P500 P5 in the F250 short bed

JWard03

JWard03

May 20, 2019
North Carolina
Ownership

1. 500
Hi all. I saw a few posts about securing the machines while under way. I have an F250 short bed and got some 10k straps and D Rings with soft secure straps from Harbor Freight. I left the machine in first gear and 4WD with the E-brake on about 3 inches back from the front of the bed. I tightened the front straps to the rear tie-down first then finished with the back straps to the front tie downs. It held strong for about 700 miles over the weekend. Most of the time I'll use my trailer, but we went to a place with not much storage on Beech Mountain.

IMG 2101 IMG 2102 IMG 2105 IMG 2106 IMG 2107 IMG 2108

nctrailboss

nctrailboss

Supporting Member
Jun 30, 2018
north carolina
Ownership

1. 500
Hi all. I saw a few posts about securing the machines while under way. I have an F250 short bed and got some 10k straps and D Rings with soft secure straps from Harbor Freight. I left the machine in first gear and 4WD with the E-brake on about 3 inches back from the front of the bed. I tightened the front straps to the rear tie-down first then finished with the back straps to the front tie downs. It held strong for about 700 miles over the weekend. Most of the time I'll use my trailer, but we went to a place with not much storage on Beech Mountain.

View attachment 163440 View attachment 163441 View attachment 163442 View attachment 163443 View attachment 163444 View attachment 163445
How did it do for you??

L2R

L2R

Understanding women Vol. 1
Lifetime Member
Feb 16, 2019
East of the Appalachians
Ownership

1. 700-4
Greetings from Rockingham county.

I like what you have and think it is a great idea by keeping things simple.
Looks like a great set up for when you want to just take off without a lot of hassle getting loaded.

Just in case you have not considered it, there is some information that would suggest putting that much weight on the tailgate
cables isn't a good idea. aka, the weight is multiplied when moving vs. static weight sitting in the driveway.

Tailgate Cable Capacity & Tension - Loading Vehicles & Equipment

(emphasis on the last couple of paragraphs)

You know your equipment much better than I do and it only matter is you are good with it.

At any rate, the p5 and p7s are a small group and we look out for each other. Best of luck.

JWard03

JWard03

May 20, 2019
North Carolina
Ownership

1. 500
Greetings from Rockingham county.

I like what you have and think it is a great idea by keeping things simple.
Looks like a great set up for when you want to just take off without a lot of hassle getting loaded.

Just in case you have not considered it, there is some information that would suggest putting that much weight on the tailgate
cables isn't a good idea. aka, the weight is multiplied when moving vs. static weight sitting in the driveway.

Tailgate Cable Capacity & Tension - Loading Vehicles & Equipment

(emphasis on the last couple of paragraphs)

You know your equipment much better than I do and it only matter is you are good with it.

At any rate, the p5 and p7s are a small group and we look out for each other. Best of luck.

No worries and I appreciate the input. The wheels were closer to the hinge point so the weight was not all on the cables. I'm planning to get some tailgate supports for future runs. Some 2x6s would probably help too. There's a camper in our future too and I don't want a toy hauler so it was really a test run of what is to come. The Diamondback bed cover looks intriguing too.

JCart

JCart

Lifetime Member
Jul 14, 2014
Kamloops, BC Canada.
Ownership

1. 500
Looking good JWard03,
What I did with mine is drop an 8’ sheet of 3/4” pressure treated plywood (covers tailgate too) with a 4x4 post attached across the front. Then I bolted some angle iron on the sides to reduce/spread weight off the tailgate and made some tailgate straps with 2” flat bar. Also cut some strips of plywood and attached (to bed plywood) at each end of my ramps, so they just slide in and plywood chalks hold them secure. Depending on how rough the roads you travel on, the 4x4 post on the front stops the wheels from mashing into the box and/or bumper from thrashing out rear window. Due to rough roads I’m on I ratchet strap my rear (each) wheel down and the front gets a ratchet from low in the box up over wheels across P5 bumper. Also load mine in backwards, then I don’t need to worry about the bumper mashing my drybox/fuel cell. Mines an 8’ box, front 2’ are a custom combo aluminum dry box fuel cell.
cheers,
j

Last edited:
Reactions: Montecresto
JWard03

JWard03

May 20, 2019
North Carolina
Ownership

1. 500
Looking good JWard03,
What I did with mine is drop an 8’ sheet of 3/4” pressure treated plywood (covers tailgate too) with a 4x4 post attached across the front. Then I bolted some angle iron on the sides to reduce/spread weight off the tailgate and made some tailgate straps with 2” flat bar. Also cut some strips of plywood and attached (to bed plywood) at each end of my ramps, so they just slide in and plywood chalks hold them secure. Depending on how rough the roads you travel on, the 4x4 post on the front stops the wheels from mashing into the box and/or bumper from thrashing out rear window. Due to rough roads I’m on I ratchet strap my rear (each) wheel down and the front gets a ratchet from low in the box up over wheels across P5 bumper. Also load mine in backwards, then I don’t need to worry about the bumper mashing my drybox/fuel cell. Mines an 8’ box, front 2’ are a custom combo aluminum dry box fuel cell.
cheers,
j

Nice. My rear end is too wide (57 inches) to put in backwards. The front barely squeezes through the wheel wells. The dealer put some ridiculously backspaced wheels on there, but it is VERY stable so I'll keep them for a while.

Reactions: JCart
JCart

JCart

Lifetime Member
Jul 14, 2014
Kamloops, BC Canada.
Ownership

1. 500
Nice. My rear end is too wide (57 inches) to put in backwards. The front barely squeezes through the wheel wells. The dealer put some ridiculously backspaced wheels on there, but it is VERY stable so I'll keep them for a while.

Oh gotcha, mine is 56” wide, with 5-2 off set rims in 12” dia rims so there is some bulge in sidewalls. In addition the inner fender spacing (front to back) works perfect for mine, tires just squeeze by inner fender.

My plan is to weld 2 x 2” receiver tubes on my Class 5 trailer hitch and build a slide in tailgate that attaches via the receivers. This platform will replace the stock tailgate, will leave center receiver for towing too. Also have a 15,000 lbs Ramsey winch I want to mount on a plate that slides into these receivers.
Cheers,
j

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!