport model but after owning 3 Polaris models I will never buy another. Polaris just came out with a warning about carrying extra gas. Probably about half of the fire problems were from leaking gas cans. The General has the air intakes up under the hood in clean air. I like that. It has more wheel travel and should be faster in the rough stuff. The belt drive sucks on all UTV's and you can expect to do a rebuild every 10,000 miles or less at a cost of about $1,700 plus the General will cost more then the Honda. I really like what Polaris did with the wide cab. Polaris quality should be much better now but you probably would have more problems with the miles. The RZR 1000 has way better performance and has a $3,000 rebate now but it has lots of problems. Check out the General on the Forum to see if it has problems like the RZR 1000. I have over 4,000 miles on my Pioneer 1000-3 with no problems and have the Fox Shocks on order.
I spent probably 4 months researching various SXS models. Most buy Polaris. I don't always follow the masses just because someone says its better or "we sale more" and that makes them better. Its up to the buyer to do due diligence research. Polaris likes to market HP ratings etc. I don't care about 100HP let along 200HP. Its not necessary to have at least for me. If anything the higher HP makes the driver push it harder thus causing more issues. Every unit has its pros and cons. I am sure the General is a nice machine for what it is. I don't know how Polaris can offer $3000 rebates. Its crazy! You won't see that offered on General DLX. Wouldn't make me happy if i purchased that model prior to the rebate offer. Good luck with your FOX shocks. I seen another thread folks talking about the cost. Are they $800 and change for the pair or per shock?

sporttrac4x4

sporttrac4x4

Lifetime Member
Jan 7, 2016
ILL.
Ownership

1. Other Brand
They would have to give me a life supply of bushings bearings and belts before I would buy a Polaris. I have over 1600 miles on my Pioneer 1000-5 and have not replaced anything thing yet except for maintenance items like oil gas and filters.

nbomar

nbomar

Lifetime Member
Oct 11, 2015
Springdale, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I will say that Polaris has much better aftermarket support and much better oem accessories. Honda is late to the game so maybe that will get better but until the total units sold gets higher I think we will be doing a lot of custom accessories and trying to find stuff we like.

ncred02

ncred02

Jul 16, 2015
Raleigh NC
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Just Google which machine is most reliable and that should help with your purchase.

Reactions: CumminsPusher
sharp

sharp

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 27, 2016
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Just Google which machine is most reliable and that should help with your purchase.

Reactions: CumminsPusher
J

JTW

I spent probably 4 months researching various SXS models. Most buy Polaris. I don't always follow the masses just because someone says its better or "we sale more" and that makes them better. Its up to the buyer to do due diligence research. Polaris likes to market HP ratings etc. I don't care about 100HP let along 200HP. Its not necessary to have at least for me. If anything the higher HP makes the driver push it harder thus causing more issues. Every unit has its pros and cons. I am sure the General is a nice machine for what it is. I don't know how Polaris can offer $3000 rebates. Its crazy! You won't see that offered on General DLX. Wouldn't make me happy if i purchased that model prior to the rebate offer. Good luck with your FOX shocks. I seen another thread folks talking about the cost. Are they $800 and change for the pair or per shock?
He said per pair!

H

hondabob

Lifetime Member
May 14, 2013
Prescott Valley, AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
The 2016 RZR1000 has the $3,000 rebate. Polaris has lots of models and especially Sport models and they will be the sales leader in the Sport market for awhile. Can-Am and Honda should have new sport models next year. Honda is #2 in the Utility market now. 3 of my Dune buddies all sold their RZR's and bought the 2017 Maverick Turbo. With the improved ride with aftermarket shocks the only complaint I have with my Pioneer 1000 is the seats. I had the high end fox shocks on my 2016 Yamaha Wolverine. I do a lot of 5 hour plus rides. I can certainly see how the General will be a good seller for Polaris.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Guys
I am heading to dealer next week. They are multi unit dealer Honda, Polaris, Kawasaki and Yamaha. Course like i said they are pushing the Polaris and say they sale 20:1 to the Honda blah blah blah. May be the case maybe not. I get mixed feelings asking dealer questions if any particular unit has had issues etc. If they are selling only one brand they will be more less tight lipped and don't want to jeopardize a sale. Now if its multi unit dealer they may be more open on what they tell you. That is the impression i have gotten doing my research. Course that is why I am here posting.
The Polaris General with the front diff/driveline issues really turns me off. I am not clear what is resolving this or if its a wide spread problem. I think its a combination of traits or design of front diff and driveshafts phasing or balance issues.
Reliability is first on my list
I have read through many post on this website to find a lot of answers to my questions or similar posts like mine. I really like this site and hope to get more feedback.
Don't ask a dealer anything about quality, service or dependability. Do your own research, then go buy!

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!