P500 P500 or RZR570

D

dirtbag

Aug 6, 2015
I like the P500 and the reviews on here make it sound like a good machine. I've had some folks telling me to go with the Polaris if I want a good riding machine and something that won't break down. They claim the Honda isn't known for being reliable. Also, the auto belt drive gets power to the wheels faster than shifting. Seems like conflicting info out there. Any insight is appreciated before I make a purchase

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
I like the P500 and the reviews on here make it sound like a good machine. I've had some folks telling me to go with the Polaris if I want a good riding machine and something that won't break down. They claim the Honda isn't known for being reliable. Also, the auto belt drive gets power to the wheels faster than shifting. Seems like conflicting info out there. Any insight is appreciated before I make a purchase

If its any consolation I just sold my 2012 Polaris RZR 800 50" essentially the same as a RZR 570 dimension wise, and am picking up a 2015 Pioneer 500 tomorrow. I had no problems with the RZR after 1700 miles of use however I did not mistreat it in any way and maintenance was time consuming. If you do not grease it every ride the bushings and bearings will go out of them quickly. The RZR squeaks, rattles, has notable engine noise due to the required RPM to keep things rolling. The air filters on the RZR will let dirt past unless everything is just so so I spent $300 on an aftermarket Donaldson air filter system before I ever rode it the reputation was so bad in 2011 / 2012.

I spent only 20 minutes on the trails with a P500 and that was enough to sell me but I am a life long Honda fan rode 2 /3 /4 wheels variants (See my Sig below) from the age of 6 to now, over 40 years of Hondas have served me and not once have I ever had to walk home.

On the Pioneer 500 you choose the gear and can easily talk with another person and trail speeds 10-20 mph. The Pioneer 500 will only run about 40 MPH where the RZR will hit 57 or so. If top speed is a big deal to you. I can tell you after 180 hours on the RZR on the trails I averaged just under 10 MPH rarely running over 40 even in the RZR because at 50" wide sitting in it you really feel your speed and at 55 mph loaded up for mountain riding like Paiute Trails in Utah it seems a little dicey not unsafe just uneasy to me (my opinion).

If you want a SxS that you put gas in it, change the oil every 100 or so hour and ride until the tires are bald get the Pioneer 500. If you want a 500 class SxS to drag race on you tube and burn up back roads over 50 MPH get the RZR. I don't mind performing routine maintenance, I did mind having to tend to the RZR every time I wanted to ride so the basic stuff didn't wear out in the first 1000 miles. I personally do not like the principle design of the CVT and I had bad no engine braking situations and experiences, you can learn to adapt feathering the throttle to keep the CVT engaged but on the Honda just select the appropriate gear and done.

Hope this helps, would I buy another RZR? The answer is yes if Honda quit making SxS altogether.

H

hondabob

Lifetime Member
May 14, 2013
Prescott Valley, AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
I sold my 2012 RZR 570. Yes it got towed in 3 times in a bit over 6,000 miles. I fixed the air intake, shock springs, low end battery failed, replaced fuel injector, all new belt drive system, plus lots of other improvements. My buddy has had no problems in 2 years now. Check out the RZR 570 forums. Lots of problems. It will run 58 mph and is a sport model. My Pioneer 500 got the air intake improvement and no problems in over 3,000 miles. Tops out at about 40 mph.

bobbyhill

bobbyhill

Pay to Play and I'm broke all around!
Junior Moderator
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Apr 8, 2015
Smithfield, VA
Ownership

1. 700-4
Welcome to the Club @dirtbag !!

Reactions: p500fan
bobbyhill

bobbyhill

Pay to Play and I'm broke all around!
Junior Moderator
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Apr 8, 2015
Smithfield, VA
Ownership

1. 700-4
I know it!! I was thinking the same thing as I typed it, but I thought it would be just as rude to not call him by name. I can't win!!

advertisement
C

classichonda

Jul 12, 2015
Wow, looks like i opened a can of worms. Thanks for the welcome everyone. Mostly going to be doing trail riding in 50" trails. Use to ride single track dirt bike so i like tight technical trails. Bikes are gone, can't afford to get hurt...

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Wow, looks like i opened a can of worms. Thanks for the welcome everyone. Mostly going to be doing trail riding in 50" trails. Use to ride single track dirt bike so i like tight technical trails. Bikes are gone, can't afford to get hurt...

Did you change your name? This is your first post in this thread, I don't think you opened up anything unless you posted in the wrong thread LMAO :D

D

dirtbag

Aug 6, 2015
Someone ^^^ trying to hijac my thread lol? If guys are selling their rzrs to buy the p500 that says something. I had a honda 185s back in the day and that thing was tougher than nails. Not sure if that carries over to a p500, but...

ncred02

ncred02

Jul 16, 2015
Raleigh NC
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Someone ^^^ trying to hijac my thread lol? If guys are selling their rzrs to buy the p500 that says something. I had a honda 185s back in the day and that thing was tougher than nails. Not sure if that carries over to a p500, but...

Buy both!!!

The only thing I liked about the 570 was the seats. I was out a few weeks ago and a couple in a red 570 parked next to me. The husband said he looked at the P500 but went with the 570 because he could get in and out easier. He had some knee, or maybe back, issues and even modded the back of the Rzr seat with foam, I'll admit the P500 cab is tight

p500fan

p500fan

Lifetime Member
Mar 30, 2015
Sand Point, AK
Buy both!!!

The only thing I liked about the 570 was the seats. I was out a few weeks ago and a couple in a red 570 parked next to me. The husband said he looked at the P500 but went with the 570 because he could get in and out easier. He had some knee, or maybe back, issues and even modded the back of the Rzr seat with foam, I'll admit the P500 cab is tight
I also liked the seats in the RZR, but I thought it was harder to get into than the P500. I like SUV/truck seating where you "step up" into them, and sit upright to drive. It may be a psychological thing, but I can "see" better that way. The seats were very comfortable on the RZR, but I felt like I "dropped" into them, and my legs were out in front of me. It was like sitting in a car (almost like being in a recliner). I didn't even have to go through with the test drive, (although I did, Ha!), because my mind was 75% made up after the first 30 seconds. Then, I actually went through the gears on the P500. Anyone who remembers their first time doing that, knows why I put my money down! Ha!

SBuckJ

SBuckJ

Jan 21, 2015
Central PA
I am another that sold my RZR 800 for the p500 and have never looked back. Maintenance and repairs were constant though if never left me on the trail. As far as the seats, I like the comfort of the RZR seats...but then again I haven't gotten my butt wet riding across a stream in the P5!!

D

dirtbag

Aug 6, 2015
I am another that sold my RZR 800 for the p500 and have never looked back. Maintenance and repairs were constant though if never left me on the trail. As far as the seats, I like the comfort of the RZR seats...but then again I haven't gotten my butt wet riding across a stream in the P5!!
What are your thoughts on ride quality between the two machines, as well as power difference when trail riding, especially on steeper climbs?

M

Moose308

Jun 16, 2015
What are your thoughts on ride quality between the two machines, as well as power difference when trail riding, especially on steeper climbs?
P500 has lower gears and all kinds of torque. I looked a lot at both .Bought the honda and am overly impressed. Course we have honda foreman recon accord and two of the generators.All super reliable.

Reactions: SBuckJ
p500fan

p500fan

Lifetime Member
Mar 30, 2015
Sand Point, AK
I will say this, I have ridden a few miles in a RZR, and they do have a very forgiving ride. Their shocks soak up small bumps, and there is a better "feel" at high speeds. However, at lower speeds, I could not see as much difference. The RZR is a sport machine. I expect it to have better high speed handling. If that is what you want, by all means, go with the RZR. I was looking at a hunting/general riding rig to run mountain trails @ <20mph. I wanted groundspeed control and engine braking, and I was limited to a narrow (ATV-sized) machine. The P500 met all these requirements, and then some.

Reactions: SBuckJ
M

Moose308

Jun 16, 2015
I will say this, I have ridden a few miles in a RZR, and they do have a very forgiving ride. Their shocks soak up small bumps, and there is a better "feel" at high speeds. However, at lower speeds, I could not see as much difference. The RZR is a sport machine. I expect it to have better high speed handling. If that is what you want, by all means, go with the RZR. I was looking at a hunting/general riding rig to run mountain trails @ <20mph. I wanted groundspeed control and engine braking, and I was limited to a narrow (ATV-sized) machine. The P500 met all these requirements, and then some.
There it is.

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!