P1000 pioneer 1000-5 spraying coolant and fan not working with only 10 miles

H

HondaTech

Honda released our "monthly" newsletter today and mentioned a fault in the PCM programming that may allow the Pioneer 1000 to turn the temperature light on without activating the fan. This may also result in radiator boiling over.

Basically the circuit isn't being activated inside the PCM. They don't have a permanent fix just yet, but they do have something to remedy the problem if it arises.

Shut the unit off and let it sit for at least 1 full minute.
Start the unit back up without allowing the ignition switch to stay in the "ON" position. Meaning turn the switch quickly from "OFF" to "START"
Process may need to be attempted 2 or 3 times until normal fan operation resumes

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Honda released our "monthly" newsletter today and mentioned a fault in the PCM programming that may allow the Pioneer 1000 to turn the temperature light on without activating the fan. This may also result in radiator boiling over.

Basically the circuit isn't being activated inside the PCM. They don't have a permanent fix just yet, but they do have something to remedy the problem if it arises.

Shut the unit off and let it sit for at least 1 full minute.
Start the unit back up without allowing the ignition switch to stay in the "ON" position. Meaning turn the switch quickly from "OFF" to "START"
Process may need to be attempted 2 or 3 times until normal fan operation resumes

Great information, thanks. I had to happen only once after 8 months of ownership and I happened to do that process 3 months ago, the fan did kick on immediately upon restarting the engine

elkaholic

elkaholic

Illegitimi non carborundum
Vendor
Lifetime Member
May 14, 2017
Ridgeway, SC
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Does this by chance impact 700s as well? Have a friend with a 700 that has had this issue

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

E

Ericthered

Eric The Red
Lifetime Member
Nov 6, 2017
Sparks, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-3
What ever you do, put antifreeze in it and lift front to 45 degrees up and run with cap off filing the radiator as it warms up. Then install cap. Keep running at 45 degrees lift until at 2 bars on temp gauge. Then you're ready to go. You will most likely see the reservoir low the next morning. That will let you know you got the air out of the engine block. As for wiring. Tighten every ground you can find. You'll be glad you did....no troubles down the road.

H

HondaTech

What ever you do, put antifreeze in it and lift front to 45 degrees up and run with cap off filing the radiator as it warms up. Then install cap. Keep running at 45 degrees lift until at 2 bars on temp gauge. Then you're ready to go. You will most likely see the reservoir low the next morning. That will let you know you got the air out of the engine block. As for wiring. Tighten every ground you can find. You'll be glad you did....no troubles down the road.

They put a bleeder on it for a reason, lol.

Reactions: popeye
popeye

popeye

Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2016
kapowsin, Wa
Ownership

1. 1000-5
They put a bleeder on it for a reason, lol.

That’s what I’ve been trying to tell people for the last year and a half. You can monkey around winching your rig up a tree, or trying to find the steepest Hill around and hope that the rig is gonna push the air from the high point, down through below the floor boards to the radiator. Or you could just pop the middle plastic loose. You don’t even need to pull the seat back. Use a 10 mm wrench and bleed the air from the thermostat housing and not have to wonder if you got the air out or not

Reactions: CumminsPusher
E

Ericthered

Eric The Red
Lifetime Member
Nov 6, 2017
Sparks, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-3
That’s what I’ve been trying to tell people for the last year and a half. You can monkey around winching your rig up a tree, or trying to find the steepest Hill around and hope that the rig is gonna push the air from the high point, down through below the floor boards to the radiator. Or you could just pop the middle plastic loose. You don’t even need to pull the seat back. Use a 10 mm wrench and bleed the air from the thermostat housing and not have to wonder if you got the air out or not

I tried the bleeder twice. And both times got alot of bubbling fluid out. Then it would keep the heater from getting any water, so no heat. Finally popped the cap, drove half way up the toyhauler load ramp and burped fluid all over. Refilled and has worked fantastic ever since.

Bigred48

Bigred48

Jun 2, 2018
Peoria Arizona
Ownership

1. 1000-5
We've only had a few issues similar to this, so every 1000 gets a thorough ride before being put out for sale. I've had loose coils, paddles not plugged in, loose battery cables, ecm's not strapped down, loose overflow bottles, etc. Nothing will surprise you after you put together some of this stuff. So we always make it a point to contact our technical support or district service manager to update them on this stuff. With a hot new model, the factory is trying to crank these things out and everything doesn't get caught.
As far as wiring harness issue, Honda has, in my experience the best routing, connectors, and protection of any powersports vehicle. What other company can say they have an automotive division to steal stuff from (and believe me they do). If there connectors last a half million miles in a car, then they can hold up to the miles most put on their side by sides.
Hello HondaTech. I have a 2018 1000-5 Deluxe with the fan not kicking on issues. Overheats, shutdown for a few moments restart then fan on again??? Please let us know if Honda has found the solution. thanks.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Hello HondaTech. I have a 2018 1000-5 Deluxe with the fan not kicking on issues. Overheats, shutdown for a few moments restart then fan on again??? Please let us know if Honda has found the solution. thanks.
Is quality control in decline at Honda? There seems to be issues in increasing frequency. I’ve had no issues with my 2016 Pioneer that I can blame on Honda, unless that rat was hiding in the glove box while it made its way to my dealer in the shipping crate.

H

HondaTech

We haven't been notified about any solution as of yet, the issue hasn't been discussed at all really except for the aforementioned monthly tech newsletter.

I don't believe the quality control has declined, its just them trying to keep up with everyone else and the little problems that we don't expect from Big Red are showing up. Compared to what other brands have faced, its been pretty calm really.

Reactions: Montecresto

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!