Pioneer questions

Pioneermack

Pioneermack

Feb 27, 2021
Bethany SC
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Got my hands on a p1k-5 last Friday. Got a great deal (I think) on a deluxe model 2016 with 2200 miles and a 3 year old aluminum trailer all for 16k. Also came with a set of aftermarket wheels and tires. Machine is super clean, the people who owned it were retired and only used it on the paved roads around their cabin. I know this is more or less true because there isn’t a scratch on the frame of the machine anywhere. My question is, is there any maintenance that I should pay special attention to since it was more than likely driven at higher speeds? Clutches, wheel bearings trans parts etc? New to the sxs world and any advice is helpful.

P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I think the most important thing you can do when getting a used machine is to make sure your shifters are properly adjusted.

Any issues here lead to problems in low and reverse gears.

Do the rear diff shift box adjustment with both wheels in the air and hand-turning the tires to assure smooth engagement / disengagement of the lockers. The service manual method of adjusting to alignment marks is insufficient here.

Make sure your P-R-N-H-L shifter centers nice and evenly around Neutral per the service manual.

Make sure you go to full stop and idle between shifts!

I highly recommend a $40 wheel bearing greaser for regular maintenance. And check your brake pads, go ahead and buy your next set, they don't last all that long.

H

HondaTech

Check recall status, there are several. If you get me the VIN, i can find out for you. I can also see if the clutch update has been done.

Also check for the enlarged drains in the seat rails. They'll help keep water out of the fuel tank and sub trans.

Pioneermack

Pioneermack

Feb 27, 2021
Bethany SC
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thank y’all for the advice! The vin is 1HFVE0426G4003979. The previous owner told me they’d had the two recalls that they were aware of fixed at their local dealership. I think it was something to do with the clutches and the cabin heat issue. I actually just ordered a wheel bearing grease tool last night, when I grease them I’ll go ahead and look at the brake pads

Ridinfool

Ridinfool

NTC’ s special Ed student of the year
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Mar 20, 2020
Western North Carolina
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Check to see if the vent lines have been extended if not you may want to do that especially if you will be trail riding, it’s a simple task only takes a couple of hours maybe, (depends on how much beer you drink in the process) and it’s good insurance. Congrats on the new ride and welcome from the mountains of WNC.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Welcome from the once great state of Colorado. :cool:

If you don't have the maintenance records, I'd change the diffs, sub trans and engine oil/filters.

This is a Talon skid but drain locations are the same.

Last edited:
advertisement
Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Welcome from the Strechen Gretchen State of Michigan!
For those of you in Reo Linda that's our Governor.

Nice Rig! White might be the fastest but Army Green is the badist!:cool:

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!