P500 Pioneer Information

S

Stinky

Feb 25, 2023
Whitewater, CO
Ownership

1. Do not currently own

2. Looking to buy
I am thinking about buying a 500 or 520 Pioneer and am collecting information.

I am sticking w/the 50" wide models.

The Honda website absolutely sucks. For example, according to Honda, it has an automatic clutch w/an automatic transmission. Automatic transmissions, by definition have a Torque Converter and no clutch. The website doesn't even have a picture of the motor, or any information on the motor. One might assume, that it has an OHC....but, come to find out it is a pushrod motor, or is it?

What kind of transmission does it have? Most of the information, on the website says automatic, or paddle-shift.

How many valves does it have? Is it a Hemi?

It appears that the differentials don't lock....dat tru?

Electric Power Steering is an option?

Are the 500 and 520s the same basic engine w/dif Bore?

What sort of HP and Tq #'s do those motors have?

I went by the local Honda dealer/stealer and they didn't appear to have one....and they didn't have anybody that had the time to bother me (try to help me). Are they a special order item?

Mopower58

Mopower58

CST is the Best!
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 10, 2017
Crystal Springs,Ms.
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I am thinking about buying a 500 or 520 Pioneer and am collecting information.

I am sticking w/the 50" wide models.

The Honda website absolutely sucks. For example, according to Honda, it has an automatic clutch w/an automatic transmission. Automatic transmissions, by definition have a Torque Converter and no clutch. The website doesn't even have a picture of the motor, or any information on the motor. One might assume, that it has an OHC....but, come to find out it is a pushrod motor, or is it?

What kind of transmission does it have? Most of the information, on the website says automatic, or paddle-shift.

How many valves does it have? Is it a Hemi?

It appears that the differentials don't lock....dat tru?

Electric Power Steering is an option?

Are the 500 and 520s the same basic engine w/dif Bore?

What sort of HP and Tq #'s do those motors have?

I went by the local Honda dealer/stealer and they didn't appear to have one....and they didn't have anybody that had the time to bother me (try to help me). Are they a special order item?
Welcome from Mississippi. For all those technical questions maybe @906UP or @trigger can help you. Some people don't care about all that stuff, they just ride.
#NTC

NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
You can turn the 500 motor into a 520 with some work. If HP is a deciding factor for you then the P5’s are not the machines for you. ESP is only available aftermarket but the units work well. Rear diff is always locked. Front diff is open. Classic 3 wheel drive in that regard. Torq locker stepped up and you can put a ratcheting locker in the front though if you like. There is an automatic mode to the transmission. It is also a paddle shift manual. There is no clutch pedal. If you are familiar with the Foreman’s it’s basically the same Motor/Transmission setup.

906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
Welcome from Mississippi. For all those technical questions maybe @906UP or @trigger can help you. Some people don't care about all that stuff, they just ride.
#NTC
I'm not really sure if this guy has legitimate question or is just b1tching about the Honda website

NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'm not really sure if this guy has legitimate question or is just b1tching about the Honda website
I thought about just saying red is the fastest color to try to help.

Reactions: Backwoods
Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
Welcome. And will add the aftermarket Electric Power Steering units and Torq Master front locker work great. Several good how-to install posts here if interested.

2017 P500 has been bullet proof, and its geared transmission has excellent engine braking on down hills, but requires lower gears and crawling speed for hill climbing. Use the manual paddle shift transmission mode on hilly trails and auto mode for smoother terrain. No transmission complaints with pulling power for chores around the property.

lee

lee

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 4, 2013
Springfield Ohio
Ownership

1. 500
The P5 range uses an ATV engine/transmission.
The transmission has a centrifugal clutch to get started - this is the same as any utility ATV from Honda.
Then it uses an electric shift motor to change gears.
On the Honda ATVs there is a shift button on the handle bar to change gears.
On the P5 there are paddles to shift manually or the computer will shift for you in auto mode.
If you want more information on the shift mechanism it starts to get a little technical.

So, the engine drives through a (basically) manual transmission with discreet gear ratios.
In auto mode it sort of clunks it's way through the gears.
It's not what I would call refined by any means but it gets the job done and it seams to be pretty bullet proof.

The other option from other manufacturers is a rubber belt CVT that has high engine rpm and needs replaced (in my experiance the belt needs replaced trail side, not in my heated shop).

Edit: and yes, the honda web site dose suck.

Last edited:
lee

lee

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 4, 2013
Springfield Ohio
Ownership

1. 500

Sorry, I'm picking and choosing what questions to answer.
The P5s are not a special order.
My local mega powersports steelership has Polaris and Kawasaki SxS with incentives now.
But they only had a few honda ATVs, no SxS.
This seams to be the current condition with honda.
They are still having major supply issues.

My recommendation would be to make a list of dealers you would be willing to drive to, say 1/2 a days drive.
Then start calling them on a regular basis until one says they have one in stock.
If they have a list you could sign up but I really doubt they can "order' one in the sense of actually ordering one.
You may need to use a credit card to hold the unit until you get there.
And the smoking deals are nonexistent right now.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!