P500 Pre purchase questions

Buford

Buford

May 9, 2016
U.S.A.
Forgot another advantage of the Mule SX XC, it already has 26" radials stock.

Russ989

Russ989

Land of the free because of the Brave! 🇺🇸
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Forgot another advantage of the Mule SX XC, it already has 26" radials stock.
I looked at one when I bought my p500, they are pretty good but the Honda has a better drive train in my opinion. Either one would fit the bill, but I still prefer the Honda of course.

Reactions: 500oneer
alloutdoors

alloutdoors

Jan 21, 2018
US
Ownership

1. 500

2. 700-4

3. Do not currently own
I’ve owned one and agree with the utility aspect and wish I had something like that but with a little more gitty-up-and-go. I did not like the choke, and the lack of power, especially if you came up on any incline. I would like be more inclined today to look at the Kubota RTV 400 or likely the 500

U

ukrkoz

Dec 23, 2018
PacNW
Ownership

1. 500
Ah, yeah. they do have FI one for $500 more vs P500. I am not sure about 401cc engine though... sounds under-powered, though towing capacity is higher than P500. I like CVT though. Should shift smooth. And 3 yr warranty.

906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
It's hard to beat the Mule for pure utility, we had one at the power plant when I worked in Texas. It's about as far from a sport/trail rig as they get but when it comes to getting work done it's the ticket.

Reactions: alloutdoors
Buford

Buford

May 9, 2016
U.S.A.
Ah, yeah. they do have FI one for $500 more vs P500. I am not sure about 401cc engine though... sounds under-powered, though towing capacity is higher than P500. I like CVT though. Should shift smooth. And 3 yr warranty.
They definitely don't accelerate quick and top out at 25. But I'm sure that they have enough power for a property use machine, especially using the low range. The CVT is convenient for sure, and I can't say that I've ever had to put a belt on one ( older 610 or the SX) in the almost 5 years I've worked at the dealership.They maybe ride a little stiffer than the Pioneer with only having 3.1" of suspension travel, but would be more stable on sidehills and better for pulling trailers with the straight rear axle.
The steel dump bed on the Mule would be alot handier than adding the stationary plastic cargo tray that Honda sells for the P500, or one of the aftermarket (Strongmade) beds.

Last edited:
Reactions: alloutdoors
T

Tstover

Dec 15, 2018
Central PA
Ownership

1. 500
Another SxS to consider for that type of use is the Kawasaki Mule SX XC. In fact, I think they might be a better unit for your intended use. A few advantages they have over the Pioneer 500 is : all steel dump bed, turf mode / unlocking rear end, lighter steering, alot more steel used in the construction. They also added optional fuel injection for '19, which is the only way to go in my book (only $600 more).
I'm considering selling my zero mile '15 Pioneer 500 and getting a new Mule SX. It's obvious I'm never going to do any recreational riding after having mine over 4 years and never driving it. And I think if I had the Mule I'd at least use it for chores around the place.
Now the Mule ain't going to win any races with a 25 mph top speed if that's an issue.

You have a zero mile '15, and you might sell? I've been looking for a few months, half heartedly, but still looking. I'd be interested, depending on how close to PA you are. And the price of course.

Buford

Buford

May 9, 2016
U.S.A.
You have a zero mile '15, and you might sell? I've been looking for a few months, half heartedly, but still looking. I'd be interested, depending on how close to PA you are. And the price of course.

I'm out in the wild west, probably well over 2K miles away so I'm sure it wouldn't be feasible for you.

T

Tstover

Dec 15, 2018
Central PA
Ownership

1. 500
I'm out in the wild west, probably well over 2K miles away so I'm sure it wouldn't be feasible for you.

Well, I did drive over 500 miles to pick up a 9 year old KLX 250!

advertisement
Backwoods

Backwoods

Ambassador of Crocs / Speaker of truth & facts /
Lifetime Member
Mar 2, 2018
Douglasville ga
Ownership

1. 700-2
Here is the brochure for Kubota 400/500 RTV to consider as well. Personally, I would look at the 500 with liquid cool, hydrostatic drive, etc., and Kubota's are known for utility/work, https://www.kubotausa.com/docs/default-source/brochure-sheets/rtv500.pdf?sfvrsn=e197ac2b_4
I have a Kubota RTV 900 diesel I have had since new in 05 great work machine you can't tear it up it has a hydraulic dump bed I highly recommend it for a work machine but is horrible to try recreational riding. It is loud,27 is top speed and weighs a little over 1800 lbs.but it will drag a Pioneer out of anything.

ShotgunClay

ShotgunClay

Mar 13, 2018
Founders Ranch New Mexico
Ownership

1. 500
Here is the brochure for Kubota 400/500 RTV to consider as well. Personally, I would look at the 500 with liquid cool, hydrostatic drive, etc., and Kubota's are known for utility/work, https://www.kubotausa.com/docs/default-source/brochure-sheets/rtv500.pdf?sfvrsn=e197ac2b_4

I was seriously looking at a RTV 500, but then my P5 showed up at the dealer with 170 miles on it. For what I'm doing, it's superior in every way except bed carrying capacity (but we have several sizes of trailers I use).

Reactions: Gassygordo
Mudslyder

Mudslyder

Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2016
Central Ohio
Ownership

1. 500
Well, I did drive over 500 miles to pick up a 9 year old KLX 250!
I have a family member that drives all over the country doing pick-ups and drop offs of small loads like this. He plans a route to maximize efficiencies so his prices are very reasonable. If that helps in making the deal let me know and I will get you his contact info.

Reactions: Mudder and Chooglin
Buford

Buford

May 9, 2016
U.S.A.
I have a family member that drives all over the country doing pick-ups and drop offs of small loads like this. He plans a route to maximize efficiencies so his prices are very reasonable. If that helps in making the deal let me know and I will get you his contact info.
I'd probably be lucky to find even a local buyer since I won't sell mine for anywhere even close to book price.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!