Pioneer voltage question

alexwolfe12

alexwolfe12

Dec 12, 2021
Waterloo, IL
Ownership

1. 700-4
Hey guys, just got a 2021 700-4 in and have a question regarding the voltage while running accessories. I have a volt meter and it is running about 14.2v at idle. With all of my light bars running and with the stock headlights on i am getting about 12.7v. 13ishv without stock headlights on at idle. I will be using this machine to plow snow here in Southern Illinois and do not have a dual battery setup yet. When I use my winch to raise and lower plow I get a low voltage message on volt meter display. Is 12.7v enough to keep this thing running along with intermittent plow raising and lowering? I will never be using any of my accessories without the motor running which is why i didn't start with a dual battery setup. Thanks for your guys help in advance.

JMynes

JMynes

Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2021
Augusta, Maine
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I’m pretty sure you’re not going to be plowing at an idle. Increased RPM should result in more electrons available to keep your lights on and battery charged.

Mark in Northern Iowa

Mark in Northern Iowa

Club Contributor
Oct 20, 2021
Floyd County, Iowa
kramnella.wixsite.com
Ownership

1. 1000-3
If your 700 is anything like my 1000, then the answer is a big, NO.
A single battery will not keep enough charge to plow snow for very long.
Eventually, the battery will run down enough that the transmission will start slipping, or will not go into gear. It is a common problem.
In spring I will install a dual battery system, and hook the winch up to the auxiliary battery.
Until then, I have a 1000 cca battery sitting on the floor.
I have cables running to the main battery, through the dash, hooked up in parallel. No more problem.
After plowing, I hook up a trickle charger and it is all ready for the next snow storm.
Edit to add
Here are a few quotes from another forum
"I have had an issue while I’m plowing and I try to lift the plow up as I’m approaching a hill or snow bank the min I press up the bike over revs making it difficult to push the snow up and over I’m using a warn plow on my 2016 1000-5."
"2017 Pioneer 500, same exact thing. Haven't had any issues running it normally, but with the plow and after 20-30 minutes of plowing a gravel driveway it completely fails to shift."
"My 2015 500, after 10 or so Fwd / Rev operations during snow plowing the forward shift becomes intermittent and finally won’t go into 1st gear at all. No trouble on the reverse gear. After a shut down period of 15 to 30 minutes shifting is again normal for a few minutes and then it fails to go into low gear."
Have a good day

Last edited:
Buggyman

Buggyman

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 3, 2020
ne. ohio
Ownership

1. 700-2
I don't have a problem without dual batteries and I'm up against the house or a fence so I'm not running very fast. also don't raise the plow any farther than necessary. seen the low voltage 1time when it was really cold out. the other thing is I have enough light around that for the most part I don't run the light bars a lot.

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
If you're running enough accessories to pull more than the stator can supply, you'll quickly wear that one small battery down. Add a second and keep it all on a trickle charger/battery maintainer when not plowing. As long as your not needing to plow for hours on end, you should be OK.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!