P500 Pioneer 500 Clutch Adjustment (Video)

• Thread starter Deleted member 3748
  • Start date
trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
I hope that fixes it for you. If not, it's probably one of the other simple fixes posted here on the forum.

Just to follow up, this worked! Took it on about a 25 mile ride and it never missed a beat. My machine is shifting better now than when I got it. Thanks Piston!

Reactions: Deleted member 3748
D

Deleted member 3748

That was my experience too. I'm glad it worked and you're back in business.

Reactions: trigger
D

Deleted member 3748

You are the man @PistonHonda ! Never had any problems with mine until today and I remembered this thread. It stuck in 5th today and I had to turn around, started from a dead stop in fifth and got back to the trail head. Needed a push to help it on the trailer, towed it home, power washed it on the trailer, then it eventually downshifted for me and I backed it in the garage.
I'll try this adjustment tomorrow morning.
Mine got stuck in 3rd tonight! :D The gear display was blank and I couldn't shift at all. I was able to turn it off and back on to get it going again though. It's been around 700 miles since my last adjustment so I'm going to do it again this weekend.

Question for you @trigger - could you have manual shifted to neutral and winched it on to your trailer when you were stuck in fifth?

Reactions: trigger
Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
Emergency shift wrench under seat? Just another post to bring up that hidden tool to new owners, I was lucky to have the dealer point it out to me on delivery. P500 - wont start or shift :-(. (Not to high jack this thread on clutch adjustment, ..think I'll make a new post on same under general discussion to highlight it again).

Last edited:
trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Mine got stuck in 3rd tonight! :D The gear display was blank and I couldn't shift at all. I was able to turn it off and back on to get it going again though. It's been around 700 miles since my last adjustment so I'm going to do it again this weekend.

Question for you @trigger - could you have manual shifted to neutral and winched it on to your trailer when you were stuck in fifth?

Mine wouldn't shift at all and gear display was blank. I didn't shut it off for fear that it wouldn't restart in gear. I knew about the wrench under the seat too but we had had a full day of riding and were ready to call it anyway. Still can't believe I got it going from a full stop in fifth gear. After trailering it home, I turned on the key and it showed 5th, took some playing around with the paddles and eventually got it to neutral and fired it up.

D

Deleted member 3748

Mine wouldn't shift at all and gear display was blank. I didn't shut it off for fear that it wouldn't restart in gear. I knew about the wrench under the seat too but we had had a full day of riding and were ready to call it anyway. Still can't believe I got it going from a full stop in fifth gear. After trailering it home, I turned on the key and it showed 5th, took some playing around with the paddles and eventually got it to neutral and fired it up.
Yeah, that's exactly how mine was. I was going to say I should start traveling with a 14mm wrench, but I already do that. ;)

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Or.......sat back and drank a coldy pop while mama pushed it up on the trailer. ;)

SouthwestORV

SouthwestORV

Oct 24, 2018
Taylor, Arizona
Ownership

1. 500
Great video. I'm thinking mine is ready for an adjustment. It seems to lag a little between shifts lately, like it takes longer hit (engage) after the shift. I'll try it this weekend and see if it makes a difference. Out of curiosity, have you ever adjusted your valves, or had them adjusted?

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
Great video. I'm thinking mine is ready for an adjustment. It seems to lag a little between shifts lately, like it takes longer hit (engage) after the shift. I'll try it this weekend and see if it makes a difference. Out of curiosity, have you ever adjusted your valves, or had them adjusted?
Had the same question, not done yet, 1600 miles. Multi - Poll - Valve Adjustment or not

JCart

JCart

Lifetime Member
Jul 14, 2014
Kamloops, BC Canada.
Ownership

1. 500
Thanks Piston, mine seemed to be almost slipping and have only adjusted once previous. Set it up too tight, was grabby, messed with it again and still must undo slightly... great video and I’ll try it cold. When it’s right mine just snicks into gear smoothly, now it’s still a wheee bit grabby.
Thanks again,
j

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!