Passing on cliff edge

M

Micaj

Nov 1, 2020
Ohio
Ownership

1. Talon X
I recently took a trip out to west virginia and was on some particularly tight trails and I just wonder how someone would pass another on them. Backing up doesn't seem realist in alot of situations, I also thought maybe hook your winch up to a tree and pull your machine up the mountain a bit, let the others pass and then bring it down but then how do you straighten out your machine back on the trail

T

Tommyp

Dec 2, 2017
Covington La
Ownership

1. 1000-5
We just got back a week ago. If you met someone with a 74 inch wide machine In some places I think it would be impossible. Should be 1 way trails.

R

rickoshea

I recently took a trip out to west virginia and was on some particularly tight trails and I just wonder how someone would pass another on them. Backing up doesn't seem realist in alot of situations, I also thought maybe hook your winch up to a tree and pull your machine up the mountain a bit, let the others pass and then bring it down but then how do you straighten out your machine back on the trail
down hill has the right of way around here.it is a courtesy thing,not written in stone but generally followed.it stems from running logging/fire roads which are always downhill ROW,and we have alot of mountains.if it's flat ground??

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
down hill has the right of way around here.it is a courtesy thing,not written in stone but generally followed.it stems from running logging/fire roads which are always downhill ROW,and we have alot of mountains.if it's flat ground??
That's weird. Due to braking bias, when backing down a steep hill the front wheels will lock up when braking, causing loss of steering. I've experienced this in my 4WD Ford Ranger. For that reason, the vehicle headed downhill is required to back up.

TripleB

TripleB

Lifetime Member
Aug 13, 2018
Caryville, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
When i looked up trail etiquette, It said the person coming up hill has the right of way. I can see that. But there is 1 trail at royal blue thats impossible for the person coming down hill to back up. Its single track with deep ruts and most of the time a muddy mess. There is nowhere to pass so the guy coming up has to back down. Probably only a few 100 yards like that but I hate that trail.

R

rickoshea

That's weird. Due to braking bias, when backing down a steep hill the front wheels will lock up when braking, causing loss of steering. I've experienced this in my 4WD Ford Ranger. For that reason, the vehicle headed downhill is required to back up.
so,if you're headed down hill with a heavy load,you're expected to reverse up hill? not happening.at least not around here.common sense dictates uphill yields.it works for us so that's what we do.any active logging road has a call frequency and it's always down has ROW for a reason.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
A human's ability to adapt to changing situations is what makes us so successful. We're talking about SxSs (any off road vehicle) meeting on a narrow trail, very few of them will be hauling a heavy load. Here, the law is - 'the uphill vehicle has the right of way' - for the reason I mentioned.

R

rickoshea

so,a
A human's ability to adapt to changing situations is what makes us so successful. We're talking about SxSs (any off road vehicle) meeting on a narrow trail, very few of them will be hauling a heavy load. Here, the law is - 'the uphill vehicle has the right of way' - for the reason I mentioned.
4 seat rzr schoolbus heading down is supposed to give way to a single guy on an atv? sure.your law is flawed.but hey,it's your law so ...

Ohio4x4

Ohio4x4

I brought the dishwasher
Lifetime Member
Aug 23, 2018
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I too was taught somewhere in life that the downhill traffic gets the row. There are always those situations where it doesn't fit but so far that's what I've passed down to any new riders in our group. It goes along with keeping track of the rider behind you. Common sense goes a long ways.

Reactions: TripleB
CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
so,a

4 seat rzr schoolbus heading down is supposed to give way to a single guy on an atv? sure.your law is flawed.but hey,it's your law so ...
The law is written assuming similar vehicles.

advertisement
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
We thankfully don’t run into traffic often out here but IMO trail etiquette is giving the right of way to the largest group or whoever has the easiest time getting out of the way. Usually turning into the tress suffices. For us on hill climbs usually it’s dirt bikes, they can easily find room. We haven’t encountered issues meeting Sxs’s on narrow hill climbs yet. Elsewhere usually it’s obvious who needs to move.
Usually people are respectful and do what needs done. There are a couple spots I hope to never have traffic otherwise someone may need air support lol.

Last edited:
Randy6911

Randy6911

Oct 20, 2019
Texas
Ownership

1. Talon X
Just got back from Virginia. No way around it, You or them just have to find a wide enough spot to pull off or over to pass Give and take a little or you might be sleeping on the trail if nobody gives. Our group usually gives right of way to downhill traffic. Most times someone will make the first courteous move and you both continue your happy ride.

F

fsk1290

Oct 30, 2020
Grant, FL
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Whoever has the bigger toy gets the right of way. It makes more sense that way.

Reactions: CID
bigshoe

bigshoe

Aug 17, 2020
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Whomever has the smallest group always yields. I'm not moving just because someone is land yachting in there 4 seater monstrosity of a sxs.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!