P1000 Pioneer 1000 low-end power

aauman88

aauman88

Supporting Member
Feb 19, 2019
Georgia
Ownership

1. 1000-5
if you are doing a tune use a Talon ECU with IGR solves shifting issues and you can remove the torque management. Then you don’t need to rebuild/change oil in portals, don’t have steering issues or ball joint problems associated with larger tires with the additional forces the portals put on the suspension.

IF you’re in the mud all the time portals are fine but other than that look at IGR and a Talon ECU

IGR won’t give me ground clearance, isn’t easily reversible and requires ECU or programming changes to make it work correctly.

Portals gave me ground clearance, is easily reversible and requires no ECU or programming changes.

Yeah I have to change the oil in them after every 3rd or 4th ride. Takes an hour and $15 in oil.

Good and bad in both. Portals are better for me and no internal work or grinding 🤷🏻‍♂️

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
IGR won’t give me ground clearance, isn’t easily reversible and requires ECU or programming changes to make it work correctly.

Portals gave me ground clearance, is easily reversible and requires no ECU or programming changes.

Yeah I have to change the oil in them after every 3rd or 4th ride. Takes an hour and $15 in oil.

Good and bad in both. Portals are better for me and no internal work or grinding 🤷🏻‍♂️

Portals WONT stand up to rocks and rough trails, they do ok but every machine that has ridden with a non-portal group off the green trails in TN has had issues. Maybe not major failures of the portals themselves but it generally required some sort of a tow back to camp then fabricated repairs to get going again if at all.

Once you’ve installed the IGR it is as easy to reverse as changing a clutch, because you’re pretty much doing that.

All that added ground clearance would make me too top heavy to ride the hills and mountains.

You were/are already talking about programming changes so that is something that is going to happen either way.

Like I said they are perfect for mud and flatland but not really worth using anywhere else. It depends on where you have to ride locally.

Reactions: TripleB
aauman88

aauman88

Supporting Member
Feb 19, 2019
Georgia
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Yep I understand that. And where we ride non portal machines ALWAYS get stuck and we spend most of our time pulling them out. Again I’m not campaigning for portals over IGR but this guy that asked runs BKT’s and was playing in the mud so I doubt he is setting up to ride mountain trails. My Honda will probably never see the mountains. I used to want to go to the takeover but I have built my machine the way I needed it local for what we do. I would have to build another trail Pioneer to go ride with you guys

Last edited:
aauman88

aauman88

Supporting Member
Feb 19, 2019
Georgia
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I love everything about the bike i just want to know what I can do to get more torque out of it to turn the tires in low range before something happens to it

View attachment 207862 View attachment 207863

Honestly if I was you I would do a tune first. The tune itself gave a tremendous amount of low end torque to my machine. Then you do t go into you trans case and grind off and don’t have the expense of portals.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Yep I understand that. And where we ride non portal machines ALWAYS get stuck and we spend most of our time pulling them out. Again I’m not campaigning for portals over IGR but this guy that asked runs BKT’s and was playing in the mud so I doubt he is setting up to ride mountain trails. My Honda will probably never see the mountains. I used to want to go to the takeover but I have built my machine the way I needed it local for what we do. I would have to build another trail Pioneer to go ride with you guys

missed the BKTs but that’s why I said perfect for that use, because they are.

some folks try to push them as a perfect solution for bigger tires everywhere, but there is no perfect solution that is for every type of terrain.

Alan_Vander

Alan_Vander

Mar 19, 2019
rosepine,la
Ownership

1. 700-4
Portals WONT stand up to rocks and rough trails, they do ok but every machine that has ridden with a non-portal group off the green trails in TN has had issues. Maybe not major failures of the portals themselves but it generally required some sort of a tow back to camp then fabricated repairs to get going again if at all.

Once you’ve installed the IGR it is as easy to reverse as changing a clutch, because you’re pretty much doing that.

All that added ground clearance would make me too top heavy to ride the hills and mountains.

You were/are already talking about programming changes so that is something that is going to happen either way.

Like I said they are perfect for mud and flatland but not really worth using anywhere else. It depends on where you have to ride locally.
Actually mine held up nicely on the ride royal blue trails. I did have a failure in one of my portal brackets but that was really a design flaw more than a total failure. Of coarse i have the 700 and im not skinny pedal heavy. But i could of easily broke them the same way at home on the mud trails

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

aauman88

aauman88

Supporting Member
Feb 19, 2019
Georgia
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Actually mine held up nicely on the ride royal blue trails. I did have a failure in one of my portal brackets but that was really a design flaw more than a total failure. Of coarse i have the 700 and im not skinny pedal heavy. But i could of easily broke them the same way at home on the mud trails

I’m far from easy on mine but I don’t rock climb in the mountains so guess that makes my opinion one sided

Alan_Vander

Alan_Vander

Mar 19, 2019
rosepine,la
Ownership

1. 700-4
Im not easy on mine but im not a floor it through rough stuff type of person especially when there is a chance of turning over. Cant be shaking my beer up like that

aauman88

aauman88

Supporting Member
Feb 19, 2019
Georgia
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Im not easy on mine but im not a floor it through rough stuff type of person especially when there is a chance of turning over. Cant be shaking my beer up like that

We trail ride and mud ride but I’d say 75% is mudding. We also use it to ride dirt roads around family land and to ride the 500 acres around the lake. I haven’t had a portal related failure yet. Have I upgraded stuff? Of course I have but all of it I probably would have upgraded anyway without the portals because half the fun of owning the Pioneer is modding it. Around me the portal setup is common but on here it’s like I’m riding a Polaris or something 😂

Alan_Vander

Alan_Vander

Mar 19, 2019
rosepine,la
Ownership

1. 700-4
We trail ride and mud ride but I’d say 75% is mudding. We also use it to ride dirt roads around family land and to ride the 500 acres around the lake. I haven’t had a portal related failure yet. Have I upgraded stuff? Of course I have but all of it I probably would have upgraded anyway without the portals because half the fun of owning the Pioneer is modding it. Around me the portal setup is common but on here it’s like I’m riding a Polaris or something
Same here except my biggest issue is i have utv solution portals . The only portal failure iv had was a idler bearing go out. The rest have been the portal brackets themselves which now are all but bulletproof. Still on 2 of the stock 14 ball joints but i swapped tie rods to hime joints style

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
We trail ride and mud ride but I’d say 75% is mudding. We also use it to ride dirt roads around family land and to ride the 500 acres around the lake. I haven’t had a portal related failure yet. Have I upgraded stuff? Of course I have but all of it I probably would have upgraded anyway without the portals because half the fun of owning the Pioneer is modding it. Around me the portal setup is common but on here it’s like I’m riding a Polaris or something 😂
Portal Owners Lives Matter in my book! HA! You knew that was coming from someone! HA!

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5

Yep It’s always been one of the parts the portals themselves are really tough. The manufacturers really need to use better materials on the brackets and mounts.