Please help me identify this

T

TacoFi3nd

Jul 7, 2017
AZ
Ownership

1. 700-4
Makes a clicking noise when starting and won’t start. Any help is appreciated!

AF1A61C0 A386 4409 93F3 5DA497F4AB32

906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
Use a test light, check for power at the starter while someone turns the key to start, if you have power the solenoid is good and the starter is bad, no power to the starter is a bad solenoid. You did check to make sure the battery is charged.....right?

T

TacoFi3nd

Jul 7, 2017
AZ
Ownership

1. 700-4
Use a test light, check for power at the starter while someone turns the key to start, if you have power the solenoid is good and the starter is bad, no power to the starter is a bad solenoid. You did check to make sure the battery is charged.....right?
Battery charged check. It does start if I have jumper cables (trickle charge) so I’m thinking solenoid.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
A clicking solenoid usually means the battery is to too weak to turn the engine over. It's possible to read 12 + volts on a VM and not have enough amps to start. Any auto parts store can do a load test for you.

T

TacoFi3nd

Jul 7, 2017
AZ
Ownership

1. 700-4
The reason I ask again is this was happening with the old battery so I bought a new one thinking it was the battery. Same issue.

R

Rooster1554

Supporting Member
Mar 30, 2019
South Carolina
Ownership

1. 700-2
Kinda new to the forum, but this is what I'd do. Note: this is not safe by today's standards.
Start with a FULLY CHARGED (12.8V or better) battery. Try to start with the switch. If the solenoid clicks but doesn't spin the starter, leave the key in the run position and use a cheap box end wrench (the arc will leave a mark or 2) and bridge across the 2 largest terminals. They're usually copper coated and easy to find. Your pic already shows one exposed. If the starter engages, most likely a bad solenoid. If it doesn't, bad battery or connection. If you have a voltmeter, and you can measure across the battery terminals while bridging the solenoid, a drop of more than 2 volts indicates a bad battery. Remember, a battery can have a bad cell inside and still show 12V under little or no load. If the solenoid is bridged and voltage drops big time, almost certainly a battery problem.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
The reason I ask again is this was happening with the old battery so I bought a new one thinking it was the battery. Same issue.
Since it's done this with two batteries, make sure all heavy gauge wire ends are tight - typically two on the battery (but you just changed that), two at the soleniod, one on the starter and the chassis end of the ground battery cable. You might have a loose connection in the high amp starting circuit.

Remi's right, 16 volts ain't right. When I had one battery, it showed 14.4 volts when running (all day). When I added a second battery, that dropped to 13.8 volts running but that's with a different voltmeter (I switched to a dual vm). Standing voltage (not running) is 12.7

P

Peterhope

Dec 5, 2021
Bc
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Ok thanks. The solenoid was cheap enough so I ordered one. When I get it I’ll check all connections again upon installation. Thank you all for the advice!
From experience!!!
The solenoid can click but not make contact inside because the contacts are worn or burnt from normal use. Using a wrench to cross the solenoid terminals works but beware it make lots of sparks and put burn marks on the wrench but it will confirm a bad solenoid. Again from experience.
solenoids are cheap and I bet that’s your problem. Good luck.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!