Pioneer 700 died, now no spark

A

Alex1nonly

Sep 23, 2019
Florida
Ownership

1. 700-4
Hello guys, new member in need of assistance. I bought my 2015 Pioneer 700-4 three weeks ago. I've put 74 miles on it since I got it with no issues. It has 2492 miles and 273hrs on it. I was trail riding last weekend for about 30 min when my son got his quad stuck. I left the Pioneer running (idling normal) while I helped move the quad out of the sand. My niece stayed in the Pioneer and told me the engine just stopped (no spudder or hesitation)
We pulled it back, I've checked both plugs and no spark. Battery still has good charge even after cranking for a while trying to troubleshoot

My question; -is this a bad coil? How do I check?
I checked the resistance on the wires coming into the coil, I got 10.32? Not sure what it should be...
Any help would be appreciated

Received 976030679398522

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Hi. Welcome to the forum.
I'm not quite sure myself.

You sure it has no spark. Did you not see. How about touching for spark. It want kill you. Lol.

Not too many report of lost spark.

Check any connectors you can.
Check grounds.
Check computer.
Has been a few stator issues.

I worked in a 700 today that a mouse ate some wires.

Any flashing lights on the display?

Ok. Maybe someone else has a idea.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

JimmyA

JimmyA

Oct 8, 2017
Northeast texas
Ownership

1. 700-4
Is the unit parked on level ground?
Gear shifter in what position?
Check fuses?
??? Someone else will chime in, but your issue sounds like something simple.

Russ989

Russ989

Land of the free because of the Brave! 🇺🇸
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hello guys, new member in need of assistance. I bought my 2015 Pioneer 700-4 three weeks ago. I've put 74 miles on it since I got it with no issues. It has 2492 miles and 273hrs on it. I was trail riding last weekend for about 30 min when my son got his quad stuck. I left the Pioneer running (idling normal) while I helped move the quad out of the sand. My niece stayed in the Pioneer and told me the engine just stopped (no spudder or hesitation)
We pulled it back, I've checked both plugs and no spark. Battery still has good charge even after cranking for a while trying to troubleshoot

I checked the resistance on the wires coming into the coil, I got 10.32? Not sure what it should be...

View attachment 157341
Do you hear the fuel pump when you turn the key forward into the accessory position?

Russ989

Russ989

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5

View attachment 157341
Also, one way to rule out no spark is to put a new spark plug in the socket and see if you can see the spark or go to your local auto parts store and pick up a coil tester, sometimes it can be hard to tell when you’re trying to hold the plug and turn the key. You can also try to duplicate your test in the dark as well. I keep a coil tester in the tool chest for occasions like this.

B6EE1875 F7FB 4EBC 881E 91C04C0505A0

Last edited:
A

Alex1nonly

Sep 23, 2019
Florida
Ownership

1. 700-4
Also, one way to rule out no spark is to put a new spark plug in the socket and see if you can see the spark or go to your local auto parts store and pick up a coil tester, sometimes it can be hard to tell when you’re trying to hold the plug and turn the key. You can also try to duplicate your test in the dark as well. I keep a coil tester in the tool chest for occasions like this.

View attachment 157567

Russ989

Russ989

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I used a spark tester to confirm, the problem was the coil.
I replaced it and now works perfect.
Thanks for your help
Awesome, glad she’s going again!

Reactions: Mudwing
A

Alex1nonly

Sep 23, 2019
Florida
Ownership

1. 700-4
Hi. Welcome to the forum.
I'm not quite sure myself.

You sure it has no spark. Did you not see. How about touching for spark. It want kill you. Lol.

I apologize for the late reply. I checked spark while on the trail and again with a tester when I got it home. The wires feeding the coil one had power the other not.
The problem was the coil, I got a new one and it fired up right away.
Thanks for your help

Not too many report of lost spark.

Check any connectors you can.
Check grounds.
Check computer.
Has been a few stator issues.

I worked in a 700 today that a mouse ate some wires.

Any flashing lights on the display?

Ok. Maybe someone else has a idea.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!