BOX1

P1000 pioneer 1000-5 spraying coolant and fan not working with only 10 miles

S

selfguided

Jan 29, 2016
arizona
had my new pioneer 1000-5 out on the trail putting around trying to get broke in and at 11 miles while creeping up a hill I noticed my tempeture light came on then coolant started spraying out of overflow after I let cool down for couple of hours I filled with water to get back to truck well 5 mins in to the ride I notice the temp came up so I turned it off got towed a couple of miles when I reached main road I drove it back to truck with no issues going about 25 miles per hour tempeture never came cause of the cool air cooling the engine down also my fan never turned on im wondering if this is what caused the coolant to spray everywhere no hoses were loose and no leaks occurred near the engine very disappointed waiting to hear back to see what the issue is

MaleRN28US

MaleRN28US

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Dec 1, 2015
Roanoke, Indiana
had my new pioneer 1000-5 out on the trail putting around trying to get broke in and at 11 miles while creeping up a hill I noticed my tempeture light came on then coolant started spraying out of overflow after I let cool down for couple of hours I filled with water to get back to truck well 5 mins in to the ride I notice the temp came up so I turned it off got towed a couple of miles when I reached main road I drove it back to truck with no issues going about 25 miles per hour tempeture never came cause of the cool air cooling the engine down also my fan never turned on im wondering if this is what caused the coolant to spray everywhere no hoses were loose and no leaks occurred near the engine very disappointed waiting to hear back to see what the issue is
Could it be air in the system? Sounds a lot like what happened after I had a coolant flush done and the mechanic didn't take the time to get all the air out. Maybe you got someone that didn't set up your machine properly?

Reactions: JACKAL and 900cfi
MaleRN28US

MaleRN28US

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Dec 1, 2015
Roanoke, Indiana
Could it be air in the system? Sounds a lot like what happened after I had a coolant flush done and the mechanic didn't take the time to get all the air out. Maybe you got someone that didn't set up your machine properly?
By the way. Welcome to the forums. I am sure someone will be along that knows more than I do very soon...lol

Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
You should've been able to hear fan coming on while riding. Honda ain't shy bout fan noise lol. It's either not being burped properly as mentioned, or problem with fan. Both would cause your symptoms.

Reactions: JACKAL
F

Fullthrottle

Oct 5, 2015
If your fan never came on I'd be checking wires and connections and fuse and breaker if there is.Might be minor issue.

S

selfguided

Jan 29, 2016
arizona
dealer called back said it was a fan harness that wasn't plugged in all the way witch was preventing fan from turning on seems to be running great now hopefully this is the only issue I was told by another 1000-5 owner that his overflow hose tube was loose and had a leak as well so might want to double check hoses to ensure no leaks occur

Reactions: utvmi
Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
dealer called back said it was a fan harness that wasn't plugged in all the way witch was preventing fan from turning on seems to be running great now hopefully this is the only issue I was told by another 1000-5 owner that his overflow hose tube was loose and had a leak as well so might want to double check hoses to ensure no leaks occur
Glad it was something simple.

Buckrocker

Buckrocker

Jan 5, 2016
Rock, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I feel your pain. I have 92 miles on mine and have already had 3 issues with wiring. Key switch, solenoid nuts not tightened and EPS light that stays on. On close inspection I really believe there will be many issues with wiring harness issues. If you look close there are so many exposed wires not protected at connectors. Water will seep into these connectors and then comes rust and bad connections. Nothing more maddening than electrical issues.

H

HondaTech

We've only had a few issues similar to this, so every 1000 gets a thorough ride before being put out for sale. I've had loose coils, paddles not plugged in, loose battery cables, ecm's not strapped down, loose overflow bottles, etc. Nothing will surprise you after you put together some of this stuff. So we always make it a point to contact our technical support or district service manager to update them on this stuff. With a hot new model, the factory is trying to crank these things out and everything doesn't get caught.
As far as wiring harness issue, Honda has, in my experience the best routing, connectors, and protection of any powersports vehicle. What other company can say they have an automotive division to steal stuff from (and believe me they do). If there connectors last a half million miles in a car, then they can hold up to the miles most put on their side by sides.

Buckrocker

Buckrocker

Jan 5, 2016
Rock, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Well got my p1000 back from a second service visit (92miles). The first dealer I took my unit to just didn't fix it. They tried their best to make me feel the problem was somehow my fault. I took it to a different dealer and explained the EPS light and other electrical issues. This dealer explained the new Pioneer 1000 would have issues but they assured me they could find it. It turned out a loose ground wire was causing many problems (EPS warning light, oil warning light and not shifting into gear). The wire is located under and behind the drivers seat. To find move the rubber protective flaps on the safety belt at the seat and look on the motor. I ran my Pioneer about 40 miles this weekend and finally had no problems! When you drive out in the boonies you just want all things to be "right".

H

HondaTech

Did you call Honda customer service on the first dealership, nothing is the customers fault until it's proven to be imo. Even if we have the faintest idea it might have been your doing, we'll still try to get it covered by Honda. They pay better anyways, always report a bad dealership experience to someone. It really makes a difference, because they do call us and ask questions about the situation and try to remedy issues before they become issues.

CashMoney

CashMoney

Feb 5, 2016
Reno, NV
www.SRTNV.com
Bumping an old thread for info, is the 1000's fan dual speed? I just remembered that the last time I was out and we were on a steep hill climb in low gear with lots of RPM and got the little temperature gauge to all 4 bars. The fan was on but it didn't sound very loud.

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Bumping an old thread for info, is the 1000's fan dual speed? I just remembered that the last time I was out and we were on a steep hill climb in low gear with lots of RPM and got the little temperature gauge to all 4 bars. The fan was on but it didn't sound very loud.

This happened to us last weekend and the the front of the radiator looked pretty clean. However, when we looked at the back of the radiator, it was completely covered up with mud!

Also, I've only heard one speed but haven't paid much attention.

Signature:

QUOTE by Eltobgi, Honda...Strong enough for the Farm!...Dependable enough for everything else!

Reactions: CashMoney
CashMoney

CashMoney

Feb 5, 2016
Reno, NV
www.SRTNV.com
I could possibly have some mud. For some reason I just remember it being louder. Then again I could have been a little deaf that night with all the noise in the cab and stereo

G

GearHeadChad

Jun 8, 2017
Fort McMurray, Alberta
Ownership

1. 1000-5
My 2017 1000-5 LE just did the same thing...I was 100km's from nowhere and the fan quit while going at low speeds over some rough terrain. wasn't staring at the temp gauge so I only noticed when the light came on, definitely lost some coolant on that one. I've only got 350km's on it, it hasn't seen mud or water yet. Luckily the rad is good and clean so as long as I maintained 20km/h or better the temp stayed down and I was able to make it back to the truck with no more issues. Not sure what the issue is yet. Gonna have to do some trouble shooting tonight. Any pointers? Know where a guy can get a copy of the 2017 service manual?

I've got to say for the premium price the take for these machines they sure let a lot of the fit and finish stuff slip past to the customer. I've had to adjust every door latch and gate latch so the don't rattle on the trail. Found a couple of roll bar bolts loose to the point the nut almost fell off. Not the kind of things I expected from Honda.

H

HondaTech

My 2017 1000-5 LE just did the same thing...I was 100km's from nowhere and the fan quit while going at low speeds over some rough terrain. wasn't staring at the temp gauge so I only noticed when the light came on, definitely lost some coolant on that one. I've only got 350km's on it, it hasn't seen mud or water yet. Luckily the rad is good and clean so as long as I maintained 20km/h or better the temp stayed down and I was able to make it back to the truck with no more issues. Not sure what the issue is yet. Gonna have to do some trouble shooting tonight. Any pointers? Know where a guy can get a copy of the 2017 service manual?

I've got to say for the premium price the take for these machines they sure let a lot of the fit and finish stuff slip past to the customer. I've had to adjust every door latch and gate latch so the don't rattle on the trail. Found a couple of roll bar bolts loose to the point the nut almost fell off. Not the kind of things I expected from Honda.

Tbh, the loose bolts are a dealer item, they may come installed but your dealer should have check all of them. I go over every one of these things religiously, you never know what the assembly guys forgot to tighten. The 700 and 500 come withour the cage installed, while the 1000 is shipped from S. Carolina to another place that installs the cage, and is suppose to check battery, fluids, etc. But we dont take anything for granite.

Reactions: utvmi and Jshell3
J

Jimmy-AZ

Lifetime Member
May 9, 2017
Gold Canyon, AZ
Ownership

1. 1000-5

Sorry to hear that Chad, yes Chad I had a similar issue with my new P1K-5 LE. I could not tell if I was in turf mode or 2 wheel lock. It was showing turf mode then flash to 2 wheel lock and back again. After our first ride (140 miles) I took it back in and they wanted me to pay $135 repair bill. I told them to stick it where the sun Don't shine. I had a long talk with the manager of the shop and asked him if I bought a car from a lot and it would not shift into reverse should I pay for that also? Then I told him the cable adjustment should have been checked before they gave it to me. Honda tech is right, don't take anything for granted.

PS I did not pay for it

drifter64

drifter64

Jun 2, 2017
St George Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The fan on these 1000 Pioneer's is Junk!!! Look in there at it, it only covers the center of the radiator. Barely

The fan looks like something off of the back of a computer from about 20yrs ago.

On a hot day 105* running up a slight gravel two track road they will overheat in about 15min! Serious!!!

I was so frustrated I decided to do something better? Any Polaris Dealer has literally hundreds of 2016 RZR Turbo fans that they are throwing away because Polaris upgraded the Fan to a bigger Brushless design as part of a recall.

So I installed it on my P1k-5 and it fit perfect (it actually has a pretty big radiator) as far a mounting it goes with just a little trimming from the Polaris mounts.

Here's where the problems began! I reinstalled the Honda Fan connector on to the Polaris fan and plugged it in but it wouldn't turn on. It would try but would not stay running. So I compared the Honda fan to the Polaris fan for amp draw at startup and here's what I found.

Honda Fan startup - 9amps
Honda Fan running - 3-4amps

Polaris Fan startup - 45amps
Polaris Fan running - 9amps

It appears the Honda ECU senses the higher amp draw and won't allow the fan signal to continue to the fan harness. So I bypassed the stock fan harness and properly wired my own with a 50amp relay and thermal temperature probe to turn on the fan at 185*. I also have a manual override switch to turn it on manually if I chose to. The relay easily handles the startup spike on the Honda electrical system.

How does it work you might ask? Unbelievable!!!

I took it out yesterday in the sand dunes at 3:00pm - it was 114* degrees out when I left. I started at the bottom of Sand Hollow and ran it as hard as I could all the way to the top, about 30min non stop and nothing but 2 bars! It literally pulls so much more air that when it does run it only runs for about 30sec then shuts off, even under extreme conditions! It probably pulls 4-X's the cfm as the stock fan.

Previously it overheated on me in that same area in about 15min and it was only 85* out that day. Junk and I will bet good money Honda fixes this in the future - I hope?

Just thought I would share. I'm actually quite surprised more people aren't reporting problems with this thing overheating?

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
The fan on these 1000 Pioneer's is Junk!!! Look in there at it, it only covers the center of the radiator. Barely

The fan looks like something off of the back of a computer from about 20yrs ago.

On a hot day 105* running up a slight gravel two track road they will overheat in about 15min! Serious!!!

I was so frustrated I decided to do something better? Any Polaris Dealer has literally hundreds of 2016 RZR Turbo fans that they are throwing away because Polaris upgraded the Fan to a bigger Brushless design as part of a recall.

So I installed it on my P1k-5 and it fit perfect (it actually has a pretty big radiator) as far a mounting it goes with just a little trimming from the Polaris mounts.

Here's where the problems began! I reinstalled the Honda Fan connector on to the Polaris fan and plugged it in but it wouldn't turn on. It would try but would not stay running. So I compared the Honda fan to the Polaris fan for amp draw at startup and here's what I found.

Honda Fan startup - 9amps
Honda Fan running - 3-4amps

Polaris Fan startup - 45amps
Polaris Fan running - 9amps

It appears the Honda ECU senses the higher amp draw and won't allow the fan signal to continue to the fan harness. So I bypassed the stock fan harness and properly wired my own with a 50amp relay and thermal temperature probe to turn on the fan at 185*. I also have a manual override switch to turn it on manually if I chose to. The relay easily handles the startup spike on the Honda electrical system.

How does it work you might ask? Unbelievable!!!

I took it out yesterday in the sand dunes at 3:00pm - it was 114* degrees out when I left. I started at the bottom of Sand Hollow and ran it as hard as I could all the way to the top, about 30min non stop and nothing but 2 bars! It literally pulls so much more air that when it does run it only runs for about 30sec then shuts off, even under extreme conditions! It probably pulls 4-X's the cfm as the stock fan.

Previously it overheated on me in that same area in about 15min and it was only 85* out that day. Junk and I will bet good money Honda fixes this in the future - I hope?

Just thought I would share. I'm actually quite surprised more people aren't reporting problems with this thing overheating?

I ride mine hard in the southern heat. 30" tires and towing other vehicles or heavy loads. Multiple passengers and tools too. I've never experienced a problem. I would say your experience is isolated and not indicative of all Pioneers. I'd say my pioneer 1000 cooling system is awesome after 2000 miles and no issues.

Maybe you have air in the system or a fan problem?

drifter64

drifter64

Jun 2, 2017
St George Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I ride mine hard in the southern heat. 30" tires and towing other vehicles or heavy loads. Multiple passengers and tools too. I've never experienced a problem. I would say your experience is isolated and not indicative of all Pioneers. I'd say my pioneer 1000 cooling system is awesome after 2000 miles and no issues.

Maybe you have air in the system or a fan problem?

Well,
I would guess your just not riding it hard enough then. I've had (4) of these units as demo's and every single one of them come summer time will overheat climbing up my favorite mountain road above Brighton Utah. All it takes is a steady constant load, climbing a mountain grade, with temps above 85*, and no stopping and your done! The red light comes on and you pull over and stop!

This is with the stock tires on the base model 5-seater. Add 30"s like I have and you, and deep sand, and your done for the day in about 15-20min!!!

My stock fan and cooling system has been fine on all of the units. It's just not enough fan. Next time yours comes on put your hand behind it, it will barely blow a candle out compared other SxS units out there!

Here's a comparison of the two fans:

Honda/Panasonic 9" 4-blade straight blade

Polaris / Spal 13" RZR Turbo 7-blade s curve

IMG 5160 IMG 5161

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!