P1K5 jerky during moderate and hard acceleration

R

RLovgren

Lifetime Member
Oct 7, 2019
Albemarle NC
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have a new (only 30 miles so far) 2021 P1K5 Deluxe and I appear to have acceleration issues. I didn't notice it right away because I was only travelling no more than about 15 mph on my property. Today I took it out on the road and during moderate and hard acceleration at medium speeds in the middle gears ( I didn't get to go fast enough to see how it was in the upper gears) it was jerky and bucking. It has always been jerky at very low speeds but I have been able to control/eliminate that by feathering the gas pedal. I have also read on this site that this behavior at low speeds was common on this SXS so I wasn't too alarmed. Does anyone else have this problem or a solution? As it stands right now this machine is not roadworthy. Thanks

Randy

Reactions: Rayger143 and ChadD
HBarlow

HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
It's hard to understand what your machine is doing from your limited description.

If you press the accelerator pedal to the floor and hold it from a dead stop the machine will launch rather abruptly and the engine will quickly rev to redline in first gear, instantaneously shift firmly into 2nd gear, and then repeat into 3rd, 4th, 5th, and ultimately into 6th gear if you keep the accelerator pressed to the floor. You will feel a definite lurch during the 1-2 and 2-3 shifts and softer but perceptible surges during the 3-4, 4-5, and 5-6 upshifts.

If the condition I described is what you experienced, it is normal because Honda uses a "DCT" (dual clutch transmission) which is a computer-controlled six speed manual transmission. The DCT is, by far, the best drivetrain in the off-road ATV and SxS industry.

DRZRon1

DRZRon1

May 11, 2019
PA
Ownership

1. Talon X
considering u haven't been in the upper gears, difficult to tell if its normal DCT herky jerky or another problem, do u hear a clunk when it is happening? if so, this is the beast!!!

the good news, with miles, it does loosen up a little as the clutches get some time on them, also, the brain/ecm needs time to adapt to your driving.

my advice, hammer down a little and start to get used to the DCT.

Reactions: Rayger143 and ChadD
R

RLovgren

Lifetime Member
Oct 7, 2019
Albemarle NC
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I did a clutch re learn, rode it in both the Sport and Manual mode, and did some hammer down acceleration. I also drove it at normal speeds - about 45 mph. With so few miles on it, and just driving it around at very slow speeds, I don't think I gave it a chance. I think it has adapted more to normal driving. The problem seems to be solved. The advice all of you have given me seems to have worked. Thank you all for your expertise

Randy

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!