Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Well I did some investigating, spoke with my dealerships mechanic (I live 5 hours away from them so dropping it off wasn't exactly practicle.)
Checked the relays, re-checked the fuses, checked the resistance across the thermostat, no problems found. Put 12 Volts right to the fan and it kicked on. Nothing electrical that I could test had any issues.

Mechanic suggested bleeding the cooling system as he had seen it once before, sure enough big bubble of air, re-filled the rad and tank ran her at idle for about 30 minutes and be damned if the fan didn't cut in.

Seems I managed to kick start a dead thread.

Here's to many more Gentlemen!

Glad you found it. That seems to be a common issue.

Ragnar406

Ragnar406

The Great Bald One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 5, 2016
Bella Vista, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
You guys are all doing what everyone on ATV forums do. You are only looking at things from your own area/frame of reference. Both are correct and wrong at the same time.

Drifter is in Utah. A higher altitude state than TN/N Alabama area that most of the rest of you guys are from.

Water boils at a lower temp the higher you go in altitude. Combine that with slow driving UP a mountain (likely a REAL mountain, not the foothills we call mountains around here ;) ) and you are getting even less air flow and the engine is having to work harder, just like a person would in the thinner air, because there is less O2 molecules for combustion so it is likely running more revs and generating even more heat to do the same amount of work. Because the water is boiling faster and the air is thinner the waste heat being generated by the machine isn't going to be shed as quickly. Combine that with the fact that there are fewer creeks and mud puddles and such to splash through and dump excess heat and it is very likely that Drifter may have some overheating issues that those of us in this area have never encountered.

While Drifter is wrong about Joey not running hard, he definitely does, he just does it in a different set of environmental constraints that probably never result in an overheating situation running it even harder than Drifter does. (It's harder to overheat the machine in hip deep water)

It is also possible that there is a problem with air in the cooling system or something wrong with the water pump or even an incorrect formulation of coolant for that altitude.

Don't always assume that everything is the same for everyone else in our very geographically diverse country. ;)

I know that water boils at a lower temp at higher altitudes _ one reason it takes longer to cook things at higher altitude. But the machine should have coolant / antifreeze in it correct? that would delay the boiling point to a higher temp?
Do they make different coolant for higher elevations?

Last edited:
Crow_Hunter

Crow_Hunter

May 18, 2016
Riding a Canned Ham.
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I know that water boils at a lower temp at higher altitudes _ one reason it takes longer to cook things at higher altitude. But the machine should have coolant / antifreeze in it correct? that would delay the boiling point to a higher temp?
Do they make different coolant for higher elevations?

It should be pressurized so that it isn't affected that much and the antifreeze should raise the boiling point of the water as well. I was trying more to emphasize that everyone's riding conditions/environment aren't the same and where I might not have a problem with a particular design feature you might have one because of your unique environmental conditions.

Rather than make the assumption that the person with the question was wrong or didn't know what they are talking about or don't know how to use their machine, examine why they are having the problem. You may find out that there is a specific reason often tied to their usage or where they are using it.

Reactions: rocmar
Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
It should be pressurized so that it isn't affected that much and the antifreeze should raise the boiling point of the water as well. I was trying more to emphasize that everyone's riding conditions/environment aren't the same and where I might not have a problem with a particular design feature you might have one because of your unique environmental conditions.

Rather than make the assumption that the person with the question was wrong or didn't know what they are talking about or don't know how to use their machine, examine why they are having the problem. You may find out that there is a specific reason often tied to their usage or where they are using it.
Similar to assuming that an assumption was made right?

NateinNevada

NateinNevada

Jul 31, 2017
Battle Mountain, Nevada
Ownership

1. 1000-5
My 2017 1000-5 LE just did the same thing...I was 100km's from nowhere and the fan quit while going at low speeds over some rough terrain. wasn't staring at the temp gauge so I only noticed when the light came on, definitely lost some coolant on that one. I've only got 350km's on it, it hasn't seen mud or water yet. Luckily the rad is good and clean so as long as I maintained 20km/h or better the temp stayed down and I was able to make it back to the truck with no more issues. Not sure what the issue is yet. Gonna have to do some trouble shooting tonight. Any pointers? Know where a guy can get a copy of the 2017 service manual?

I've got to say for the premium price the take for these machines they sure let a lot of the fit and finish stuff slip past to the customer. I've had to adjust every door latch and gate latch so the don't rattle on the trail. Found a couple of roll bar bolts loose to the point the nut almost fell off. Not the kind of things I expected from Honda.

Ditto on my 2017Le. Last time it happened fan was not running while coolant was boiling, shut off and restarted, fan started running and coolant stopped boiling. Had to add water to make it back to truck. Any updates as of Yet? Thanks

M

markc

May 31, 2017
eastern kentucky
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Ditto on my 2017Le. Last time it happened fan was not running while coolant was boiling, shut off and restarted, fan started running and coolant stopped boiling. Had to add water to make it back to truck. Any updates as of Yet? Thanks
got mine at the dealer for the same issue. Done it three time and each time the fans not running but when I would restart it fan kicked in lost all my coolant twice. On a side note the compartment under the hood holds a gallon of antifreeze perfect.guest Honda engineers did one thing right

E

ebkoz

Feb 27, 2017
new jersey
Just as a matter of fact The cooling system is pressurized (which raises the boiling point) and the system uses the thermostat and fan to maintain the ideal operating temp regardless of the altitude! Also, more antifreeze does not increase the boiling point. It only drops the freezing point of the coolant. Actually, the more antifreeze, the less heat is absorbed by the coolant and causing the system to work harder. It is always better to dilute the antifreeze to only cover the lowest temp in your area. This is why you never use pure antifreeze (100%).

Last edited:
Reactions: JTW and ohanacreek
NateinNevada

NateinNevada

Jul 31, 2017
Battle Mountain, Nevada
Ownership

1. 1000-5
got mine at the dealer for the same issue. Done it three time and each time the fans not running but when I would restart it fan kicked in lost all my coolant twice. On a side note the compartment under the hood holds a gallon of antifreeze perfect.guest Honda engineers did one thing right
Thank you, please update on any fix.

D

DonnieBogard

Oct 1, 2018
Fort Myers
Ownership

1. 1000-3
dealer called back said it was a fan harness that wasn't plugged in all the way witch was preventing fan from turning on seems to be running great now hopefully this is the only issue I was told by another 1000-5 owner that his overflow hose tube was loose and had a leak as well so might want to double check hoses to ensure no leaks occur
My 1000 just done the same thing I wonder where the harness was not plugged in all the way so I could check mine

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!