P1000 Pioneer 1000 Terra45 Winch Install.

IdahoPioneer

IdahoPioneer

Oct 16, 2015
Emmett, Idaho
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
I would not use a roller fairlead with a synthetic cable. The gap between the rolls when pulling at an angle can pinch the cable adding stress to the cable. Additionally the rollers can pick up dirt on their full diameter which can embed in the rope as it rolls.

I did some reading on that. Basically everybody that hadn't done it was recommending against it. Everybody that had done it said it was fine and there weren't any problems. I don't think I'm worried about the roller setup. My biggest concern is leaving it with the hawse. Has anybody used theirs extensively with the hawse fairlead at that extreme angle? @Hondasxs @Springer @Johnny_C @ghost @Ned

Last edited:
nerd

nerd

Aug 22, 2017
KY
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Well, in my testing it became apparent that I have backwards!
The motor & the electrical terminals should be on the right side.

John

Why is this the case? I checked mine tonight - I have the motor and wires to the left (passenger side) and rope in an underwind position. I agree the diagram on page 3 shows motor to the right but the detail on installation on page 5 shows motor to the left.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I did some reading on that. Basically everybody that hadn't done it was recommending against it. Everybody that had done it said it was fine and there weren't any problems. I don't think I'm worried about the roller setup. My biggest concern is leaving it with the hawse. Has anybody used theirs extensively with the hawse fairlead at that extreme angle? @Hondasxs @Springer @Johnny_C @ghost @Ned

I pinched my synth rope with the roller fairlead that came with the winch on my 700 and it snapped, I replaced it with a hawse fairlead and the winch on my 1000 came with the hawse fairlead.

I have winched several times at a 45 degree angle and it doesn’t seem to bother it at all.

Reactions: joeymt33
IdahoPioneer

IdahoPioneer

Oct 16, 2015
Emmett, Idaho
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
I pinched my synth rope with the roller fairlead that came with the winch on my 700 and it snapped, I replaced it with a hawse fairlead and the winch on my 1000 came with the hawse fairlead.

I have winched several times at a 45 degree angle and it doesn’t seem to bother it at all.

Excellent! Real data. Thanks. I suppose I'll leave the fairlead alone and just keep an eye on things. I honestly don't anticipate using it a ton.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Eltobgi
ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Excellent! Real data. Thanks. I suppose I'll leave the fairlead alone and just keep an eye on things. I honestly don't anticipate using it a ton.

I see your avatar,If you’re using it to plow use a plow strap I have heard the ropes steel or synth don’t like that.

IdahoPioneer

IdahoPioneer

Oct 16, 2015
Emmett, Idaho
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
I see your avatar,If you’re using it to plow use a plow strap I have heard the ropes steel or synth don’t like that.

I don't have a plow yet but might in the future. Forgive my ignorance but what is a plow strap and what is it used for?

ua13gt

ua13gt

Oct 13, 2015
Rincon, GA
Switch to an EMP mount it holds the winch upside down and allows the synthetic rope to come straight out of the opening

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: 1Gerry
IdahoPioneer

IdahoPioneer

Oct 16, 2015
Emmett, Idaho
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Switch to an EMP mount it holds the winch upside down and allows the synthetic rope to come straight out of the opening

I guess I will if I have to but I just spent time and money getting this done. Before tearing it all back apart and spending more money I want to know if it will work.

ua13gt

ua13gt

Oct 13, 2015
Rincon, GA
I guess I will if I have to but I just spent time and money getting this done. Before tearing it all back apart and spending more money I want to know if it will work.

I can certainly understand that. I installed mine quite sometime ago and have only used it a couple times but if I think about it I will take a picture tomorrow of just how the angle is coming off of the spool for reference

nerd

nerd

Aug 22, 2017
KY
Ownership

1. 1000-5

Read your manual to make sure your winch can be oriented that way and not malfunction / void the warranty. The Superwinch specifically says not to mount it upside down

Reactions: Eltobgi
Eltobgi

Eltobgi

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 21, 2016
North Dakota
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Read your manual to make sure your winch can be oriented that way and not malfunction / void the warranty. The Superwinch specifically says not to mount it upside down
Read??????o_O You are a nerd! Arent there any pictures;):confused:

Reactions: nerd
nerd

nerd

Aug 22, 2017
KY
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I called Superwinch CS this morning because I was genuinely curious about this. First off, this is the second time I've called and was connected to a real person who actually knew what they were talking about (or were very convincing if not) - so great CS from my experience.

I asked about the winch setup for a synthetic rope - because the rope does NOT come on the drum. If you setup the winch with the motor to the left, the rope should then be installed in an underwind position. After that, he said you can flip it 180 deg, up-side-down (though the manual says not to... I didn't argue, haha), etc. Therefore, if you have the motor and connections on the right, the rope would actually appear to be in an overwind position, even though it's installed correctly.

If in doubt - just call and talk to someone - not worth ruining your winch!

Reactions: ua13gt
Eltobgi

Eltobgi

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 21, 2016
North Dakota
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
I read good enough for someone in KY... but I just call and talk to a feller that knows what he's talkin about (then I don't have to read!)
Lmfao!!!!

MountainMan

MountainMan

Sep 1, 2014
Spokane Valley, Washington
Ownership

1. 700-4

2. 1000-5
HondaSXS,

Hello, I have been watching this forum every day since I buying my Pioneer 1000-5 in November. Very informative stuff, appreciate all the effort that goes into it. So I decided to install my Terra 45 and accessories as was described in this thread (HONDASXS with PDM) and have ran into some questions. I wired a Winch On/Off switch next to a Winch In/Out Switch, they both get power from the PDM on a 10amp circuit and in turn supply power to the in/out terminals on the winch solenoid. the main power supply and everything else appears to be routed the same as HondaSXS post in the beginning. Me and my buddy helping (the brains) figured the PDM would be enough to trigger the switching in the solenoid and since the main power comes from the battery. Its hard from the description to determine exactly how you got your power to the solenoid from your switch. Problem we are having is when you turn the winch power switch on and then hit the IN/Out switch the winch works like it should. as soon as you let go of the In/Out it faults the PDM and turns that circuit red, the others stay orange. Reset by turning power on and off and it works again until you let go of the IN/Out switch and then faults. Our solution was the PDM was not meant for this type of load and we ran the power from the IN/OUT switch thru a relay and have power coming from battery to relay, that way the PDM is only having to power the relay and get power to solenoid from relay/battery. Also the lead from battery to relay is fused. Sorry this is my first post ever on a forum and I don't have pictures. So any advice would be appreciated as I am not an experienced electrician by any means. How did you get power to the solenoid, and if you used the PDM did you have any issues? Note. we also tried on a 15amp circuit and got the same fault.
--------------------------------------

I encountered the same problem as observed by @TexHonda1000-5. I used an oscilloscope to trace down the problem and thought I would share my findings with others.

Issue
This scenario exists when using a PDM60 as the power source to the Up/Down switch that is connected to a winch contactor. The contactor is an electromagnetic switch that controls the electrical power to the winch. When releasing the switch from either the “In” or “Out” position, the PDM60 will frequently trip some of the circuits and will need to be reset. This problem can occur whether or not the winch is under load.

Cause
When pressing the “In or “Out” position on the switch, 12V will be applied to the solenoid coils found on the winch contactor, which will then activate the winch. Once the switch is release, there is residual energy stored in the solenoid coil which results in a high frequency/high voltage oscillation due to the inherent inductance and parasitic capacitance found in the contactor coils. This high frequency oscillation will dampen after a few hundred microseconds, however there is sufficient time to effectively capacitively couple across the In/Out switch which ultimately puts the PDM60 in a fault condition. In my case, several of the PDM60 outputs were is a fault state (red and orange LEDs). Keep in mind, this phenomenon happens nearly instantaneously after the switch is released and while the Up/Down switch contacts are still extremely close to each other.

Solution
Fortunately, this problem is easy to fix. My contactor was shipped from the factory with a jumper from the solenoid ground pin to the negative voltage slug on the winch side of the contactor. If possible, disconnect this jumper and run a wire from the solenoid ground to a location as close as possible to the PDM60 ground. Next, place a voltage suppressor (Zener Diode) on both the Up solenoid pin and Down solenoid pin to the solenoid ground pin. Make sure the suppressor is close to the winch contactor. The voltage suppressor I used was 1N6276A. The suppressor will eliminate the high voltage/high frequency oscillations. The attached schematic shows how the voltage suppressor is wired to the contactor.

20180308 201504

Weezil

Weezil

Mar 8, 2019
South Carolina
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I just found this forum while installing my Superwinch Tera 35 on my recently purchased 1000-5. First offroad vehicle and first winch. Not an electrician so trying to pull from knowledge of others. Thanks for sharing. After reading through it seems most of you used 4500lb winches. Is that because Honda uses a 4500lb Warn in dealer install? I read that 1.5x weight of vehicle is safe winch capacity. Is that wrong? On advice from a YouTube video I used a fuse tap to power winch switch and remote port, tapping into ignition 15a fuse. It works but winch is powered when key is off. My question, is it okay to leave it that way or should I tap the white/black wire exiting the fuse box shown by Hondasxs? Also, I used the ground cable installed from factory instead of grounding to battery terminal like winch instructions. Would like confirmation that won't bite me down the road. Thx
20190308 170217
20190308 170234

jwfirebird

jwfirebird

Sep 23, 2018
western ny
Ownership

1. 700-2
had the super winch 3500 for about 15 years ad transferred it to next machine it was fine for quads but when i put it on the rhino it would stall in bad mud or snow and ice, machine weighs maybe 60 percent of the 1k you have. the sizing guides are bs if you mud alot or snow. had to double it a bunch of times. why i got the 45 this time. also the steel is junk if you have alot of mud too,use it quite a bit and it lasted 6 months before it exploded. got amsteel blue and left the rollers on lasted that way doing a bunch of mud and snow and trees to get firewood, lasted over 10 years before it wore out and broke when it fell into swamp and ice.never pinched or bothered cleaning it like everyone says.
would get some rope and doubling pulleys if you dont do serious work with it like where the bottom is all on mud/ice it might be fine

Reactions: Mudwing
my99svt

my99svt

I identify as a lesbian
Lifetime Member
Dec 25, 2016
Broken Arrow, Oklahoma
Ownership

1. Talon X

2. Talon R
I've used my superwinch terra 35 with synthetic lots over the last couple years. It's never failed to get me out of some pretty nasty situations. You'll be fine!

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I just found this forum while installing my Superwinch Tera 35 on my recently purchased 1000-5. First offroad vehicle and first winch. Not an electrician so trying to pull from knowledge of others. Thanks for sharing. After reading through it seems most of you used 4500lb winches. Is that because Honda uses a 4500lb Warn in dealer install? I read that 1.5x weight of vehicle is safe winch capacity. Is that wrong? On advice from a YouTube video I used a fuse tap to power winch switch and remote port, tapping into ignition 15a fuse. It works but winch is powered when key is off. My question, is it okay to leave it that way or should I tap the white/black wire exiting the fuse box shown by Hondasxs? Also, I used the ground cable installed from factory instead of grounding to battery terminal like winch instructions. Would like confirmation that won't bite me down the road. ThxView attachment 113481 View attachment 113482
Take your fuse tap and rotate it 180 in the fuse panel. That should solve your winch always being on.

Reactions: Weezil

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!