P1000 Power Steering

C

crazynut52

Sep 29, 2017
New York
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Is there a way to adjust the power steering assist? I have a 17 LE model and the power steering is weighted and heavy. I also rode a 16, and its power steering is very light and works great.

Reactions: CumminsPusher
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Is there a way to adjust the power steering assist? I have a 17 LE model and the power steering is weighted and heavy. I also rode a 16, and its power steering is very light and works great.
Welcome.
I would have assumed they were they same but could be wrong. Any chance you were comparing with 17 with lower pressure in tires or diff lock

Reactions: joeymt33
C

crazynut52

Sep 29, 2017
New York
Ownership

1. 1000-5
No... a friend has the 16 which I have driven a lot and now have 450 miles on mine- night and day difference on the power steering

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
No... a friend has the 16 which I have driven a lot and now have 450 miles on mine- night and day difference on the power steering
That's odd. @HondaTech anything on this?

lee

lee

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 4, 2013
Springfield Ohio
Ownership

1. 500
That seams strange, I would have thought they where the same.
It's not like you have the -LE in diff lock by accident...

Is it possible that the power steering is not working at all?
You might be able to confirm by unplugging it or pulling a fuse.
That doesn't help you fix it but at least you know its really broken.
I assume it's still under warranty...

J

Jimmy-AZ

Lifetime Member
May 9, 2017
Gold Canyon, AZ
Ownership

1. 1000-5

I have the 17 LE also and have no issues with my steering whatsoever in 6 months. Like Lee said unplug it and check the fuse. If it was the fuse and it does it again..... take it in under warranty.

BTW welcome to the club

H

HondaTech

Motor and EPS controller is same for all P1K. So i'd say there is an issue somewhere is the steering is noticeably different. I wouldn't think Honda would change the feel from one unit to the next.

I'd pull the fuse and see if that changes anything. Should be the large gray 40 amp square fuse under the hood, I think the LE has 2, i'm not 100% which is the PS. May also check under the drivers side overfender (plastic panel under door hinges) to see if the controller is plugged in.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!