Polaris General

H

hoggr9

Sep 10, 2014
Xenia, IL
Ownership

1. 500
Well I always said that I would never own a P.O.S. Polaris...but I looked at a GEneral today.
And I must say that I was fairly impressed by a lot of the features and well thought out design.
I think for the average joe this type of machine is a great idea...work and play..
Did not drive it so I cannot comment on the noise,performance,ride quality, etc.
But I does appear to be fairly well made. and definitely well thought out...
I personally think that Honda had better take a look...
Give me a 50-58 inch version of the General without the rubber band drive system.
I would be very interested....
Like I said I think the General and the Yamaha Wolverine R-spec are a great idea.
Now with having said all that..I have not had a chance to see the P1K in person but I know that it is too BIG for my normal uses...I am pretty happy with my P5 but it is underpowered, elec shifting on mine has been
an ongoing issue since new..when it does work correctly it is noisy and jerky.
And for what the "Honda" accy's cost I am pretty disappointed with the fit..
Design the next one with the intent of it having a cab not scab a cab onto it later.
And give the P5 some storage....that big area behind the dash if for a glove box...duh
Curious to see what the next version of P5 is and also what may be coming next from Big red.
Come on Honda don't disappoint.

Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I love the ideas as well, I got to drive the wolverine and was really impressed with the ride and power was enough for me. You can get the base one under 10. Love the cockpit. But it needs taller doors

Code54

Code54

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 31, 2015
Hurricane West Virginia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
Polaris has some good points - I had a RZR and loved the ride and the acceleration. The overall quality seemed lacking however but they have some great designs

blackdog2086

blackdog2086

Jul 31, 2015
I'd settle for some drain plugs in the floor of my 1000-5. Is that really too much to ask for?

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I'd settle for some drain plugs in the floor of my 1000-5. Is that really too much to ask for?

I got in some deep water and was really surprised how quickly it drained.

There's a large gap under the door all the way across.

Reactions: JACKAL
joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I think the Polaris General is the answer to the Pioneer. PoPo fans can thank Honda for that.

Reactions: bobbyhill
JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Well I always said that I would never own a P.O.S. Polaris...but I looked at a GEneral today.
And I must say that I was fairly impressed by a lot of the features and well thought out design.
I think for the average joe this type of machine is a great idea...work and play..
Did not drive it so I cannot comment on the noise,performance,ride quality, etc.
But I does appear to be fairly well made. and definitely well thought out...
I personally think that Honda had better take a look...
Give me a 50-58 inch version of the General without the rubber band drive system.
I would be very interested....
Like I said I think the General and the Yamaha Wolverine R-spec are a great idea.
Now with having said all that..I have not had a chance to see the P1K in person but I know that it is too BIG for my normal uses...I am pretty happy with my P5 but it is underpowered, elec shifting on mine has been
an ongoing issue since new..when it does work correctly it is noisy and jerky.
And for what the "Honda" accy's cost I am pretty disappointed with the fit..
Design the next one with the intent of it having a cab not scab a cab onto it later.
And give the P5 some storage....that big area behind the dash if for a glove box...duh
Curious to see what the next version of P5 is and also what may be coming next from Big red.
Come on Honda don't disappoint.

The P1K "Looks" a lot bigger than it feels when you drive it. I have both and the ride and turning radius on the P1K vs. the P5 surprised me pleasantly. The wheelbase on the P1K is only 7" longer and the overall length is 14" longer, but yet can haul 5 people quickly and comfortably. The P1K handles very well on the trail and is impressively nimble through the trees even after coming off my P5. I like my P5 and I love my P1K and I will never consider a CVT transmission again. I grant you there are some nice design features Honda could integrate for next to nothing as far as storage space goes but didn't however it is a minor thing that they can improve with customer feedback.

Here are my two side by side for comparison:

20160102 154829 20160102 154808

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
I got in some deep water and was really surprised how quickly it drained.

There's a large gap under the door all the way across.

No kidding, I did some deep creek crossings and the water ran right out, if you need drain holes you are still submerged and the point is moot. I even wash mine out without opening the doors and the water and derbis gets blown right out of the opening between the door and floor.

Reactions: joeymt33
Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I think the Polaris General is the answer to the Pioneer. PoPo fans can thank Honda for that.
I think it's geared twords commanders and the wolverine, I'm sure it's quite a bit sportier than the Hondas still. Big red will come out with a 1000 that's more sport than utility eventually.

Reactions: hondarock
H

hoggr9

Sep 10, 2014
Xenia, IL
Ownership

1. 500
Not sure I even need a 1Kcc sport machine...gimme a 700cc motor maybe DCT with a top speed of maybe 50-55MPH
Add some storage and for god sakes make the accessories fit...
Polaris lock and ride is a slick setup....
Granted they have had a few years to work on the goodies...Come on BIG RED..
Don't get me wrong I don't mean to sound like I am ragging on Honda..i am overall pretty satisfied with my P5.
But a few small tweaks would make a big difference.

advertisement
Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
How about some suspension?

H

hondabob

Lifetime Member
May 14, 2013
Prescott Valley, AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
We may get the Sport Models this year. A single cylinder model and a couple 1000cc models. I like the General too but after owning 3 Polaris models the build quality is awful and it has some serious design problems with a cheap belt drive.

Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
We may get the Sport Models this year. A single cylinder model and a couple 1000cc models. I like the General too but after owning 3 Polaris models the build quality is awful and it has some serious design problems with a cheap belt drive.
hopefully a 700 h.o. that has interchangable parts with our 700s now

Reactions: Tflynn and joeymt33
Tot

Tot

Lifetime Member
Dec 14, 2015
Des Arc, Arkansas
The General is geared to compete with the Commander in the utility/sport category. Personally I like the looks and lay out of the General over my Commander. I never got to drive one, but I did look at one in person. The new Defenders from Can Am are freaking sweet, but it comes down to the transmission. I really like the DCT in the Hondas over the CVT

ksss

ksss

Jul 14, 2013

I think your kidding yourself. If you consider when then the General was first on the drawing board it was well before the Honda 1000 became public. Until Honda starts selling enough machines to drive the direction of the industry, Polaris could care less. Polaris is not providing an answer to the P1, Polaris sells considerably more SXS machines than Honda. I would guess it is at least 5 to 1 if it is that close.

Now Honda and Yamahas presence I think may get their attention on build quality as it concerns Polaris. It is Honda's only Ace in the hole in this market currently as I see it.

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
So the General was on the drawing board before the P1000 became public? Well, the P1000 was on a drawing board before it became public too.

bobbyhill

bobbyhill

Pay to Play and I'm broke all around!
Junior Moderator
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Apr 8, 2015
Smithfield, VA
Ownership

1. 700-4
What do vegans and Polaris have in common?

ThYKEOVLJ9 ThYKEOVLJ9

Reactions: Tot
H

hondabob

Lifetime Member
May 14, 2013
Prescott Valley, AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
The General has the air intakes up under the hood, about time. The build quality is awful and Polaris uses way too many poor quality parts. The Pioneer's are hurting Polaris sales in a big way and Polaris knows the sport Hondas will further reduce their sales. Most RZR owners just hate the cheap belt drive and all the low mileage failures. Try driving a Polaris 10,000 miles. The Can-Am Defender will hurt Polaris sales too.

advertisement