P700 Power Sterring Issue

C

Carlton

Aug 25, 2018
AL
Ownership

1. 700-4
Power Sterring Issue. My power steering indicator on the dash keeps flickering on and off. I've noticed that the steering will stiffen up at times as well. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. 700-4 delux. New to the form. Thanks guys

swsebek

swsebek

Red,White And Blue Collar Soul
Lifetime Member
May 4, 2014
pa
Ownership

1. 700-4
Power Sterring Issue. My power steering indicator on the dash keeps flickering on and off. I've noticed that the steering will stiffen up at times as well. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. 700-4 delux. New to the form. Thanks guys
Sounds like the power is getting cut intermittently. Tighten all the connections under hood and at battery.and welcome to the forum

C

Carlton

Aug 25, 2018
AL
Ownership

1. 700-4
Sounds like the power is getting cut intermittently. Tighten all the connections under hood and at battery.and welcome to the forum
Are you talking about all the wire connectors or just the one to the power steering pump? Thanks

swsebek

swsebek

Lifetime Member
May 4, 2014
pa
Ownership

1. 700-4
Are you talking about all the wire connectors or just the one to the power steering pump? Thanks
Should be electric steering. Not like a car. Electric motor that has a control module on top. It sounds like one of the connections is loose.I would get dielectric grease and put on the connections.you have to unhook them and put dielectric grease on the plugs and rebook them back up.

Reactions: Deluxe700 and jinx
swsebek

swsebek

Lifetime Member
May 4, 2014
pa
Ownership

1. 700-4
I have added on power steering, there maybe something different with yours being stock power steering.but it definitely seems like the power is being interrupted. Maybe at fuse too

C

Carlton

Aug 25, 2018
AL
Ownership

1. 700-4
I have added on power steering, there maybe something different with yours being stock power steering.but it definitely seems like the power is being interrupted. Maybe at fuse too
I'll take a look at these things tomorrow. Thanks for the responses.

Reactions: swsebek
Deluxe700

Deluxe700

Lifetime Member
Jul 2, 2017
Central Arkansas
Ownership

1. 700-2
Let us know what you find out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

C

Carlton

Aug 25, 2018
AL
Ownership

1. 700-4
Let us know what you find out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Well I put the dielectric grease on the the power steering plug. When I first did this the problem went away the day of. However, a few days later out riding and the problem is back. Not sure what else to do. I hate to take it to a dealer if it's a simple fix

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
What other loads are you putting on the machine when it flickers? How old is your machine and its battery?
Did you check and clean the positive/ground connections at the battery?
Check and clean the main chassis ground from battery.
A friend has a 17 700-4 deluxe. His has power steering flickers as well in the winter when using his snow plow. I told him to change the way he pushes snow, activating his plow while turning is too much load on his factory battery. I am in the middle of talking him into a full size battery under the seat to help this issue.

Reactions: Deluxe700
C

Carlton

Aug 25, 2018
AL
Ownership

1. 700-4
What other loads are you putting on the machine when it flickers? How old is your machine and its battery?
A friend has a 17 700-4 deluxe. His has power steering flickers as well in the winter when using his snow plow. I told him to change the way he pushes snow, activating his plow while turning is too much load on his factory battery. I am in the middle of talking him into a full size battery under the seat to help this issue.
No loads are being put on. I checked the terminals and made sure everything was secure. The 700 was bought new last November. The main chassis ground location is that on right rear in front of rear tire on the frame? I'll have to check that.

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
No loads are being put on. I checked the terminals and made sure everything was secure. The 700 was bought new last November. The main chassis ground location is that on right rear in front of rear tire on the frame? I'll have to check that.
Honestly, I have no idea where the main chassis ground is on the 700.
If these don't help you issue, your battery might be failing. Should be easy enough to have load tested at any parts store.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5

I believe one of them is in front of a rear tire. It’s been a while so I’m not sure on which one I think it’s the right rear.

C

Carlton

Aug 25, 2018
AL
Ownership

1. 700-4
Got the battery tested and the battery was bad. Replaced it and as of now no issues whatsoever. Thanks for the help. Would have never thought it was the battery.

Reactions: dhcross61
D

dhcross61

Nov 28, 2017
ARKANSAS
Ownership

1. 500
Got the battery tested and the battery was bad. Replaced it and as of now no issues whatsoever. Thanks for the help. Would have never thought it was the battery.[/QUOTE

I had the same issue and it was also the battery.....I told Dealer I had read this post and asked him to check my battery. He said he had another one that just came in and thanked me for having a possible solution cause he did not know what may be the cause of the intermittent light and power steering.

Reactions: Carlton
C

Carlton

Aug 25, 2018
AL
Ownership

1. 700-4
Good deal. I have not had a single issue since I replaced the battery. I knew it had to be something simple do to the fact the 700 was less than a year old at the time this was going on and had only 120 or so miles on it plus never ridden hard at all. Glad this fixed your issue too.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!