Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Yeah, not riding it hard enough...you don't know me well enough. There's dozens here that will back me up.

I just found it strange that we have hundreds of members on here and a lot of them including myself need advice on something. That's why most of us are here. This is just the first I've heard of it. Most people need to "burp" the cooling system and that fixes it.

You may have one with an issue other than air trapped in the system but sometimes we ride with dozens of Pioneers and no one has ever had that issue. Even @Delton last week towed a Polaris out of the woods in terrain steep enough that the pioneer couldn't do it with out winching sometimes.

How could it be that I can tow a 2000lb pioneer through the rough trails at the Royal Blue off rode park and never get hot if what you say is true about the fan? I have no doubt that you can find a stronger fan but I have no need for one. I was hoping I could save you some headache by burping the cooling system vs changing fans. Maybe something else happening?

@CumminsPusher @Eltobgi @GlockMeister @drfubar @Tigermark @CPope @kilo and many more know that we ride hard. Our last group ride we broke a truck load of axles, steering parts, tires, wheels, brake lines, lost skid plates, bent frames, etc. yeah we ride hard but don't over heat unless it's mud packed in the radiator.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
The fan on these 1000 Pioneer's is Junk!!! Look in there at it, it only covers the center of the radiator. Barely

The fan looks like something off of the back of a computer from about 20yrs ago.

On a hot day 105* running up a slight gravel two track road they will overheat in about 15min! Serious!!!

I was so frustrated I decided to do something better? Any Polaris Dealer has literally hundreds of 2016 RZR Turbo fans that they are throwing away because Polaris upgraded the Fan to a bigger Brushless design as part of a recall.

So I installed it on my P1k-5 and it fit perfect (it actually has a pretty big radiator) as far a mounting it goes with just a little trimming from the Polaris mounts.

Here's where the problems began! I reinstalled the Honda Fan connector on to the Polaris fan and plugged it in but it wouldn't turn on. It would try but would not stay running. So I compared the Honda fan to the Polaris fan for amp draw at startup and here's what I found.

Honda Fan startup - 9amps
Honda Fan running - 3-4amps

Polaris Fan startup - 45amps
Polaris Fan running - 9amps

It appears the Honda ECU senses the higher amp draw and won't allow the fan signal to continue to the fan harness. So I bypassed the stock fan harness and properly wired my own with a 50amp relay and thermal temperature probe to turn on the fan at 185*. I also have a manual override switch to turn it on manually if I chose to. The relay easily handles the startup spike on the Honda electrical system.

How does it work you might ask? Unbelievable!!!

I took it out yesterday in the sand dunes at 3:00pm - it was 114* degrees out when I left. I started at the bottom of Sand Hollow and ran it as hard as I could all the way to the top, about 30min non stop and nothing but 2 bars! It literally pulls so much more air that when it does run it only runs for about 30sec then shuts off, even under extreme conditions! It probably pulls 4-X's the cfm as the stock fan.

Previously it overheated on me in that same area in about 15min and it was only 85* out that day. Junk and I will bet good money Honda fixes this in the future - I hope?

Just thought I would share. I'm actually quite surprised more people aren't reporting problems with this thing overheating?
I'd watch who you're saying not riding it hard enough too lol. I promise Joey would be the wrong guy. Probably like he said there may be air in the system. Cooling isn't normally an issue here. Only time I've ever had issue is riding in a pack through the mud where it gets caked from another close rider

GlockMeister

GlockMeister

The Bearded Wonder
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
May 11, 2016
Greenville, Mo
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Well,
I would guess your just not riding it hard enough then. I've had (4) of these units as demo's and every single one of them come summer time will overheat climbing up my favorite mountain road above Brighton Utah. All it takes is a steady constant load, climbing a mountain grade, with temps above 85*, and no stopping and your done! The red light comes on and you pull over and stop!

This is with the stock tires on the base model 5-seater. Add 30"s like I have and you, and deep sand, and your done for the day in about 15-20min!!!

My stock fan and cooling system has been fine on all of the units. It's just not enough fan. Next time yours comes on put your hand behind it, it will barely blow a candle out compared other SxS units out there!

Here's a comparison of the two fans:

Honda/Panasonic 9" 4-blade straight blade

Polaris / Spal 13" RZR Turbo 7-blade s curve

View attachment 47042 View attachment 47043
I'm pretty sure that @joeymt33 would put most people to shame on pushing his machine. I've seen a lot of members here including my self push the machine much harder than what you have described with out having that problem

Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
To be fair my rig did run hot dragging the Popo up that long hill. But at that steep grade, dragging a dead utv, temps in upper 80s, 1st gear low range running 9-11 mph....what vehicle wouldn't get warm? It never lost a drop of coolant. I just let her sit 15-20 minutes then drug it the rest of the way. @joeymt33 pushes his rig harder than you could ever dream of pushing it so you're barking up the wrong tree. Nobody from our group backs down from any obstacle. And that's saying alot considering where we ride. The Pioneer's cooling system is more than adequate. So long as there isn't any air in it.

Crow_Hunter

Crow_Hunter

May 18, 2016
Riding a Canned Ham.
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
You guys are all doing what everyone on ATV forums do. You are only looking at things from your own area/frame of reference. Both are correct and wrong at the same time.

Drifter is in Utah. A higher altitude state than TN/N Alabama area that most of the rest of you guys are from.

Water boils at a lower temp the higher you go in altitude. Combine that with slow driving UP a mountain (likely a REAL mountain, not the foothills we call mountains around here ;) ) and you are getting even less air flow and the engine is having to work harder, just like a person would in the thinner air, because there is less O2 molecules for combustion so it is likely running more revs and generating even more heat to do the same amount of work. Because the water is boiling faster and the air is thinner the waste heat being generated by the machine isn't going to be shed as quickly. Combine that with the fact that there are fewer creeks and mud puddles and such to splash through and dump excess heat and it is very likely that Drifter may have some overheating issues that those of us in this area have never encountered.

While Drifter is wrong about Joey not running hard, he definitely does, he just does it in a different set of environmental constraints that probably never result in an overheating situation running it even harder than Drifter does. (It's harder to overheat the machine in hip deep water)

It is also possible that there is a problem with air in the cooling system or something wrong with the water pump or even an incorrect formulation of coolant for that altitude.

Don't always assume that everything is the same for everyone else in our very geographically diverse country. ;)

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
You guys are all doing what everyone on ATV forums do. You are only looking at things from your own area/frame of reference. Both are correct and wrong at the same time.

Drifter is in Utah. A higher altitude state than TN/N Alabama area that most of the rest of you guys are from.

Water boils at a lower temp the higher you go in altitude. Combine that with slow driving UP a mountain (likely a REAL mountain, not the foothills we call mountains around here ;) ) and you are getting even less air flow and the engine is having to work harder, just like a person would in the thinner air, because there is less O2 molecules for combustion so it is likely running more revs and generating even more heat to do the same amount of work. Because the water is boiling faster and the air is thinner the waste heat being generated by the machine isn't going to be shed as quickly. Combine that with the fact that there are fewer creeks and mud puddles and such to splash through and dump excess heat and it is very likely that Drifter may have some overheating issues that those of us in this area have never encountered.

While Drifter is wrong about Joey not running hard, he definitely does, he just does it in a different set of environmental constraints that probably never result in an overheating situation running it even harder than Drifter does. (It's harder to overheat the machine in hip deep water)

It is also possible that there is a problem with air in the cooling system or something wrong with the water pump or even an incorrect formulation of coolant for that altitude

Drifter is in Utah but his altitude difference is a mute point concerning the boiling point of water, if he has a functioning radiator cap and cooling system. The cap allows the system to pressurize and regulate pressure. No altitude you can drive to in the lower 48 should affect that.

I have driven a loaded 4x4 Suburban XL and an overloaded Jeep Rubicon to right at 14,000' from sea level and then from @9000 to @14000 repetitively all day long and no overheating issues with standard 50:50 mix. Google "Pineapple Powder Hawaii" they were the ski lifts, we got EXTREMELY lucky two times we were there.

9c21f28c21c8e17d6377c5b2a750b87f

SEVERE POWER LOSS though.

Not sure what his issue is but fairly sure not those two things.

I would first guess air in system my 700 had to be burped and several members 1000's have needed it.

I would hope he checked those things over though before going through all that trouble to swap fans. His post didn't say or I missed it.

Reactions: lee and joeymt33
drifter64

drifter64

Jun 2, 2017
St George Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-5

It is also possible that there is a problem with air in the cooling system or something wrong with the water pump or even an incorrect formulation of coolant for that altitude.

Don't always assume that everything is the same for everyone else in our very geographically diverse country. ;)

Right on track Crow Hunter!

I'm quite sure these guys ride their machine plenty hard. I've got nothing to gain here and everything to share!

It's not a contest about who rides harder or whatever it's about sharing problems that come up. My guess is these guys from the South have never had their Pioneers in Deep sand or held them at high rpm's constantly for 15-20min?

I guaran dam tee these machines overheat when you run them in sand or at a constant high rpm maximum horsepower range and high altitude. Rock crawling, technical obstacles they are just fine.

I've had 4 of them and they were all the same - just fine most of the time, but put them at a fast race pace, wide open throttle for 15 - 20min, 85* plus without letting off and they overheat where I ride!!!

With the heat wave we're having in the West right now, changing out that wimpy stock fan is the best mod I've done so far, other than my forward a-arms, rear 1.5 arms, and complete Walker Evans Suspension!

I would love to meet up with these guys and their rigs and head out to Coral Pink Sand dunes for the day. Only problem is they would be done in 15-20min because they overheated.

I really didn't buy this rig to run it so hard. I originally bought it as my race support rig for my Can-am factory sponsored King Of The Hammers rig. However, it surprises me every time out and I enjoy taking it for the challenge of driving it as fast as possible and leaving my Polaris buddy's behind and bewildered!

Reactions: joeymt33
ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Right on track Crow Hunter!

I'm quite sure these guys ride their machine plenty hard. I've got nothing to gain here and everything to share!

It's not a contest about who rides harder or whatever it's about sharing problems that come up. My guess is these guys from the South have never had their Pioneers in Deep sand or held them at high rpm's constantly for 15-20min?

I guaran dam tee these machines overheat when you run them in sand or at a constant high rpm maximum horsepower range and high altitude. Rock crawling, technical obstacles they are just fine.

I've had 4 of them and they were all the same - just fine most of the time, but put them at a fast race pace, wide open throttle for 15 - 20min, 85* plus without letting off and they overheat where I ride!!!

With the heat wave we're having in the West right now, changing out that wimpy stock fan is the best mod I've done so far, other than my forward a-arms, rear 1.5 arms, and complete Walker Evans Suspension!

I would love to meet up with these guys and their rigs and head out to Coral Pink Sand dunes for the day. Only problem is they would be done in 15-20min because they overheated.

I really didn't buy this rig to run it so hard. I originally bought it as my race support rig for my Can-am factory sponsored King Of The Hammers rig. However, it surprises me every time out and I enjoy taking it for the challenge of driving it as fast as possible and leaving my Polaris buddy's behind and bewildered!

15mins of WOT.... ok makes much more sense.

Sand yes, but there's nowhere to run WOT for 15min here that's not interstate

drifter64

drifter64

Jun 2, 2017
St George Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-5
15mins of WOT.... ok makes much more sense.

Sand yes, but there's nowhere to run WOT for 15min here that's not interstate

Out here we have huge dunes and dirt two-track mtn passes that literally go on and up for 15-20 miles from 7000' to 11,500'.

All (4) have been the same. The one I have now is the most modified and actually took the longest to get hot.

Problem Solved Now!

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV

I personally wasn't discounting the story (except for the joey part, he's one of the very few I can run extremely hard with) but I have rode this machine at temps well over 100 climbing hills in low at 55-6000 ft loaded with gear and 5 people with only 2-3 bars max. Out of a couple of the issues this machine has I surely don't think cooling is one them and anyone that knows me knows I'm not bashful about admitting a fault in the P1k.
This is not a common problem you hear of often without air in system or mud in radiator.
As far as small fan, I've been in car industry for years and Honda has always had a much smaller fan that seems to out perform many of the larger ones in comparable models from America especially. Occasionally a car would come over for paint with dead battery and it would go into the paint booth left running to charge at 180 degrees for 30 min without issues.
With all that said I totally applaud @drifter64 for coming up with a solution to satisfy his personal needs for the machine. And on top of that there was useful information on how others could get this done in a correct fashion as to not not harm the electrical system on the pioneer. Good job!

drifter64

drifter64

Jun 2, 2017
St George Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I personally wasn't discounting the story (except for the joey part, he's one of the very few I can run extremely hard with) but I have rode this machine at temps well over 100 climbing hills in low at 55-6000 ft loaded with gear and 5 people with only 2-3 bars max. Out of a couple of the issues this machine has I surely don't think cooling is one them and anyone that knows me knows I'm not bashful about admitting a fault in the P1k.
This is not a common problem you hear of often without air in system or mud in radiator.
As far as small fan, I've been in car industry for years and Honda has always had a much smaller fan that seems to out perform many of the larger ones in comparable models from America especially. Occasionally a car would come over for paint with dead battery and it would go into the paint booth left running to charge at 180 degrees for 30 min without issues.
With all that said I totally applaud @drifter64 for coming up with a solution to satisfy his personal needs for the machine. And on top of that there was useful information on how others could get this done in a correct fashion as to not not harm the electrical system on the pioneer. Good job!

Thx, and much appreciated Cummins Pusher!

It's weird how it works, but it totally follows science of automobiles. Think about your fan story and how good electric fans work around town and on pretty much all cars nowadays? Usually they struggle though when the engine must maintain maximum horsepower for an extended time and heavy load.

However, they never put electric fans on heavy duty trucks because they just can't pull enough air past the radiator in extreme conditions. So they use mechanical clutch fans or electric/hydraulic fans like the big diesels.

A great electric dual fan system like Ford or GM uses on their 1/2 tons can pull around 6500cfm on high speed.

A clutch fan on a Ram, GM, Ford HD Diesel Is told to pull upwards of 20,000cfm when it fully engages!

Like I said it's a pretty decent system the way Honda intended this machine to be used, mostly because it does have a fairly large radiator. Push it super hard though in sand, high range maximum rpm's, 85* plus temps, constant load, and you've got about 15-20min.

Last edited:
JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
It cracks me up every time I see these old threads revive after being dead for 18 months. Opinions are like viagra gets everyone hard up on a topic.

On the first page OP came back fan harness was unplugged, that solved his issue.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Thx, and much appreciated Cummings Pusher!

It's weird how it works, but it totally follows science of automobiles. Think about your fan story and how good electric fans work around town and on pretty much all cars nowadays? Usually they struggle though when the engine must maintain maximum horsepower for an extended time and heavy load.

However, they never put electric fans on heavy duty trucks because they just can't pull enough air past the radiator in extreme conditions. So they use mechanical clutch fans or electric/hydraulic fans like the big diesels.

A great electric dual fan system like Ford or GM uses on their 1/2 tons can pull around 6500cfm on high speed.

A clutch fan on a Ram, GM, Ford HD Diesel Is told to pull upwards of 20,000cfm when it fully engages!

Like I said it's a pretty decent system the way Honda intended this machine to be used, mostly because it does have a fairly large radiator. Push it super hard though in sand, high range maximum rpm's, 85* plus temps, constant load, and you've got about 15-20min.
Well like I said this isn't a common issue with the Pioneer so I wouldn't call that junk. I do know the differences between heat, speed, rpm and work load for cooling. I'm one to understand electric vs. clutch fans as just my bus uses a 30hp hydraulic fan and I'd never go electric in my pickup but that's not practical for a Sxs in any way.
I do push my rig as well and in most situations I could possibly encounter it's adequate and feel for most it is.
I think you did a great job bumping up the cooling capacity for your needs. When I build something for my own personal needs on my Sxs I don't call others junk because they didn't need it for their theirs.

Crow_Hunter

Crow_Hunter

May 18, 2016
Riding a Canned Ham.
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Drifter is in Utah but his altitude difference is a mute point concerning the boiling point of water, if he has a functioning radiator cap and cooling system. The cap allows the system to pressurize and regulate pressure. No altitude you can drive to in the lower 48 should affect that.

I have driven a loaded 4x4 Suburban XL and an overloaded Jeep Rubicon to right at 14,000' from sea level and then from @9000 to @14000 repetitively all day long and no overheating issues with standard 50:50 mix. Google "Pineapple Powder Hawaii" they were the ski lifts, we got EXTREMELY lucky two times we were there.

View attachment 47079

SEVERE POWER LOSS though.

Not sure what his issue is but fairly sure not those two things.

I would first guess air in system my 700 had to be burped and several members 1000's have needed it.

I would hope he checked those things over though before going through all that trouble to swap fans. His post didn't say or I missed it.

I don't disagree. A properly designed and assembled cooling system should be sealed and it should be blind to any outside factors. Personally, I would check to make sure that the system is pressurized before I got carried away with changing the fan design. But that is an assumption. If we take Drifters comments at face value and he has seen this on 4 different units in his usage, that pretty much statistically eliminates the improperly assembled portion (unless that is part of dealer prep and all 4 came from the same dealer) and the likelihood that the system has a leak/pressure loss.

But you did it again. ;) You used/setup a false equivalency. Unintentionally I am sure. Unless you were running a Pioneer 1000 through that, you can't say that a Pioneer 1000 wouldn't have an overheating problem. The two machines you used are a completely different design that only share principals of operation. (Water cooled internal combustion engines) By the way, going to Hawaii and doing that is one of my bucket list items, my brother did it and loved it.

This is rampant on OHV/ATV/UTV discussion groups. People have a problem and then someone else says, I don't have that problem so you are wrong. But unless you are using your machine in identical conditions and setup, you can't say that. I really notice it on Facebook. People will have a clutch issue and someone will immediately say that they have 3 or 4 times the number of miles and no problems. Investigate further by looking at miles and hours both and person A (problem) has an average 5MPH while person B (no problem) has an average of 15-20MPH. You can't say that the uses of person A and person B are identical. The difference in usage is could be a significant factor in person A's problems. Person B's machine might very well have a clutch issue if he used it the same as person A, while both are identical designs, because the usage is different it is a false equivalency.

I have to set up experiments as part of my job so I live and breathe comparative analysis so this type of stuff stands out to me. I think it would be a better discussion board and a helpful resource if we could do a better job of exploring issues and the reasons behind them rather than setting up false equivalencies and making inadequate comparisons. I think we might be able to solve more issues for people.

Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I don't disagree. A properly designed and assembled cooling system should be sealed and it should be blind to any outside factors. Personally, I would check to make sure that the system is pressurized before I got carried away with changing the fan design. But that is an assumption. If we take Drifters comments at face value and he has seen this on 4 different units in his usage, that pretty much statistically eliminates the improperly assembled portion (unless that is part of dealer prep and all 4 came from the same dealer) and the likelihood that the system has a leak/pressure loss.

But you did it again. ;) You used/setup a false equivalency. Unintentionally I am sure. Unless you were running a Pioneer 1000 through that, you can't say that a Pioneer 1000 wouldn't have an overheating problem. The two machines you used are a completely different design that only share principals of operation. (Water cooled internal combustion engines) By the way, going to Hawaii and doing that is one of my bucket list items, my brother did it and loved it.

This is rampant on OHV/ATV/UTV discussion groups. People have a problem and then someone else says, I don't have that problem so you are wrong. But unless you are using your machine in identical conditions and setup, you can't say that. I really notice it on Facebook. People will have a clutch issue and someone will immediately say that they have 3 or 4 times the number of miles and no problems. Investigate further by looking at miles and hours both and person A (problem) has an average 5MPH while person B (no problem) has an average of 15-20MPH. You can't say that the uses of person A and person B are identical. The difference in usage is could be a significant factor in person A's problems. Person B's machine might very well have a clutch issue if he used it the same as person A, while both are identical designs, because the usage is different it is a false equivalency.

I have to set up experiments as part of my job so I live and breathe comparative analysis so this type of stuff stands out to me. I think it would be a better discussion board and a helpful resource if we could do a better job of exploring issues and the reasons behind them rather than setting up false equivalencies and making inadequate comparisons. I think we might be able to solve more issues for people.
Not surprised at all to find out you do that for a living. Personally I don't pay much attention to how something looks "on paper". Cause more often than not it fails. Too many variables with humans involved. Look at the clutch issue. Why hasn't that been figured out?

Crow_Hunter

Crow_Hunter

May 18, 2016
Riding a Canned Ham.
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Not surprised at all to find out you do that for a living. Personally I don't pay much attention to how something looks "on paper". Cause more often than not it fails. Too many variables with humans involved. Look at the clutch issue. Why hasn't that been figured out?

Not sure if that was an insult or a compliment. ;)

To Honda's defense, I don't think there is a simple fix on the clutches. Like you said there are a huge number of variables from electrical, to cooling, to oil flow rates, to vehicle speeds, probably others that we are not aware of internally like solenoid performance variability or assembly issues and that is completely leaving out the human operator element. To setup a DOE to cover that would take an enormous amount of time and test machines. I figure it is taking them a lot of smaller tests and time to sort through the truly relevant issues and the one offs. That is completely leaving out the combo variables. Say the cooling and oil flow rates are fine in isolation but in combination with some other factor it is a problem. Very, very complicated.

Then the people variable. Most people, myself included, probably assume that the machine is a Honda. Which means you ride it and laugh at all the other people with broken parts. Even though the operator instructions for the a 420 Rancher or a Honda Rubicon may say you need to do XYZ to prevent damaging the transmission, nobody ever pays attention to that because NO BELTS and HONDA and they can take the abuse and keep on going. Unfortunately, this unit isn't like that and you really have to treat it more like it is a rubber band unit being cognizant of avoiding "belt" burning situations similar to a unit with a CVT and I think that gets some people in trouble.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5

But you did it again. ;) You used/setup a false equivalency.....

Not false equivalency, vehicle Altitude is above 8500' altitude
Pioneer is above 8500'.
Not comparing vehicles, Altitude, Coolant and sealed cooling system are what are being compared. All other things being equal as a properly designed sealed cooling system is assumed to be equal. We are assuming proper design as this is the first time this has been documented on here that it was not Air in the system or a disconnected fan. Then standard physics and chemistry which are always consistent are also equal.

Therefore there was an outside variable or drifter was applying an outside variable. i.e:Air in system, dust clogged radiator fins, consistent poor assembly by dealer(train someone wrong and thats the only way they know how), or like we learned "something new" WOT, max RPM, extended use......once the outside variable was identified, boom everything all added up again.

Thanks to him we learned something new, even if it was an abrasive way of announcing it.

I agree and YOU do it, you would NOT set up your own facts based example for the heat coming off of yours based on your use. Would just say it was burning hot, pissed moaned and bought a Can-Am and complained about it in one of the first posts you posted about it. I even gave you an easily repeatable example, of how I measured the heat coming off of mine. We could have collaborated but that was not your goal. People also won't accept facts if they don't want to, it can stare them in the face and they will not change their mind, either hurts pride or lightens wallet.

Another thing is everything on the internet STAYS on the internet and if someone says I did A then B and my clutches exploded in blue sparks(by the way Purple spars are WAY worse {Sarcasm they don't produce sparks}) then they worry they will not get it fixed under warranty so TRUTH is a huge issue with figuring out the actual solution to the clutch issue.

See above, people need to be honest but that ain't happening when it might mean they might have to pay for something expensive.

See below.... In statistical analysis with a large enough sample size to be really worth anything the data is going to be slightly imperfect, due to human interaction. Statistical analysis will allow you to remove the outliers after investigation and then use the data remaining. However that data can still be correlated to swing one way or another based on what an individual wants it to say. Correlation can be created by assuming certain things are actually linked. People lie and want their opinion to be fact. I deal with crotchety old engineers on a regular basis that own engineering firms, they don't want to change because they haven't learned anything new in 15 years. They share their OPINION as fact, using outdated information. Their opinion can easily be shown to be opinion or outdated using current information and data. I love to do it, I just wish I got to drive away in their sports cars too.

I like cold hard facts, they don't lie, even if they tell you a truth you don't want to hear.

Bizarre correlation 1 data analytics 768x303

This one is my favorite, but you could argue for a possible correlation here if obesity index lined up.
Bizarre correlation 2 data analytics 768x303

Their could be something to this I ate a lot of pizza in college, Sr year may have even accounted for the spike in 2001.
Bizarre correlation 3 data analytics 768x303

Must have bought a lot of dogs online
Bizarre correlation 4 data analytics

Bizarre correlation 7 data analytics

Not sure if that was an insult or a compliment. ;)

To Honda's defense, I don't think there is a simple fix on the clutches. Like you said there are a huge number of variables from electrical, to cooling, to oil flow rates, to vehicle speeds, probably others that we are not aware of internally like solenoid performance variability or assembly issues and that is completely leaving out the human operator element. To setup a DOE to cover that would take an enormous amount of time and test machines. I figure it is taking them a lot of smaller tests and time to sort through the truly relevant issues and the one offs. That is completely leaving out the combo variables. Say the cooling and oil flow rates are fine in isolation but in combination with some other factor it is a problem. Very, very complicated.

Then the people variable. Most people, myself included, probably assume that the machine is a Honda. Which means you ride it and laugh at all the other people with broken parts. Even though the operator instructions for the a 420 Rancher or a Honda Rubicon may say you need to do XYZ to prevent damaging the transmission, nobody ever pays attention to that because NO BELTS and HONDA and they can take the abuse and keep on going. Unfortunately, this unit isn't like that and you really have to treat it more like it is a rubber band unit being cognizant of avoiding "belt" burning situations similar to a unit with a CVT and I think that gets some people in trouble.

Which is probably what they are doing and why its taking so long. I also think some people treat it as an actual auto or as a CVT, and not as a machine with a CLUTCH. Thieves can't even steal older cars today because they can't drive stick, its now a security feature. There are a lot of guys who think they can drive a CVT and are probably the reason a lot of belts are burnt too. I knew what I initially intended to do with my 700 was going to burn belts. Didn't hurt the 700, I wouldn't try it with the 1000, because it was well beyond the rated tow capacity of the 700 and 1000.

Read the description of the video for why it was posted after I sold it, goes right back to why a clutch issue is going to take a long time and a lot of Hondas money to fix.

Crow_Hunter

Crow_Hunter

May 18, 2016
Riding a Canned Ham.
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Not false equivalency, vehicle Altitude is above 8500' altitude
Pioneer is above 8500'.
Not comparing vehicles, Altitude, Coolant and sealed cooling system are what are being compared. All other things being equal as a properly designed sealed cooling system is assumed to be equal. We are assuming proper design as this is the first time this has been documented on here that it was not Air in the system or a disconnected fan. Then standard physics and chemistry which are always consistent are also equal.

If you are evaluating the design of the cooling system (size of the fan) you would make the assumption that it was the same and then try to test the null hypothesis. You can't do that without having the machine there. Just saying that a particular pair of vehicles didn't have a problem on a similar set of circumstances isn't equivalent. It is anecdotal observations. You have to actually test the system.

Therefore there was an outside variable or drifter was applying an outside variable. i.e:Air in system, dust clogged radiator fins, consistent poor assembly by dealer(train someone wrong and thats the only way they know how), or like we learned "something new" WOT, max RPM, extended use......once the outside variable was identified, boom everything all added up again.

Thanks to him we learned something new, even if it was an abrasive way of announcing it.

I agree it was not the best way to open up a discussion and that was definitely a factor.

I agree and YOU do it, you would NOT set up your own facts based example for the heat coming off of yours based on your use. Would just say it was burning hot, pissed moaned and bought a Can-Am and complained about it in one of the first posts you posted about it. I even gave you an easily repeatable example, of how I measured the heat coming off of mine. We could have collaborated but that was not your goal. People also won't accept facts if they don't want to, it can stare them in the face and they will not change their mind, either hurts pride or lightens wallet.

I don't setup my own "facts". I always tell it like I observe it. Including with my new Can Am. I don't remember complaining about it. I listed out the things that I liked more than the Pioneer and listed the things that I liked more about the Pioneer. Not doing so would have been setting up my own facts. I think you may have me mixed up with someone else about the heat. I observed that mine was hot but it wasn't something that I really complained about or the reason I got rid of my Pioneer. If that had been the only thing I didn't like about it, I would have kept it. I would be happy to do some heat testing on the Defender similar to what you posted on the Pioneer. I guess I didn't realize it was directed at me. I thought it was directed at Ridem32. I think it would be interesting if everyone wants me to. I can do it Sunday, it is pouring rain here for the next couple of days.

Another thing is everything on the internet STAYS on the internet and if someone says I did A then B and my clutches exploded in blue sparks(by the way Purple spars are WAY worse {Sarcasm they don't produce sparks}) then they worry they will not get it fixed under warranty so TRUTH is a huge issue with figuring out the actual solution to the clutch issue.

I agree.

See above, people need to be honest but that ain't happening when it might mean they might have to pay for something expensive.

See below.... In statistical analysis with a large enough sample size to be really worth anything the data is going to be slightly imperfect, due to human interaction. Statistical analysis will allow you to remove the outliers after investigation and then use the data remaining. However that data can still be correlated to swing one way or another based on what an individual wants it to say. Correlation can be created by assuming certain things are actually linked. People lie and want their opinion to be fact. I deal with crotchety old engineers on a regular basis that own engineering firms, they don't want to change because they haven't learned anything new in 15 years. They share their OPINION as fact, using outdated information. Their opinion can easily be shown to be opinion or outdated using current information and data. I love to do it, I just wish I got to drive away in their sports cars too.

I am crotchety but not that old. I try not to allow my opinion to cloud my facts. If that were true, I would still have the Honda because I think it looks better than the Defender and I have always owned Honda prior to this and on paper the P1000-5 is the best thing since sliced bread. It just didn't work out for my uses.

I like cold hard facts, they don't lie, even if they tell you a truth you don't want to hear.

I assume you are doing the charts in jest. Correlation does not equate to causation. You can find correlations on just about anything if you pick the right data set to use. ;)

<SNIP>

Which is probably what they are doing and why its taking so long. I also think some people treat it as an actual auto or as a CVT, and not as a machine with a CLUTCH. Thieves can't even steal older cars today because they can't drive stick, its now a security feature. There are a lot of guys who think they can drive a CVT and are probably the reason a lot of belts are burnt too. I knew what I initially intended to do with my 700 was going to burn belts. Didn't hurt the 700, I wouldn't try it with the 1000, because it was well beyond the rated tow capacity of the 700 and 1000.

I agree with you 100%. Just reading forums you can see that most people don't know how to drive a CVT either. And very few people understand the differences between the Polaris/Can Am type primary and the Yamaha style wet clutch. Not driving them correctly will burn up the belt (clutch on Polaris/Can Am) or burn up the wet clutch shoes on the Kawi/Yami clutches. The difference is that generally burning up a belt on a CVT is "expected" while burning up the clutch on a Honda is like the Spanish Inquisition :D. That is probably why lots of people are so disappointed.

Read the description of the video for why it was posted after I sold it, goes right back to why a clutch issue is going to take a long time and a lot of Hondas money to fix.

Mine in red.

G

GearHeadChad

Jun 8, 2017
Fort McMurray, Alberta
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Well I did some investigating, spoke with my dealerships mechanic (I live 5 hours away from them so dropping it off wasn't exactly practicle.)
Checked the relays, re-checked the fuses, checked the resistance across the thermostat, no problems found. Put 12 Volts right to the fan and it kicked on. Nothing electrical that I could test had any issues.

Mechanic suggested bleeding the cooling system as he had seen it once before, sure enough big bubble of air, re-filled the rad and tank ran her at idle for about 30 minutes and be damned if the fan didn't cut in.

Seems I managed to kick start a dead thread.

Here's to many more Gentlemen!

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!