P500 Pioneer 500 plow size

M

Madness

Nov 23, 2018
Canada
Ownership

1. 500
I was looking at Canadian tire today and they had a Koplin plow kit on sale. They have two different kits, one is for an ATV and one is for a UTVThe Only difference is it has longer push bars for the UTV kit . My question was, because the pioneer 500 is the size of an ATV, should I put the ATV kit on it as it’s universal ? I think the UTV kit might be too big if it installs on a P1000? What are your thoughts? The ATV kit blade is 60 inches wide. Thanks

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Make sure it's a front mount and not a mid mount. Allows you to raise the blade higher for stacking snow and leaving the mount on doesn't interfere with ground clearance. 66" is what most use on the P5 as you'll still be wider than your track width when at angle.

Rustneversleeps

Rustneversleeps

Oct 30, 2018
Talon,New Brunswick,Canada
Ownership

1. 500
These are on Special right now for ATV only At Crappy Tire...I also was thinking of one of these but after doing a lot googling and guesstaments I think the mount would be right under the front axles and would put stress there. and the push tube looks short and if it did fit behind the wheels like most mid mount are,or unless you using a front mount,the push tube would be short and probably get a 10'' lift. Me if had the extra cash i get the KFI or Warn front mount and you'll probably get 24" in height blade...

Hope that helps.
Upload 2019 12 22 17 53 8

Reactions: trigger
M

Madness

Nov 23, 2018
Canada
Ownership

1. 500
I picked one up today and have done some measurements. It looks like the bracket is going to mount behind the axle Basically right in front of the firewall. The instructions call for the bracket to be 17 inches from the lowest point of the front bumper which looks like a perfect mounting spot. I’m going to mount the bracket and put the arms on to see how much left I get before going any farther. If it doesn’t fit right it will go back to the store. I’ll let you know how it goes. I’m only using it for some light snow ploughing around my old house so I’m not too concerned about it being heavy duty or extrawide. Thank you for your input.

Reactions: Rustneversleeps
M

Madness

Nov 23, 2018
Canada
Ownership

1. 500
Make sure it's a front mount and not a mid mount. Allows you to raise the blade higher for stacking snow and leaving the mount on doesn't interfere with ground clearance. 66" is what most use on the P5 as you'll still be wider than your track width when at angle.
It looks like it will melt just behind the front axle on the square frame. 17 inches from the lowest point of the front bumper. I’m hoping that’s far enough forward to give me good lift

M

Madness

Nov 23, 2018
Canada
Ownership

1. 500
So I just mounted the Koplin Switchblade 60” ATV plow on my P5... not the UTV version...the bracket mounted perfectly just behind the front axel.. the u bolts are on each side of the vertical tube right behind the rear a arm mount..the bracket is about 18” wide and perfectly straddles the p5 16” frame rails..
I assembled the plow, installed it and I have 26” of lift from the ground to the bottom edge of the plow. .. perfect for stacking... due to the shape and angle of the P5 front bumper plate..im waiting now for some snow to try it out..but so far, I’d have to say that for $350, it’s almost like it was made to fit the P5 perfectly... the only modification I had to do is a couple holes in the plastic factory skid plate for the u bolts. If anyone is interested in this install, pm for some pics. Thanks!

Rustneversleeps

Rustneversleeps

Oct 30, 2018
Ownership

1. 500
So I just mounted the Koplin Switchblade 60” ATV plow on my P5... not the UTV version...the bracket mounted perfectly just behind the front axel.. the u bolts are on each side of the vertical tube right behind the rear a arm mount..the bracket is about 18” wide and perfectly straddles the p5 16” frame rails..
I assembled the plow, installed it and I have 26” of lift from the ground to the bottom edge of the plow. .. perfect for stacking... due to the shape and angle of the P5 front bumper plate..im waiting now for some snow to try it out..but so far, I’d have to say that for $350, it’s almost like it was made to fit the P5 perfectly... the only modification I had to do is a couple holes in the plastic factory skid plate for the u bolts. If anyone is interested in this install, pm for some pics. Thanks!

Any pics of the mount and it location and the 26'' height is what I would like to see....
I'd figure you only get about 10''-12'' height considering it's a push plow.
I was going to purchase the ATV version to but thought it wouldn't fit thinking the bracket would not work and being right behind the rear A-arm would be to much stress.....
Where did you install the smaller bracket...
would be nice to see pics ...:)

Last edited:
Reactions: trigger
M

Madness

Nov 23, 2018
Canada
Ownership

1. 500
Any pics of the mount and it location and the 26'' height is what I would like to see....
I'd figure you only get about 10''-12'' height considering it's a push plow.
I was going to purchase the ATV version to but thought it wouldn't fit thinking the bracket would not work and being right behind the rear A-arm would be to much stress.....
Where did you install the smaller bracket...
would be nice to see pics ...:)
should have ask can you still rotate your blade full turn with out rubbing the tires..
For some reason I can’t post pics, send me an email and I’ll send you some.
[email protected]

Rustneversleeps

Rustneversleeps

Oct 30, 2018
Ownership

1. 500
For some reason I can’t post pics, send me an email and I’ll send you some.
[email protected]

Email Sent Thanks...

The 26” is on the high side Of the blade when at full pivot. It’s 22” when set straight.

when you say pivot are you referring to height or the angle of the blade...
And if i could get 22'' when straight i'd be happy with that and 26'' even better..

Rustneversleeps

Rustneversleeps

Oct 30, 2018
Ownership

1. 500
Hey man thanks for the pics...helped out Alot...I like the way you have it set up,I would have never thought of installing that way i figure more futher back that why i thought we would only get 10 to 12'' height..
I wonder if the u-bolts was moved back just behind the rear of the A-arm,do you think it would rub tires at full turn...
And how many square U-bolts did you get in the Kit ...did you use he small brackets in the kit
Sorry for over analyzing this,my wife says I'm bad for that.lol
I just want to make it right and hate to bend the frame ...
Guess I'll be looking at getting a Kolpin while there on sale.
Thanks

M

Madness

Nov 23, 2018
Canada
Ownership

1. 500
Hey man thanks for the pics...helped out Alot...I like the way you have it set up,I would have never thought of installing that way i figure more futher back that why i thought we would only get 10 to 12'' height..
I wonder if the u-bolts was moved back just behind the rear of the A-arm,do you think it would rub tires at full turn...
And how many square U-bolts did you get in the Kit ...did you use he small brackets in the kit
Sorry for over analyzing this,my wife says I'm bad for that.lol
I just want to make it right and hate to bend the frame ...
Guess I'll be looking at getting a Kolpin while there on sale.
Thanks
I used the main mounting bracket with the two smaller brackets attached to it to make it larger. I used the two square u brackets on the main part of the bracket(forward) but I have to purchase two more,as the kit only came with 2. I used the round ones for now but have not tighten them down yet.If you adjust the pivot pins far enough forward, the angle of the skid plate hugs the push bars when fully lifted. That’s what gives you such high lift. I inquired to Koplin about the differences between the ATV plough and the UTV plough other than one can go to 60 inches and the other goes to 72. They said that the push tube and plow assembly are exactly the same. They actually use extensions bolted onto the plough tubes for the UTV kit... To me that would make it weaker? Right? That’s why I used the ATV version. That plough was only $349 at Canadian tire.
I will get some better pictures of the bracket assembly underneath tomorrow in the daylight for you.
Hope this helped

Rustneversleeps

Rustneversleeps

Oct 30, 2018
Ownership

1. 500
I used the main mounting bracket with the two smaller brackets attached to it to make it larger. I used the two square u brackets on the main part of the bracket(forward) but I have to purchase two more,as the kit only came with 2. I used the round ones for now but have not tighten them down yet.If you adjust the pivot pins far enough forward, the angle of the skid plate hugs the push bars when fully lifted. That’s what gives you such high lift. I inquired to Koplin about the differences between the ATV plough and the UTV plough other than one can go to 60 inches and the other goes to 72. They said that the push tube and plow assembly are exactly the same. They actually use extensions bolted onto the plough tubes for the UTV kit... To me that would make it weaker? Right? That’s why I used the ATV version. That plough was only $349 at Canadian tire.
I will get some better pictures of the bracket assembly underneath tomorrow in the daylight for you.
Hope this helped

Yes it sure does help.Thanks Man..It looks like your right unless there tubes and then 4 bolted in..Bracket looks wider too....

Upload 2019 12 26 22 54 19

M

Madness

Nov 23, 2018
Canada
Ownership

1. 500
Yes it sure does help.Thanks Man..It looks like your right unless there tubes and then 4 bolted in..Bracket looks wider too....

View attachment 172632
Yes the bracket is definitely wider, but it’s made for a wide frame like the p1000, the p500 is a lot more narrow.
The brackets are the same gauge steel, same strength, just different sizes.
So technically the smaller one should be stronger...lol
I just didn’t like that they use extensions on the push tubes..way too many bolted points..that’s why I opted to try to make the ATV kit fit.

Rustneversleeps

Rustneversleeps

Oct 30, 2018
Ownership

1. 500
this is what i have to look forward to,that if you like snow.not a big drive but i also do part of the backyard in last pic pass the shed with the 24'' snowblower...this was taken 2014-02-15 ...Was a bad storm..
Great White North gotta love it...

2014 02 15 101020
2014 02 15 101037
2014 02 15 100816

2014 02 15 124531

M

Madness

Nov 23, 2018
Canada
Ownership

1. 500
this is what i have to look forward to,that if you like snow.not a big drive but i also do part of the backyard in last pic pass the shed with the 24'' snowblower...this was taken 2014-02-15 ...Was a bad storm..
Great White North gotta love it...

View attachment 172649 View attachment 172650 View attachment 172651
View attachment 172652
Hopefully the p500 will help.
I’m in Barrie Ontario, on Lake Simcoe.
I’ll take more pics tomorrow once I get the 2 u bolts on... I’m going to cut the bolts down in length too so they aren’t so long. They should only be about 5mm past the nut.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!