Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
At this point I am not sure about anything. The picture does make it look like the toe is a little out, but in person I didn't notice that. I am guessing that since the steering wheel is now off that something is bent, just can't see what is actually bent. Everything looks straight. I am going to try and clean it up some more this evening and wash it well. Maybe something will show.

To be honest, I can't say 100% that the steering wheel was square to begin with, I just got paranoid after seeing the dent in the frame and now looking at everything. I will try to get some more pictures as well.

Would a hard hit to the front be able to mess the alignment up. I assume that when I hit the rock that it slammed the front wheels pretty hard as well. May have even been something else, the trail was nothing but rocks and we rode the creek beds forever. Rocks everywhere under the water.

I will have to say, this thing is a tank for taking the abuse, and I will not be going on that trail ever again. Climbs like a beast also!

Did you check the tie rods and see if one or both are bent? They are the weak link made to bend in a hard hit vs. A arms or frame.

20180322 140709

Russ989

Russ989

Land of the free because of the Brave! 🇺🇸
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
At this point I am not sure about anything. The picture does make it look like the toe is a little out, but in person I didn't notice that. I am guessing that since the steering wheel is now off that something is bent, just can't see what is actually bent. Everything looks straight. I am going to try and clean it up some more this evening and wash it well. Maybe something will show.

To be honest, I can't say 100% that the steering wheel was square to begin with, I just got paranoid after seeing the dent in the frame and now looking at everything. I will try to get some more pictures as well.

Would a hard hit to the front be able to mess the alignment up. I assume that when I hit the rock that it slammed the front wheels pretty hard as well. May have even been something else, the trail was nothing but rocks and we rode the creek beds forever. Rocks everywhere under the water.

I will have to say, this thing is a tank for taking the abuse, and I will not be going on that trail ever again. Climbs like a beast also!
It doesn’t look like a toe in/out problem to me, more like positive camber on the drivers side. Keep in mind that front skid is attached to the frame and when it changed shape it started putting some pressure on the front of your frame. Kinda hard to tell from the pics but that’s what I see.

Last edited:
B

bobbybog

Mar 2, 2018
WV
Ownership

1. 500
It doesn’t look like a toe in/out problem to me, more like positive camber on the drivers side. Keep in mind that front skid is attached to the frame and when it changed shape it started putting some pressure on the front of your frame. Kinda hard to tell from the pics but that’s what I see.

So how do I correct this? Can this be adjusted or is something just bent?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

B

bobbybog

Mar 2, 2018
WV
Ownership

1. 500
Did you check the tie rods and see if one or both are bent? They are the weak link made to bend in a hard hit vs. A arms or frame.

View attachment 72337

I will check the tie rods. Do I have to remove them to see? I haven’t pulled anything yet. Was hoping I could adjust something to correct the issues.

Russ989

Russ989

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I will check the tie rods. Do I have to remove them to see? I haven’t pulled anything yet. Was hoping I could adjust something to correct the issues.

This is a long shot without seeing it in person but follow me for a second. It’s possible when your front skid took the hit it pulled the front of the frame in a touch. If this happened it could have created negative camber on the bottom and positive on the top. This is possible since your lower arm is connected to that portion of the frame. Not sure that’s what it is but it’s somewhere to start. Like I said in an earlier post, put the p5 on jack stands and start measuring.

B

bobbybog

Mar 2, 2018
WV
Ownership

1. 500
This is a long shot without seeing it in person but follow me for a second. It’s possible when your front skid took the hit it pulled the front of the frame in a touch. If this happened it could have created negative camber on the bottom and positive on the top. This is possible since your lower arm is connected to that portion of the frame. Not sure that’s what it is but it’s somewhere to start. Like I said in an earlier post, put the p5 on jack stands and start measuring.

I will gladly start measuring. Can you give me some insight as to what I should be measuring and how to go about measuring?

TeamCheap

TeamCheap

Mar 10, 2018
southeast michigan
Ownership

1. 500

2. Other Brand
This sort of makes me want to go measure mine up before I really get out there on it so I have a baseline set of measurements.

Yes I do believe that's what I'll do when I get a chance.

B

bobbybog

Mar 2, 2018
WV
Ownership

1. 500
Can anyone give me some instruction on how to measure? I am assuming your meaning measure the frame to make sure it is all square, but I am not really sure how to go about doing that.

LandPioneer

LandPioneer

Lifetime Member
Aug 22, 2016
Lebanon TN
Ownership

1. 700-4
Check it over real good. If you can't find anything re-align and go. I tore one of the top a-arm mounts from the frame on mine. I re-welded, re-aligned, and haven't had a problem since.

Dragon21

Dragon21

In my defense, I was left unsupervised
Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I agree with checking the tie rods. sounds a lot like what happens when one of them bends

Russ989

Russ989

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I will gladly start measuring. Can you give me some insight as to what I should be measuring and how to go about measuring?
When you put it on jack stands, make sure they are behind your front wheels, then measure from the floor to the bottom of the front of the frame to make sure it’s level and then measure from the frame to the inside lip where your wheel and tire come together. Check your tie-rod as well.

Last edited:
Gem99Ultra

Gem99Ultra

Dec 29, 2015
Warm Springs, GA
I agree with checking the tie rods. sounds a lot like what happens when one of them bends

Absolutely. I've bent tie rods before with the same results he's seeing. Straightening one is next to impossible. IMHO, I'd simply buy another one to replace the bent one.

Gator

Gator

The Most Unknown Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 16, 2015
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 700-2
Although your photo looks like you have more Camber than Toe, I'm with @JACKAL and @Gem99Ultra .
Check your tie-rod. Check the jam nut on the tie-rod. Some of us found them to be lose from the factory.
Set the steering wheel back straight (like it was before the impact) then look at the wheels.

D

Deleted member 3748

Glad you got it fixed. I read through all of this to make sure I didn't repeat what someone already said. My steering wheel has been off center since day 1. I just ignore it. :)

B

bobbybog

Mar 2, 2018
WV
Ownership

1. 500
Yeah, even after replacing tie rod the steering wheel was still off a little. Just pop off cap and remove bolt. Realign the steering wheel and tighten back. All straight now.

NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Glad to hear it was something replaceable rather than a tweaked frame.

H

hondabob

Lifetime Member
May 14, 2013
Prescott Valley, AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
Check the upper A-arms for damage just outboard of the shocks. They may be bent slightly or cracked. Measure from axle to axle on both sides. They should be the same, compare it with a new one.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!