P1000m3 power drain

S

Smaine

Jan 28, 2016
Iowa
I did a search but didn't find this so hoping someone can help explain. I bought a new, but leftover, p1000-3 with all the dealer installed goodies including honda/warn winch. I only have a few hours on it but this weekend when trying to get around a spot slid off in a hole. Was mainly high centered so tried to winch out. winch didn't have enough pull to move me and the strange part was I couldn't use the wheels to help. Either the winch would work or the transmission would, but not at the same time. The wheels would spin freely until I tried to pull with the winch, then they would just stop and the engine would rev light the clutches were slipping. I would then let off the winch switch, and the tranny would engage. I assume from all I've read on this very helpful site, this is probably because of the electronic tranny, but still would think you should be able to use them both or the winch could at least pull me out. it wasn't in a high suction hole, mainly hard bottom. Is the battery possibly weak even though new? I will be looking at a second battery for the winch, so any ideas on the best one to use. I see most use the true brand isolation switches as well?

Reactions: sharp
sporttrac4x4

sporttrac4x4

Lifetime Member
Jan 7, 2016
ILL.
Ownership

1. Other Brand
You need to charge the battery and try it again. It should work just fine unless the battery is bad or not charged.

Reactions: sharp and Deluxe700
S

Smaine

Jan 28, 2016
Iowa
You need to charge the battery and try it again. It should work just fine unless the battery is bad or not charged.
Thanks for the reply, was thinking (and hoping) it was just a battery issue maybe being a leftover and sitting at the dealer. A new battery or two are on the list for this weekend.

Reactions: sharp
L

Logan

Feb 7, 2016
Canada
You need a second battery for winching. It's cheaper than burning clutches.

When winching the voltage drops and slips the clutch. Not good for things.

Install a second battery and isolate it from the factory battery.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

S

Smaine

Jan 28, 2016
Iowa
You need a second battery for winching. It's cheaper than burning clutches.

When winching the voltage drops and slips the clutch. Not good for things.

Install a second battery and isolate it from the factory battery.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kinda assumed as much but knew some guys on here would know for sure. Thanks for the reply!

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!