P1000 Poll: When engine running, my P1000 shifter is harder to shift into LOW than other gears

When engine running, my P1000 shifter is harder to shift into LOW than other gears

• Yes

Votes: 10 55.6%
  • No

Votes: 8 44.4%

• Total voters
A

AZdonW

Sep 6, 2020
Arizona
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
So I've owned my 2020 P1000 for only a couple of weeks and have taken it for only one trip. But I noticed it is difficult to move the shifter into LOW when the engine is running (but not when engine is off). In fact, after my trip, I off loaded the Honda and noticed it was also hard to move the shifter from Neutral to High and then Reverse as well. I then ran the clutch adjust sequence that I found on this forum, and now all gears enter easy except for LOW. Doing a forum search, it appears that this may be a known issue with the P1000 with no Honda sanctioned fix. In fact, the Talon may have the issue worse, and a member here has created a gated shifter for Talons that he claims fixes the problem. I created this poll to see what percentage of P1000s appear to have the issue.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
My Talon ground twice when shifting into Low range in 1500 miles, both times it was on cold starts (if 80* at the trailhead can be considered cold on one of those occurrences). So I don't use Low until I can warm it up 'as much as possible', sometimes you just can't. Another help it to shift into Low from a slow roll, this helps align the shift dogs, which is where the problem is happening.

I've noticed several times that the shifter seems bound up - when that happens all I have to do is let off the brake and it slips right into gear. That's always been the problem in that case.

Reactions: TxDoc and Isaiah
A

AZdonW

Sep 6, 2020
Arizona
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
My Talon ground twice when shifting into Low range in 1500 miles, both times it was on cold starts (if 80* at the trailhead can be considered cold on one of those occurrences). So I don't use Low until I can warm it up 'as much as possible', sometimes you just can't. Another help it to shift into Low from a slow roll, this helps align the shift dogs, which is where the problem is happening.

I've noticed several times that the shifter seems bound up - when that happens all I have to do is let off the brake and it slips right into gear. That's always been the problem in that case.
Thanks for your input. With mine, it doesn't matter if it's hot or cold.

Reactions: TxDoc and Isaiah
CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Thanks for your input. With mine, it doesn't matter if it's hot or cold.
It might break in but I don't blame you for jumping right on top of this. It seems too new but a reinitialization might help.

Make sure it's warmed up -

Reactions: Haldog77 and Isaiah
Ohio4x4

Ohio4x4

I brought the dishwasher
Lifetime Member
Aug 23, 2018
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Mine is hard to get into low. I'll have to check to see for sure if its easier when the engine is off. I didn't think much of it until I was driving @100Acre 's machine out of the woods Saturday. His was much easier to shift into any gear. I'm going to take mine apart for service and search for a cable with debris or damage causing the hard shift.

Isaiah

Isaiah

Dec 30, 2019
Altamont TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Mine has done it for 2yrs i just tap the throttle a little bit and it goes right in. Some times it doesn't do it, but most of the time it does

Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Mine did that. Clutches were dragging. A clutch relearn helped alot with it

Reactions: Isaiah and CID
A

AZdonW

Sep 6, 2020
Arizona
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
It might break in but I don't blame you for jumping right on top of this. It seems too new but a reinitialization might help.

Make sure it's warmed up -
That's the sequence I was talking about that helped with other gears...except for LOW.

Reactions: CID and Isaiah
William

William

If you ain’t first, you’re last...
Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014
Flowood MS
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I picked yes, but I just pay attention more when swapping to low. I started off when it was too cold and had to stop a few feet out. Put it in park to move a limb, when I put it back in low, I had rapid light grinding for a few seconds... Pi$$ed me off... I now warm it up and don’t use low until it’s good and warmed up...

Reactions: TripleB and Isaiah
advertisement
A

AZdonW

Sep 6, 2020
Arizona
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Mine has done it for 2yrs i just tap the throttle a little bit and it goes right in. Some times it doesn't do it, but most of the time it does
That's worse than mine. Mine just feels like I'm moving over a "threshold" as I hammer it over into gear. It always goes in gear, and the indicator shows Low.

Reactions: Isaiah
MuskyHunter

MuskyHunter

Sep 2, 2020
Indiana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Had that issue and adjust the shift cable. I have not had the issue since.

Reactions: Isaiah
MuskyHunter

MuskyHunter

Sep 2, 2020
Indiana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
That's very helpful. Was the issue only with LOW gear?
That's very helpful. Was the issue only with LOW gear?

Yes it was hard to pull into low. What caused me to adjust it was shifting into reverse. Sometimes it would pop when I first tried to back up. I adjusted to fix the reverse issue and it fixed the low issue also.

You can check the adjustment by shifting into N when it’s not running. Check the play in the shifter. It should be equal between the top and bottom of the gate. If it’s not it’s likely you have the same problem I did. The adjuster for that is under the main battery.

Last edited:
A

AZdonW

Sep 6, 2020
Arizona
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Yes it was hard to pull into low. What caused me to adjust it was shifting into reverse. Sometimes it would pop when I first tried to back up. I adjusted to fix the reverse issue and it fixed the low issue also.

You can check the adjustment by shifting into N when it’s not running. Check the play in the shifter. It should be equal between the top and bottom of the gate. If it’s not it’s likely you have the same problem I did. The adjuster for that is under the main battery.
I checked the play at neutral, and it is equal :-(

Reactions: MuskyHunter

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!