P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I made the mistake of checking the damn spark arrestor again a while ago, now I'm down to 1 of 3 bolts holding the exhaust tip on there.

One was broke off when I bought the machine. I religiously applied anti-seize to the other two - but this time, one twisted off. Those bolts are so soft you don't even know you're twisting it.

So today I went to look at what I need to do to get those two broken bolts out of there, and thought "what if I just bought a new muffler?"

And HOLY SH*T - I looked that thing up and it's $590! Damn...

mlynch001

mlynch001

Oct 7, 2020
Dardanelle, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I made the mistake of checking the damn spark arrestor again a while ago, now I'm down to 1 of 3 bolts holding the exhaust tip on there.

One was broke off when I bought the machine. I religiously applied anti-seize to the other two - but this time, one twisted off. Those bolts are so soft you don't even know you're twisting it.

So today I went to look at what I need to do to get those two broken bolts out of there, and thought "what if I just bought a new muffler?"

The Catalytic converter adds a lot to the price of a simple muffler. Have you looked at the possibility of using RivetNuts? That is what I was thinking about after my last "go-around" with mine. I have not broken a bolt, but I am just fortunate that mine came out OK.

Reactions: JenElio
P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
That's a possibility, thanks @mlynch001.

I just bought a new rivnut tool and a bunch of them to go with it, so a possible use for them. I figured this would be a good place to try the "weld a nut on it" approach and see if it works.

I can tell you what I'm not going to do: "Easy out." In quotations because they ain't easy, and nothing comes out. F those things.

JenElio

JenElio

NTC's NoMo Chupacabra Caliente!!....
Lifetime Member
Oct 31, 2019
Loxahatchee, florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

Spin the tip a tad and run some self tappers in that mofo. I wouldn't even bother spending time taking the old out, grind them down if need be and be done 🤷‍♂️

My unsolicited 2 cents 😂

• Haha
Reactions: Coeus and NTCPrezJB
mlynch001

mlynch001

Oct 7, 2020
Dardanelle, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
That's a possibility, thanks @mlynch001.

I just bought a new rivnut tool and a bunch of them to go with it, so a possible use for them. I figured this would be a good place to try the "weld a nut on it" approach and see if it works.

I can tell you what I'm not going to do: "Easy out." In quotations because they ain't easy, and nothing comes out. F those things.
Weld a Nut does work, if you are careful. One thing I learned was to heat the local area "dull red", then "shock" it by rapid cooling, THEN after it cools, weld the nut on and attempt removal. This is a trick that my fabricator dad taught me over 50 years ago. I have used it many times. I have used an EZ out with success, but I have also seen more that failed than those that worked.

P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Spin the tip a tad and run some self tappers in that mofo. I wouldn't even bother spending time taking the old out, grind them down if need be and be done 🤷‍♂️

My unsolicited 2 cents 😂
I'm assuming there's a little more structure in the muffler at the points the bolts went into, aren't there? Or, if it's a solid ring, your idea may be a winner...

JenElio

JenElio

Lifetime Member
Oct 31, 2019
Loxahatchee, florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
I'm assuming there's a little more structure in the muffler at the points the bolts went into, aren't there? Or, if it's a solid ring, your idea may be a winner...
That area where the tip is bolted on is doubled up from the inside. It's got like a 2" reinforcement flange from the inside. There's plenty of metal to self tap into. I ended up cutting the ends of my muffler in search of that stupid annoying rattling sound, that's how I know....🙄

Reactions: TripleB
mlynch001

mlynch001

Oct 7, 2020
Dardanelle, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
That area where the tip is bolted on is doubled up from the inside. It's got like a 2" reinforcement flange from the inside. There's plenty of metal to self tap into. I ended up cutting the ends of my muffler in search of that stupid annoying rattling sound, that's how I know....🙄
If you cut off both ends of the muffler, can you tell me what is on the other end of the muffler? The end without the outlet.

P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I think there may have been a thread with pics, wasn't there @JenElio ? If so, I'd like to see it again as well...

JenElio

JenElio

Lifetime Member
Oct 31, 2019
Loxahatchee, florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
If you cut off both ends of the muffler, can you tell me what is on the other end of the muffler? The end without the outlet.

I think there may have been a thread with pics, wasn't there @JenElio ? If so, I'd like to see it again as well...
There's nothing at the other end. And believe it or not I didn't think to take any pics of when I actually opened both ends. I actually ended up swapping the ends on the muffler........ exhaust tip is on the driver side now......🤷‍♂️ I was bored 😂.

Here's a crude sketch of what I noticed inside.
IMG 20230921 124659773

By moving the tip over to the opposite side it does sound just a bit 🤏 louder but nothing crazy. I think it'll flow a little better too especially in addition to having the cat removed. Haven't noticed any loss of back pressure either sooooo 🤷‍♂️

Reactions: mlynch001
mlynch001

mlynch001

Oct 7, 2020
Dardanelle, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
There's nothing at the other end. And believe it or not I didn't think to take any pics of when I actually opened both ends. I actually ended up swapping the ends on the muffler........ exhaust tip is on the driver side now......🤷‍♂️ I was bored 😂.

Here's a crude sketch of what I noticed inside.
View attachment 403548
By moving the tip over to the opposite side it does sound just a bit 🤏 louder but nothing crazy. I think it'll flow a little better too especially in addition to having the cat removed. Haven't noticed any loss of back pressure either sooooo 🤷‍♂️
Perfect, Thank You!