Polish Style Holiday Bread Machine Bread Recipe

DaddyDubbs

DaddyDubbs

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2016
Lee County Alabama, from Southern Michigan
Ownership

1. 500
Growing up in Jackson County Michigan I was fortunate to get delicious Polish holiday bread at Easter and Christmas baked by the ladies of St. Stanislaus Kostka. I understand they are making bread again this year, and if you can get the real deal, by all means do.
A few years ago I found this bread machine recipe which is very close in taste and texture.
A word of caution if you decide to make it, during the knead cycle this bread does not act like normal bread, instead it appears somewhat soupy like it needs more flour, DO NOT add more flour.
Notes in parentheses are my own; I prefer baking by weight so I have added equivalents

Bread Machine Easter Bread *** cdkitchen.com
Placek

Ingredients:
1 Cup - Whole Milk, warmed
2 Eggs, lightly beaten
3 Tbsp (42.4g) - Butter, melted
1/2 Cup (99g) - Granulated Sugar
1 tsp - Salt
3 Cups (360g) - Bread Flour
1 Pkg (2.25 tsp/7g) - Dry Active Yeast (Not Fast Rise or Bread Machine Yeast)
2/3 Cup - Raisins, optional

Preparation:
01 - Combine the ingredients in a bread machine as directed by the machine manufacturer.
Do not use a delay start setting.
(I whisk together the milk, eggs and butter before pouring into bread machine)
Set the machine to basic white bread with a light crust. (I use medium crust setting)
02 - When the bread has finished the baking cycle, remove the pan from the machine and let the bread cool in the pan for 5 minutes.
Remove the bread from the pan and let cool completely on a wire rack before slicing or storing in an airtight container. IMG 5802
The kneed cycle - notice how loose the dough is
IMG 5807IMG 5808

ODAMO

ODAMO

Oct 12, 2018
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
As coicidence would have it, I'm sitting here eating some homemade Polish rye , toasted with butter and strawberry jam as I write. My wife has been dabbling in bread making lately.
Dziekuje Ci for the recipe, I will pass it along.
I grew up in Slavic Villiage when it was still a Polish neighborhood, Now its just the hood.

DaddyDubbs

DaddyDubbs

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2016
Lee County Alabama, from Southern Michigan
Ownership

1. 500
As coicidence would have it, I'm sitting here eating some homemade Polish rye , toasted with butter and strawberry jam as I write. My wife has been dabbling in bread making lately.
Dziekuje Ci for the recipe, I will pass it along.
I grew up in Slavic Villiage when it was still a Polish neighborhood, Now its just the hood.
In the bread machine pan you can see it looks more like cake batter than bread dough, but it turns out like a bread. Not quite as sweet as a babka. Hope you like it.

Reactions: stobiadas
stobiadas

stobiadas

Apr 12, 2021
K0E1X0
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Something like „drożdżówka” which translates to yeast cake. My mother still makes it around holidays. When I was around 7 or 8 years old back I Poland, I remember my grandmother kneading bread dough by hand in a wooden basin. She would bake around 12 to 14 loaves that were around 1 foot wide by 2 feet long. There was enough bread for her house and neighbours for 2 weeks. This pretty much took all day and dough would be allowed to rise 3 times under a goose feather blanket. Pounded down by hand in between. Baked in wood fired clay lined oven.
I can still taste it to this day….served with fresh cream and sugar. Those were great simple times, when life consisted of hard honest work and great times with family.

stobiadas

stobiadas

Apr 12, 2021
K0E1X0
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Growing up in Jackson County Michigan I was fortunate to get delicious Polish holiday bread at Easter and Christmas baked by the ladies of St. Stanislaus Kostka. I understand they are making bread again this year, and if you can get the real deal, by all means do.
A few years ago I found this bread machine recipe which is very close in taste and texture.
A word of caution if you decide to make it, during the knead cycle this bread does not act like normal bread, instead it appears somewhat soupy like it needs more flour, DO NOT add more flour.
Notes in parentheses are my own; I prefer baking by weight so I have added equivalents

Bread Machine Easter Bread *** cdkitchen.com
Placek

Ingredients:
1 Cup - Whole Milk, warmed
2 Eggs, lightly beaten
3 Tbsp (42.4g) - Butter, melted
1/2 Cup (99g) - Granulated Sugar
1 tsp - Salt
3 Cups (360g) - Bread Flour
1 Pkg (2.25 tsp/7g) - Dry Active Yeast (Not Fast Rise or Bread Machine Yeast)
2/3 Cup - Raisins, optional

Preparation:
01 - Combine the ingredients in a bread machine as directed by the machine manufacturer.
Do not use a delay start setting.
(I whisk together the milk, eggs and butter before pouring into bread machine)
Set the machine to basic white bread with a light crust. (I use medium crust setting)
02 - When the bread has finished the baking cycle, remove the pan from the machine and let the bread cool in the pan for 5 minutes.
Remove the bread from the pan and let cool completely on a wire rack before slicing or storing in an airtight container.View attachment 328274
The kneed cycle - notice how loose the dough is
View attachment 328275View attachment 328276
Placek translates to cake more than bread

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!