WagginTail

WagginTail

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Oct 13, 2020
SC
Ownership

1. 1000-5
So I had a 2014 700-4 for 5 years. Just sold it and got a 2018 1000-5 about 10 days ago. I think the paddle shifters would be nice to have on the 700. It would be nice to keep the rpms low sometimes as others have said. I definitely like the power steering and would not go without it. I have no experience plowing snow but the 700 always surprised me at what it would do and go through. I would pull a 6' x 8' trailer with firewood no problem.

My 700 was a great machine and is very capable and reliable. The 1000 has more bells and whistles along with better ride. We wanted something that would do better riding trails which is why we got the 1000. And the turf mode is a lot better doing yard work and doesn't tear up the grass.

Gorms

Gorms

Mar 23, 2019
Mass
Ownership

1. 700-4
I haven't tried a machine with power steering yet, so maybe I just don't know what I'm missing but I have never been tired from steering or had a hard time without it. 50/50 mix of working our property for firewood/chores and fun riding with wife and kids, all types of terrain.

Occasionally the 700 holds on to a gear longer than it needs to and makes some noise, but it does operate perfectly otherwise I think, without paddle shifters.

Overall I'm happy I stuck with the base model, left some money in the budget for things like a winch, roof and tires.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
OK, another vote for noise...any other reason you'd note?
Other than the very rare time it seems to lug too low and I have to downshift, no. But I'm a motorhead and the more control I have, the better. Even when I'm in Ricky Racer mode, I'm paddlin' up to keep the motor in the meat of the torque curve, not bouncing off the rev limiter. Note that I'm speaking from a Talon viewpoint, so there's that.

Overall I'm happy I stuck with the base model, left some money in the budget for things like a winch, roof and tires.
Yer doin' it wrong. :p

• Haha
Reactions: Gorms and Mudwing
Glock21user

Glock21user

" Nothing succeeds like excess "
Lifetime Member
Dec 16, 2018
Livingston county, Mi.
Ownership

1. 700-4
Thanks, appreciate it - the form factor is definitely a plus. How big of a trailer do you tow? I have a heavy duty farm trailer that is 5x7 and I load up pretty good with wood. Think it'd have any issue with that?
We tow a small 4x6 trailer we made out of 1.5x1.5 thin wall with a jet ski axle to haul what ever will fit in or on.
I have pull started a very cranky Farmall H a few times, they weigh approximately 3900 lbs with no issues.

Reactions: Farmer
Mudwing

Mudwing

Lifetime Member
Jul 9, 2017
The Mud holes
Ownership

1. 700-4
Looks like you're one of the only votes for no PS - I had read this elsewhere, too. The only thing is that I will be turning pretty slow much of the time, getting back into the deep woods to retrieve downed trees and such. I'll keep thinking about it.
Go for the deluxe. I’m not against it. The Honda power steering is probably one of the smoothest. I choose the base for cost reasons but not once do I ragurt it. Part of me likes to think the base is more reliable with less to break. Example: replacing the power steering motor. 😎

Reactions: WagginTail
livefromthetree

livefromthetree

It was a damn good ride. Seriously good.
Supporting Member
Jun 4, 2020
Mount Vernon Indiana
Ownership

1. 700-2
Thanks, is it just the noise that you like the paddle shifters for? That's not much of a concern for me in my use case but maybe you find it has better performance, too?

Noise for sure. Once the machine changes from 1st to 2nd it is a smoother, quieter ride at steady speeds same with 2nd to 3rd. Again I just found out after a year and half of ownership that I could upshift while in auto mode. Since that day I have upshifted using the right paddle on nearly ever ride since. I only use it when I know I am not going to be pushing the pedal but rather just cruising.

Thorney

Thorney

Mar 21, 2021
Minnesota / Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 700-4
So it all boils down to the age old dilemma of costs vs. benefits, right? I think almost everyone agrees that the P1K5 is a better machine than the 700-4. All the things that have been stated in the posts above support this. For me personally, I found the 700-4 (deluxe) to be the best value for my use. The extra $5-6 grand just wasn't worth it. I can afford the P1K5, but I watch my money carefully. That makes me feel better than bells and whistles.

A

ADK_XJ

Aug 30, 2021
Saratoga Springs, NY
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
So it all boils down to the age old dilemma of costs vs. benefits, right? I think almost everyone agrees that the P1K5 is a better machine than the 700-4. All the things that have been stated in the posts above support this. For me personally, I found the 700-4 (deluxe) to be the best value for my use. The extra $5-6 grand just wasn't worth it. I can afford the P1K5, but I watch my money carefully. That makes me feel better than bells and whistles.
Thanks for this - I share your perspective on things and really pride myself on finding the best ratio of cost:value in a product. It helps that I enjoy the research process and don't mind walking away from something if I don't think it's right or more than I actually want to spend.

The simple fact is that I will not often or anytime soon - or possibly even ever - be ripping down trails at high-speed with 5 adults. My needs are pretty much exclusive to our property (30 acres) and then the 70-80 acres of additional woodland behind us that we have access to. I may occasionally take the kids along for a ride but, other than that, it will just be me collecting firewood, plowing the driveway, checking maple buckets and hauling sap. It does seem like the 700-4 will do everything I ask of it.

Whoever made the point earlier about waiting for the factories to return to something resembling normal due to Quality Control is a very good point indeed. I experienced this first hand in purchasing a commercial grade Husqavarna Zero Turn mower to handle our front fields (5 acres) - someone forgot to bolt or incorrectly bolted one of the three cast iron spindles, so that when I dinged a low-lying stump it caused the spindle to pull away from the deck instead of breaking the spindle itself as it should have.

Once I was able to show the dealer the oxidation on the spot where the bolt should have been, they agreed to replace the entire deck on warranty. Anyway, this was a very clear issue of poor quality control on a piece of USA-made equipment that should have otherwise been practically bullet proof.

It is hard to keep waiting given all the chores and little jobs I need done around here but it is probably best for me to hang in there...not to mention, nobody has any inventory anyway so it's a moot point.

Thorney

Thorney

Mar 21, 2021
Minnesota / Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 700-4
It sounds like we have a lot in common. I use mine for hunting on an 80 acre parcel and maintain stands on a 250 acre hunting lease for eight guys. I think we have a total of about fifteen stands now, plus ground blinds to set up and take down. I won't plow with my 700-4D, but I will go ice fishing every weekend. When winter rolls around I will post some pics of the machine set up for ice fishing (auger racks, rod holders, etc.)

As far as quality control goes, I don't think there is anything worth waiting for. I believe the quality "is what it is" anymore. Just pay attention to your machine and read this forum to know what to look out for. The sooner you get money down on one, the sooner you get to enjoy it. And it sounds like you can really use a SxS. Good luck!

Farmer

Farmer

🚜🔨🚛🔧
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 22, 2014
Southern MO
Ownership

1. 700-2
Welcome to the club!!!

Paddle shifters......Mine is pre paddle shifters but I never got the big deal. How the heck are you supposed to steer and shift at the same time? It's not like you'll be racing the thing though. The paddles will however help you stay in 1st gear but it won't help the lack of a lower gear this machine has. That being said the 700 bogs right through almost everything people throw at it. The trans is bullet proof.

Power Steering...... It's a must. If you buy a machine without it you'll be adding the aftermarket PSing sooner than later.

Snow Plowing. No experience there but many many here have plows and do just fine with them.

Honestly though...... Quality control during covid is terrible for everything right now. Even the mighty Honda brand is taking it's lumps. If I were you..... I'd wait until the factories are back up and running like the well oiled machines they used to be. Plus, that would let you save your pennies for the 1000.

Interesting...so, could you elaborate on why you would save up for the 1000?

I was looking closer at it and I guess it's not THAT much bigger but the base model comes with EPS and did I also read it has both a front and rear diff lock?? That's kind of unusual but, I used to offroad Jeeps, and a having the ability to lock and unlock both differentials is basically like being super man on the trails...it does have me thinking.

More power
Turf Mode
A teeny bit more comfortable over the 700
Better top speeds for road travel

I just wish the 1000 had the same trans design with lower gear as the 700

Dupoky

Dupoky

Jan 19, 2021
Idaho
Ownership

1. 700-4
In Idaho we are fairly hilly> That being said I love the paddle shifters to be able to control the RPM on both ascent and descent. I use them everyday.
Will never buy a machine that does not have power steering only way to go.

A

ADK_XJ

Aug 30, 2021
Saratoga Springs, NY
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I just got back from putting a deposit on a 2021 700-4!!! I finally found a dealer within 50 miles who has a unit coming in this November and ran out there to make it official this afternoon.

Big thanks to everyone on the thread / forum here for all the input, I'll post pictures and my feedback once I take receipt of the vehicle...in about 8 weeks 🥲

Thorney

Thorney

Mar 21, 2021
Minnesota / Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 700-4
Congrats on the new machine!! Did you end up getting a Deluxe (power steering/paddle shifters)? What color?

Reactions: Mudwing
A

ADK_XJ

Aug 30, 2021
Saratoga Springs, NY
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Congrats on the new machine!! Did you end up getting a Deluxe (power steering/paddle shifters)? What color?
Nope - my decision was real easy, they only had a single unit on order for this year and it was a 700-4 (base) in green.

I can see why EPS would be nice and the paddle shifters might be fun but, for my purposes, I felt confident in this model and I actually prefer steel wheels based off a past life when I used to "wheel" Jeeps. Much, much stronger.

I put the savings into a winch, plow package, a roof and the 5 year extended warranty.

Mudwing

Mudwing

Lifetime Member
Jul 9, 2017
The Mud holes
Ownership

1. 700-4
Nope - my decision was real easy, they only had a single unit on order for this year and it was a 700-4 (base) in green.

I can see why EPS would be nice and the paddle shifters might be fun but, for my purposes, I felt confident in this model and I actually prefer steel wheels based off a past life when I used to "wheel" Jeeps. Much, much stronger.

I put the savings into a winch, plow package, a roof and the 5 year extended warranty.
Congrats. You’ll enjoy it. I like the steelies too. Put some miles on and enjoy. The 7hundo is a solid machine. 😎🤘🏾🤣

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!