P1000 Pioneer 1000 Terra45 Winch Install.

Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Cool thanks for the explanation. Not sure what (if any) extra electrical accessories I will add, so I'll have to think about buying one. As for the winch, is it too low or too high for the fairlead? If it's too low, is there enough overhead space to use a spacer block between winch and mount? I made one for my Foreman when new winch I bought sat lower than previous one.
I apologize for all the questions. I like doing the research before hitting the "add to cart" button lol. I researched for 6 months before buying parts to turbo my Dodge Neon lol.

PioneerPete

PioneerPete

Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2016
Chattanooga, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Cool thanks for the explanation. Not sure what (if any) extra electrical accessories I will add, so I'll have to think about buying one. As for the winch, is it too low or too high for the fairlead? If it's too low, is there enough overhead space to use a spacer block between winch and mount? I made one for my Foreman when new winch I bought sat lower than previous one.
the winch line is too low for the fairlead location. I'm not sure whether a spacer block would fit or not.

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
the cooper busman pdm that jackal and others have used on their builds has 5 fused relays and 10 fuses in one convenient package. it makes life simpler for adding multiple accessories because your relays and fuses are already to go in a plug and play module. a single heavy gage wire from your battery to the pdm powers all the relayed and fused accessories that you add to your vehicle (instead of having to wire them all up separately and potentially run individual power wires to each relay). it's not necessarily required for mounting the winch. It's just a convenient way to buy/install a new power center similar to your stock fuseblock and relay system.
as far as the cable angle, I believe all mounts end up with the same angle.

Just a clarification on this. Winches more specifically their solenoid need to be wired DIRECTLY to the battery, I'm talking the + & - 6 gauge Red & Black wires. Winches pull well over 100 amps at full load. The Bussman PDM has five 35 amp relays on 30 amp fuses plus five 15 amp fused wires, all other accessories can go through the PDM but not the main winch power supply. I didn't want there to be any confusion or electrical fires on the topic by running a winch to the PDM.

Springer

Springer

Apr 2, 2014
mine is mounted opposite also
I just installed my Terra 45 last night. I noticed that the winch in speed is higher than the winch out speed. Could that possibly make a difference when winding from the top vs the bottom, or mounting the winch with the motor to the left, or motor to the right?
I mounted mine like HONDASXS, but wound the rope from the top to eliminate the angle. It also uses the higher in speed to reel it in that way.
Winding it from the top did not improve the angle much, and makes the rope ride on the top winch cross member.
I am rethinking how I have mounted this so looking for others thoughts.
Thanks

Oh, and what are folks doing with the extra 3 feet of power cable to the winch? I am going to cut them down and install new connectors n the end.

Johnny_C

Johnny_C

Nov 19, 2015
Western N. Carolina
Springer,
Your mentioning of the in & out speeds
is significant, in my opinion. I think for
proper gearing, it needs to wound for
the slower in speed, for maximum pulling
power.
Page 3 clearly indicates that the mfg is
stating that an underwind in arrangement
is how these winches were designed to
be used, so I guess I will configure as
shown in the manual, including placing
the motor on the left side of the 1k3.
I will have to take a chance on the
extreme angle of the rope entering
the hawse, as well as see if I can
covert it to a wire cable & fairlead
assy, if needed.

Good catch!

John

I just installed my Terra 45 last night. I noticed that the winch in speed is higher than the winch out speed. Could that possibly make a difference when winding from the top vs the bottom, or mounting the winch with the motor to the left, or motor to the right?
I mounted mine like HONDASXS, but wound the rope from the top to eliminate the angle. It also uses the higher in speed to reel it in that way.
Winding it from the top did not improve the angle much, and makes the rope ride on the top winch cross member.
I am rethinking how I have mounted this so looking for others thoughts.
Thanks

Oh, and what are folks doing with the extra 3 feet of power cable to the winch? I am going to cut them down and install new connectors n the end.

Reactions: pct
Springer

Springer

Apr 2, 2014
Springer,
Your mentioning of the in & out speeds
is significant, in my opinion. I think for
proper gearing, it needs to wound for
the slower in speed, for maximum pulling
power.
Page 3 clearly indicates that the mfg is
stating that an underwind in arrangement
is how these winches were designed to
be used, so I guess I will configure as
shown in the manual, including placing
the motor on the left side of the 1k3.
I will have to take a chance on the
extreme angle of the rope entering
the hawse, as well as see if I can
covert it to a wire cable & fairlead
assy, if needed.

Good catch!

John
I just remounted mine in the same manner you described after consulting the install manual. Also installed my KFI remote winch controller as well instead of using the wired remote.
I will end up getting a roller fairlead as I will be using this to plow snow and don't want to ruin my rope.
Thanks for your thoughts!

Reactions: pct
ghost

ghost

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2015
BC
Did you just make some bars to go
between the bolts?

Thanks!

John
That's the plan. Shopping for materials today.
1/2 inch bars and longer bolts. I wish I had room for more than 1/2 inch but when I measured it - even 1/2 inch looked like a big improvement.

ghost

ghost

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2015
BC
It was on my short list after doing some research and asking around - then it went on sale. Boxing day I think.
I talked to Motoalliance support and had a good experience.
Got nothing bad to say about the other 2.

Reactions: LaVell
N

Ned

May 12, 2015
West Kentucky
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I think I have read all the threads on mounting a winch. I have coming a SuperWinch 4500 and KFI mount. As I read everything, I can't help but wonder that if KFI made the mount for this vehicle then they must be aware of the rope angle? Does the KFI winch when used with the KFI mount also have a similar angle of pull or is the design or profile of the SuperWinch make a difference? In my reading I note that several owners have installed winches and many indicate they are working fine and are happy with them. My questions are: Is everyone experiencing this degree of rope angle (other than those who mount on top of say a bumper)? Can someone confirm that the Honda OEM mount eliminates the angle or does it also pull at an angle? I would think that if the OEM mount pulls at a similar angle then I won't worry but I too will look to place spacers to diminish the angle.

PioneerPete

PioneerPete

Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2016
Chattanooga, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I think I have read all the threads on mounting a winch. I have coming a SuperWinch 4500 and KFI mount. As I read everything, I can't help but wonder that if KFI made the mount for this vehicle then they must be aware of the rope angle? Does the KFI winch when used with the KFI mount also have a similar angle of pull or is the design or profile of the SuperWinch make a difference? In my reading I note that several owners have installed winches and many indicate they are working fine and are happy with them. My questions are: Is everyone experiencing this degree of rope angle (other than those who mount on top of say a bumper)? Can someone confirm that the Honda OEM mount eliminates the angle or does it also pull at an angle? I would think that if the OEM mount pulls at a similar angle then I won't worry but I too will look to place spacers to diminish the angle.
I can confirm that the Honda OEM mount with Warn winch has an angle. It looks similar to the photo of the kfi mount and line angle that someone posted here earlier. I tried to get a picture of mine, but its too well protected. Can barely see it in there.

PioneerPete

PioneerPete

Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2016
Chattanooga, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
@Calvin,
For the light on the switch. I just ran the brown wire tap straight to the switches via the yellow wires shown behind the switches.

NO. Do not run this USB via the brown wire light tap.
The light will always be on whenever it has power. Don't really need a relay. But I would fuse it.
I ended up having to switch my USB port because it stays lit anytime it has power, and I didn't use key on power for anything... I only used lights on power for lower lights on the rockers, and always on power for everything else. The always on power comes from an isolable second battery so not too much to worry about if a switch is inadvertently left on overnight or something like that, but not having any switch on power forced me to switch my usb port.

Last edited:
ghost

ghost

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2015
BC
I can confirm that the Honda OEM mount with Warn winch has an angle. It looks similar to the photo of the kfi mount and line angle that someone posted here earlier. I tried to get a picture of mine, but its too well protected. Can barely see it in there.
If I had a metal shop I would build an upside down mount.
KFI was first on the market - flat mount, then Super ATV with vertical mount. Maybe the next will be upside down. That would spool from the "bottom" but have almost no angle to the fairlead.

N

Ned

May 12, 2015
West Kentucky
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thanks Pete, I can only believe that if the Honda OEM and the KFI mount pull at a pretty steep and similar angle across the fairlead, then it must be a workable design. Although I have the KFI mount on the way, I am going to wait on another member here who has coming and it going to try out the side mounted SuperATV mount before I unbox. I am not a winch guy and have never used one but it seems to me that a bumper level setup out in the open would be optimal but I won't spend several hundred more dollars on an aftermarket bumper just to mount a winch on. I plan on using the crap out of mine, pulling logs and other work. I don't expect that I will be stuck much.

PioneerPete

PioneerPete

Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2016
Chattanooga, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thanks Pete, I can only believe that if the Honda OEM and the KFI mount pull at a pretty steep and similar angle across the fairlead, then it must be a workable design. Although I have the KFI mount on the way, I am going to wait on another member here who has coming and it going to try out the side mounted SuperATV mount before I unbox. I am not a winch guy and have never used one but it seems to me that a bumper level setup out in the open would be optimal but I won't spend several hundred more dollars on an aftermarket bumper just to mount a winch on. I plan on using the crap out of mine, pulling logs and other work. I don't expect that I will be stuck much.
The angle at a roller fairlead causes a negligible increase in the overall stress in the wire rope cable. The primary stress seen by the winch cable, axial stress, dwarfs any stress added by the bend over the roller fairlead. The hawse type are not ideal, but they will eventually wear into a smooth transition.

Last edited:
PioneerPete

PioneerPete

Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2016
Chattanooga, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
This should help illustrate the importance of drum sizing for typical wire rope cables. I haven't studied the synthetic cables, but they are probably more tolerable to smaller drums.
Upload 2016 2 17 19 38 3

Reactions: pct and joeymt33
Test - Grid

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!