Perfect fit Aluminum locking toolbox

toy-hauler

toy-hauler

Mar 31, 2021
Southwest Iowa
Ownership

1. Talon X
I liked the idea of the Tractor supply toolbox, but I felt I wanted a locking metal toolbox. After searching, I found that Hornet Outdoors, made the perfect size (for me anyhow) aluminum box. The model number is R-3031-B, with dimensions of, Length 31" Width 14" Height 13.5". It mounted so simple, using 4 corner brackets, and some bolts. I like the way it worked out, because the D rings are not used to fasten the box, so you can still use it for strapping down items.

I might suggest adding a thin pad or weather stripping under the box to give it a rattle free fit. I don't think my install will rattle, but having a little something under it won't hurt.

What I used on the project:
Hornet Outdoors toolbox - Amazon link
4 - 2" x 5/8" corner brackets
4 - 6mm x 25mm bolts
4 - 1/4" x 1" bolts with nylon lock nuts
half dozen or so 1/4" washers for spacing

1. On the front tie down "D" rings, remove it and reverse the ring to the outside. Cut the first corner bracket to fit down in the "seat" of the D ring bracket. It will fit down into the seat using the hole in the corner bracket. I rounded out the bracket hole to 9/64. It gave me a little "wiggle room". Use the 6mm bolt to hold the bracket loosely in place.

2. For the rear brackets, remove the allen head bolt. Use the outside hole (drill out to 9/64") on the corner bracket. Use a couple 1/4" washers under the bracket to fill the indent in the floor. Use a 6mm bolt to loosely secure the corner bracket.

3. Tape the side of the toolbox to allow for marking. Set the box into the box to look at the fit. The top of each of the brackets need to be bent in about 1/4". Remove the box and adjust the brackets.

4. Fit the box with enough room in the front of the box to allow room to get the air cleaner lid, to be removed and put back in, for adding oil. I had a measurement at the back corners of the box of 3 3/4", and I should have allowed another 1/4 to 1/2". It's a little snug in the front to get the cleaner cover back on. Note: you will have to remove the toolbox to remove the air cleaner.

5. Once you are comfortable with the fit, mark each of the brackets. There is not much room, so a small felt tip pen will be the best. Remove the box and drill the holes in the box.

6. Tighten the bolts on the brackets to the floor, put the box back in and fasten the box using the 1/4" bolts and lock nuts.

Pics below follow the install steps.

All I have left is adding some weather strip to the lid.

1 Bracket 1 Front bracket 2 rear bracket 3 bend of bracket 3 Front bracket 4 Back corner dimension 5 Drill holes 6 Fasten with bolts 7 Box installed   1 7 Box installed   2

Last edited:
Lil_Steve

Lil_Steve

May 22, 2019
Gilbert, AZ
Ownership

1. Talon R
Nice job! 👍 Something to keep in mind for the contents, it will get pretty warm in there since the muffler is right underneath. Depending on your climate some sort of heat barrier might not be a bad idea.

toy-hauler

toy-hauler

Mar 31, 2021
Southwest Iowa
Ownership

1. Talon X
Nice job! 👍 Something to keep in mind for the contents, it will get pretty warm in there since the muffler is right underneath. Depending on your climate some sort of heat barrier might not be a bad idea.
Thanks, I’ll have to keep an eye on that. If it does get warm, I’ll have to put some spaces under it and redo the brackets.

Reactions: Biteme
906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
Nice work, are you still able to remove the airbox cover with the box installed?

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Nice work, are you still able to remove the airbox cover with the box installed?
Good point. My TSC box is held down with 4 straps (copied TerryH's video) and I have to pull it to the rear just over an inch to get the airbox cover off and it's still a tight fit. Luckily the TSC will slide that far without loosening the straps, a good thing because they're a pain to get properly tight. Since adding the Hondabob snorkel and prefilter, the only time that cover comes off is for adding oil. For the curious, Hondabob's snorkel idea is linked in my sig.

toy-hauler

toy-hauler

Mar 31, 2021
Southwest Iowa
Ownership

1. Talon X
Good point. My TSC box is held down with 4 straps (copied TerryH's video) and I have to pull it to the rear just over an inch to get the airbox cover off and it's still a tight fit. Luckily the TSC will slide that far without loosening the straps, a good thing because they're a pain to get properly tight. Since adding the Hondabob snorkel and prefilter, the only time that cover comes off is for adding oil. For the curious, Hondabob's snorkel idea is linked in my sig.
As mentioned in Line 4, there is enough room to open it to put oil in, but I'll need to remove the tool box to get to the air cleaner. With the 4, 1/4" bolts to remove, it will make it easy to take the toolbox out in just a few minutes. I too put on a prefilter, so I shouldn't need to get to the air box too often.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
As mentioned in Line 4, there is enough room to open it to put oil in, but I'll need to remove the tool box to get to the air cleaner. With the 4, 1/4" bolts to remove, it will make it easy to take the toolbox out in just a few minutes. I too put on a prefilter, so I shouldn't need to get to the air box too often.
Oops, I missed that. If you can get the cover off to add oil, you can get the airfilter out by leaning over between the seats, BTDT but not sure it's worth the effort although I really hate unloading the toolbox and removing it. I also have a snorkel and prefilter so the airfilter is good for a looooong time. I recently checked it at ~2500 miles and it was spotless.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Yep, I have a piece of 1” high density foam board (R-7) under mine…

Reactions: Lil_Steve
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
I liked the idea of the Tractor supply toolbox, but I felt I wanted a locking metal toolbox. After searching, I found that Hornet Outdoors, made the perfect size (for me anyhow) aluminum box. The model number is R-3031-B, with dimensions of, Length 31" Width 14" Height 13.5". It mounted so simple, using 4 corner brackets, and some bolts. I like the way it worked out, because the D rings are not used to fasten the box, so you can still use it for strapping down items.

I might suggest adding a thin pad or weather stripping under the box to give it a rattle free fit. I don't think my install will rattle, but having a little something under it won't hurt.

What I used on the project:
Hornet Outdoors toolbox - Amazon link
4 - 2" x 5/8" corner brackets
4 - 6mm x 25mm bolts
4 - 1/4" x 1" bolts with nylon lock nuts
half dozen or so 1/4" washers for spacing

1. On the front tie down "D" rings, remove it and reverse the ring to the outside. Cut the first corner bracket to fit down in the "seat" of the D ring bracket. It will fit down into the seat using the hole in the corner bracket. I rounded out the bracket hole to 9/64. It gave me a little "wiggle room". Use the 6mm bolt to hold the bracket loosely in place.

2. For the rear brackets, remove the allen head bolt. Use the outside hole (drill out to 9/64") on the corner bracket. Use a couple 1/4" washers under the bracket to fill the indent in the floor. Use a 6mm bolt to loosely secure the corner bracket.

3. Tape the side of the toolbox to allow for marking. Set the box into the box to look at the fit. The top of each of the brackets need to be bent in about 1/4". Remove the box and adjust the brackets.

4. Fit the box with enough room in the front of the box to allow room to get the air cleaner lid, to be removed and put back in, for adding oil. I had a measurement at the back corners of the box of 3 3/4", and I should have allowed another 1/4 to 1/2". It's a little snug in the front to get the cleaner cover back on. Note: you will have to remove the toolbox to remove the air cleaner.

5. Once you are comfortable with the fit, mark each of the brackets. There is not much room, so a small felt tip pen will be the best. Remove the box and drill the holes in the box.

6. Tighten the bolts on the brackets to the floor, put the box back in and fasten the box using the 1/4" bolts and lock nuts.

Pics below follow the install steps.

All I have left is adding some weather strip to the lid.

View attachment 306490 View attachment 306491 View attachment 306492 View attachment 306493 View attachment 306494 View attachment 306495 View attachment 306496 View attachment 306497 View attachment 306498 View attachment 306499
Good idea and very nice work!!! 👍

Just wanted to mention that the tractor Supply box is also lockable and most of the D rings inner space is still available for other bungees or straps to secure other things on top of the box as I do all the time….

Reactions: toy-hauler
advertisement
toy-hauler

toy-hauler

Mar 31, 2021
Southwest Iowa
Ownership

1. Talon X
Good idea and very nice work!!! 👍

Just wanted to mention that the tractor Supply box is also lockable and most of the D rings inner space is still available for other bungees or straps to secure other things on top of the box as I do all the time….
Thanks.......
I wanted to be able to just lock the box, and not have to worry about a padlock. This has the lock built in with a key. I didn't have to worry about adding the cooler hooks either.

PhilCod

PhilCod

Dec 10, 2019
Indiana
Ownership

1. Talon X
Great write up and pictures. I have a similar set up but I use a 28 gallon plastic tote with latching handles. One thing I have put in the bottom of the box is a piece of thick shag carpet. I've done this for two reasons. One the heat, and two cushion for my items. Carpet is designed to be pushed down and then rebound. We had one of our rooms carpeted with the good stuff a few years ago, so I had some leftover to use. I feel it's really important to put the best carpet in there you can find. Your best option is to go to a local carpet store and see if they have chunks they are throwing away.
This is the 2nd machine I have put this kind of tote in, and 2 of my buddies have the same set up in their RZR's. I've been happy with it, but if I do it again, I think I'd go with your set up.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Great write up and pictures. I have a similar set up but I use a 28 gallon plastic tote with latching handles. One thing I have put in the bottom of the box is a piece of thick shag carpet. I've done this for two reasons. One the heat, and two cushion for my items. Carpet is designed to be pushed down and then rebound. We had one of our rooms carpeted with the good stuff a few years ago, so I had some leftover to use. I feel it's really important to put the best carpet in there you can find. Your best option is to go to a local carpet store and see if they have chunks they are throwing away.
This is the 2nd machine I have put this kind of tote in, and 2 of my buddies have the same set up in their RZR's. I've been happy with it, but if I do it again, I think I'd go with your set up.
Didn’t even know you could still get shag carpet Phil….🤔

Is it avocado green?

• Haha
Reactions: toy-hauler

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!