P700 Paddle shifters, EPS and other questions on 700-4

Mudwing

Mudwing

Lifetime Member
Jul 9, 2017
The Mud holes
Ownership

1. 700-4
Go Bills...well, I practically couldn't live any further from you and be in the same state. We're way over in Saratoga County by the Hudson.
All good. Get some pics posted of your new ride. 😎🤘🏾

livefromthetree

livefromthetree

It was a damn good ride. Seriously good.
Supporting Member
Jun 4, 2020
Mount Vernon Indiana
Ownership

1. 700-2
Nope - my decision was real easy, they only had a single unit on order for this year and it was a 700-4 (base) in green.

I can see why EPS would be nice and the paddle shifters might be fun but, for my purposes, I felt confident in this model and I actually prefer steel wheels based off a past life when I used to "wheel" Jeeps. Much, much stronger.

I put the savings into a winch, plow package, a roof and the 5 year extended warranty.

EPS is easy to add should you decide to. Course if you havent had it before you wont miss it. Same with teh paddles.

Enjoy that sweet new ride!

W

Walterr

May 26, 2021
Orem, UT
Ownership

1. 700-4
I have been very impressed with the 700-4 transmission shifting. I have intentionally started up a rocky hill in 2nd gear and slowed down in the middle to see how it would handle downshifting to first. Even with a full load the downshift was so smooth I might have missed it if I wasn't paying strict attention.

I got my 700-4 used BECAUSE it doesn't have power steering! Ha ha. The previous owner had shoulder surgery and it was causing him some pain. So it came to me. Power steering would be nice, but I also enjoy being directly connected to the wheels with manual steering. I can feel the rocks I'm hitting, etc.

livefromthetree

livefromthetree

It was a damn good ride. Seriously good.
Supporting Member
Jun 4, 2020
Mount Vernon Indiana
Ownership

1. 700-2
I have been very impressed with the 700-4 transmission shifting. I have intentionally started up a rocky hill in 2nd gear and slowed down in the middle to see how it would handle downshifting to first. Even with a full load the downshift was so smooth I might have missed it if I wasn't paying strict attention.

I got my 700-4 used BECAUSE it doesn't have power steering! Ha ha. The previous owner had shoulder surgery and it was causing him some pain. So it came to me. Power steering would be nice, but I also enjoy being directly connected to the wheels with manual steering. I can feel the rocks I'm hitting, etc.

Welcome to the forums from far SW corner of Indiana.

Oh and by the way pics or it didnt happen!

Reactions: Lady01 and Mudwing
D

Dmatthews

Jun 15, 2021
Charlottetown PEI
Ownership

1. 700-2
Hi all, new to the forum and hoping to glean some information from the folks here on the Honda Pioneer 700-4...I've been researching a side-by-side for over a year since purchasing a new (larger) property here in NE New York but it is basically impossible to find any inventory anywhere.

My hope is things are going to come back around a bit after this year otherwise I will just putting a deposit in but, in the mean time, I have these questions that are somewhat subjective but certainly need to hear people's opinions:
  • Paddle shifters: are the manual shifters that come with the Deluxe beneficial for low-speed driving in any way? in other words, has anyone found that they are useful in situations like towing or hauling when you might normally use low-gear or are they really just to give that feeling of sporty control of the shifting?

• Power steering: I will mostly be doing utility work in our woods, so there is some tight cornering on trails and in-between trees but that will all be at low speed...do folks find the power steering to be a make or break option? I figured due to the smaller form factor and wheel-base that it may not be quite so essential as say with a massive crew-cab SxS like the Kawasaki Mule

• Plowing / winter driving: living in the Northeast, a good bit of my use for this thing will be plowing the gravel section of our (long) driveway and then also doing some trail driving in our woods for firewood and maple syrup in the early Spring...what have been folks experience with winter use of these vehicles? Plenty of power for plowing or maintaining traction in decent snow pack?
After researching the hell out of UTVs I've really honed in on the Pioneer 700 but want the option to load my two small kids in the back when they just want to go out for a ride. I had previously thought I wanted the Kawasaki Mule but after test driving one last fall it just felt like I was driving a boat around and our woods have nice trails but they are geared more for the size of the Pioneer. Plus the break-over angle of the Mule just felt like it was going to be a major issue with that long wheel-base...all the power in the world can't help you when you're high centered.

I have entertained the 1000-5 but I'm both on a budget and it felt like far more machine than I would need.
I plow several driveways and love it. Had a regular atv before. Night and day. Rarely spin at all. 72” blade. Just adjust your shoes right and you will be happy. We like the paddle shifters. Use them all the time. Shift manually up as I find it likes to rev out a bit before shifting when just touring the trails when left to shift automatically. We put a glass Honda windshield in with the wiper kit. Also went with the 27” big horns as the 25” stock tires are just fair. IMHO. Also the power steering is great. Effortless. Our only negative is the rear diff. It is full posi all the time. So it can tear up the yard when turning. I believe the 1000 has and open diff with a locker.

onecreeper

onecreeper

May 21, 2021
Kansas City, MO
Ownership

1. 700-4
You are talking about $1400 difference between the powersteering and the paddles. Powersteering is $800 if you self install and more if you have dealer do it. Make it a REQUIREMENT. Paddles are nice for the noise but I also short shift just to be easier on the RPMs....thinking long term. I think they help also descending. Spend the money. Get what you want and someone else made the point...at some point the wife/kids will drive....PS will make your life easier.

A

ADK_XJ

Aug 30, 2021
Saratoga Springs, NY
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
You are talking about $1400 difference between the powersteering and the paddles. Powersteering is $800 if you self install and more if you have dealer do it. Make it a REQUIREMENT. Paddles are nice for the noise but I also short shift just to be easier on the RPMs....thinking long term. I think they help also descending. Spend the money. Get what you want and someone else made the point...at some point the wife/kids will drive....PS will make your life easier.
Those seem like well thought out points - we'll find out if I live to regret not getting power steering but I need the vehicle and the only one available within 100 miles this year (hopefully) was a base model.

Reactions: Lady01
A

ADK_XJ

Aug 30, 2021
Saratoga Springs, NY
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I plow several driveways and love it. Had a regular atv before. Night and day. Rarely spin at all. 72” blade. Just adjust your shoes right and you will be happy. We like the paddle shifters. Use them all the time. Shift manually up as I find it likes to rev out a bit before shifting when just touring the trails when left to shift automatically. We put a glass Honda windshield in with the wiper kit. Also went with the 27” big horns as the 25” stock tires are just fair. IMHO. Also the power steering is great. Effortless. Our only negative is the rear diff. It is full posi all the time. So it can tear up the yard when turning. I believe the 1000 has and open diff with a locker.
Cool, I'm excited about that aspect - I've been plowing for 6 years with an ATV and a short blade, it's just become unmanageable now that we have a (much) longer driveway. It cannot push the snow we get up here in the northeast.

27" Bighorns seems to be what I see a lot of people running on these, I will definitely check that out. Is there any lift or any other adjustment needed to run the taller treads?

A

ADK_XJ

Aug 30, 2021
Saratoga Springs, NY
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Picked it up today...headed out into our woods this weekend for some serious firewood collection:

PXL 20211117 192323385MP

M

mpilihp

Aug 13, 2021
Maine
Ownership

1. 700-4
Those seem like well thought out points - we'll find out if I live to regret not getting power steering but I need the vehicle and the only one available within 100 miles this year (hopefully) was a base model.
Hi congrats on your new 700-4, we also just got our base model and love it. We waited 3 months for it, and am with you on the power steering. I upgraded from a 2004 Rhino and the 700-4 without power steering, is WAY easier to steer than the Rhino, my wife even asked me if it had power steering. I agree I think Id like the paddles but seams to work fine without them.

Phil

FeelinRecless

FeelinRecless

Lifetime Member
Jun 7, 2020
Idaho
Ownership

1. 700-4
I like the paddle shifters. I mostly use them to keep the rpm’s down for noise, so I could live without them and be fine.
IMO, power steering is a must, especially if you are doing any tight, technical trail rides. This is the main reason I stepped up to the deluxe.

A

ADK_XJ

Aug 30, 2021
Saratoga Springs, NY
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Had the Pioneer for a week now and loving it. The convertible seat design in the bed is just ingenious and I've had both kids in back, my wife and the neighbor's son up front...felt totally comfortable and plenty of power for our hilly woods.

Will definitely be adding a front windshield, that was an oversight but easily addressed before plowing time. I'll also likely add the plug and play LED options from the store here (may do the whole set from front to back and with work light). I passed on the factory Honda cargo mat and instead cut up an extra 1/2" thick horse stall roll to fit the dump bed when using it as such; Worked great.

The thing that has probably (pleasantly) surprised me most is the suspension - it is unbelievably smooth. We have a pretty rutted out, washboard dirt road that runs along one side of our property - both my FIL and I were shocked at how it just soaked up the bumps.

My only complaint so far is the consistent and loud rattle of the doors, especially at idle. I am going to try to play with the rubber stoppers to get them right. It's mostly the front doors that are out or whack, the rear ones don't make anywhere near as much noise.

Very happy with my purchase and looking forward to putting it through it's paces this winter, which is my main time of work out in the woods between firewood, maple syrup and trail building.

Reactions: livefromthetree
Buckshot07

Buckshot07

Dec 31, 2020
PA
Ownership

1. 700-4
Had the Pioneer for a week now and loving it. The convertible seat design in the bed is just ingenious and I've had both kids in back, my wife and the neighbor's son up front...felt totally comfortable and plenty of power for our hilly woods.

Will definitely be adding a front windshield, that was an oversight but easily addressed before plowing time. I'll also likely add the plug and play LED options from the store here (may do the whole set from front to back and with work light). I passed on the factory Honda cargo mat and instead cut up an extra 1/2" thick horse stall roll to fit the dump bed when using it as such; Worked great.

The thing that has probably (pleasantly) surprised me most is the suspension - it is unbelievably smooth. We have a pretty rutted out, washboard dirt road that runs along one side of our property - both my FIL and I were shocked at how it just soaked up the bumps.

My only complaint so far is the consistent and loud rattle of the doors, especially at idle. I am going to try to play with the rubber stoppers to get them right. It's mostly the front doors that are out or whack, the rear ones don't make anywhere near as much noise.

Very happy with my purchase and looking forward to putting it through it's paces this winter, which is my main time of work out in the woods between firewood, maple syrup and trail building.
Get yourself some door hinge bushings from RB3.
Well worth the money.
Honda should have done something like that from the factory

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!