U

ukrkoz

Dec 23, 2018
PacNW
Ownership

1. 500
I am buying one this coming Sunday.
Before I do so, I have several questions

1. How well does it do in mud and puddles? Reason being is lower tier of my property is wetland. As of right now, it is basically puddle upon puddle with mud and muddy areas. My Foreman 500 does just fine on them. How does P500 do? Puddles can be just above the footrest on Foreman deep.
2. Intended use is property only. Tow tow-behind mower, 500lb and utility cart. Plenty of stuff to move around property. I know it's rated for 1000 lb. Reality of life?
3. Pre purchase test drive. In my other thread, I was explained that kicking transmission is OK and slowly goes away. Dealer has 2 of them. Do I go for one that kicks less, obviously? Also, most said to simply stay in manual mode and use paddle shifters. What is the trick to shift better, smoother, with paddle shifter? Or, simply put it into say 2nd gear and run?
4. Towing tow behind mower. That needs to be done around 5mph. How well does it hold steady speed? Cruise would have been nice, sure. But anyway - holding speed going up and down hills and valleys and puddles and such.?. My regular mower, 60'' deck, takes 4 hours to do the property as, in some areas it is so rough, I creep maybe half a mile/hr. That's why entire idea behind getting ATV with 4 corner suspension, capable of going through puddles and mud. It is VERY hard to pull mower out of mud trap. As I need to mow in March, when it's plenty of wetland in place, till mid June, when it dries out. Then it's hard bumps and runts.

Thank you

Reactions: 100Acre
Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
Really like the P500 for chores around acreage, easy in/out seat, good for slow pulling and capable in mud. 1st gear is pretty low, usually start from stop in 2nd. I got a Trottle Max to smooth out accelerator pedal for slow driving. More of a work horse, not a race horse but romping on the paddle shift for a quick ride is there if you need it. Last word....Dependable.
Check out this recent tread for doing chores , September ROTM - Yard/Landscape work! - ToddACimer

And an article about the P500 for your intended use. Many of us have installed after market power steering, and larger tires if you have that question. Not essential, but nice
Field Mowing with the Honda Pioneer 500 - UTV Guide

Last edited:
alloutdoors

alloutdoors

Jan 21, 2018
US
Ownership

1. 500

2. 700-4

3. Do not currently own

1. How well does it do in mud and puddles? Reason being is lower tier of my property is wetland. As of right now, it is basically puddle upon puddle with mud and muddy areas. My Foreman 500 does just fine on them. How does P500 do? Puddles can be just above the footrest on Foreman deep.

Response: I suspect if you were to actually measure the air intake on a Foreman vs. Honda Pioneer they are within inches of one another. With that said, I would take the time to get familiar with the Pioneer before jumping into deep stuff and where things are, i.e., vent lines etc.

2. Intended use is property only. Tow tow-behind mower, 500lb and utility cart. Plenty of stuff to move around property. I know it's rated for 1000 lb. Reality of life?

Response: It will pull that 500 lbs with no problem.

3. Pre purchase test drive. In my other thread, I was explained that kicking transmission is OK and slowly goes away. Dealer has 2 of them. Do I go for one that kicks less, obviously? Also, most said to simply stay in manual mode and use paddle shifters. What is the trick to shift better, smoother, with paddle shifter? Or, simply put it into say 2nd gear and run?

Response: I personally use the paddle shifters exclusively on my Pioneer. The advantage is you can determine the right gear/anticipated needed and the beauty of these units today it will downshift on its own when you let up, so when you get out and run 25-30 mph and let off it will downshift and be ready to go on its own. As for paddle shifting, I typically let up on the gas a little and then upshift vs. driving the gears on pressure/gas...

4. Towing tow behind mower. That needs to be done around 5mph. How well does it hold steady speed? Cruise would have been nice, sure. But anyway - holding speed going up and down hills and valleys and puddles and such.?. My regular mower, 60'' deck, takes 4 hours to do the property as, in some areas it is so rough, I creep maybe half a mile/hr. That's why entire idea behind getting ATV with 4 corner suspension, capable of going through puddles and mud. It is VERY hard to pull mower out of mud trap. As I need to mow in March, when it's plenty of wetland in place, till mid June, when it dries out. Then it's hard bumps and runts.

Response: the Pioneer is heavier than a ATV, so without seeing the wetlands, etc., would be hard to determine how it will go through the mud, but there are many..... videos where you can find online showing the capability of these units. Holding 5 mph will not be an issue on these units and they behave better at slower speeds vs. wide open....

Thank you

Reactions: ukrkoz
Alan aka Davinci

Alan aka Davinci

Mr. Meme Master
Lifetime Member
Apr 25, 2015
Grand Junction, CO
Ownership

1. 500

Thank you
The first thing you MUST do is ditch the factory tires and get aftermarket.

alloutdoors

alloutdoors

Jan 21, 2018
US
Ownership

1. 500

2. 700-4

3. Do not currently own
Agreed, sell the new tires immediately or better yet, upgrade them in the deal when making the purchase.........

U

ukrkoz

Dec 23, 2018
PacNW
Ownership

1. 500
Thank you. Basically, answers my questions.
Sorry to sound dumb, but I had so much trouble with my Foreman that I am blowing on cold now.

As what i am looking at:

20181224_094140_HDR.jpg

20181224_094055.jpg

That's lower tier. upper tier is dry mostly, just very bumpy. Couple of hills.

20181224 094055 20181224 094140 HDR

alloutdoors

alloutdoors

Jan 21, 2018
US
Ownership

1. 500

2. 700-4

3. Do not currently own
I don't think you will have no trouble running through that with the Pioneer. Do know, however, the Pioneer is heavier, so if you were making ruts before multiple them by 2x...

Reactions: 500oneer
U

ukrkoz

Dec 23, 2018
PacNW
Ownership

1. 500
I don't think you will have no trouble running through that with the Pioneer. Do know, however, the Pioneer is heavier, so if you were making ruts before multiple them by 2x...
Oh yeah, sure. Then summer timr when it dries out it's even bumpier. Thats fine.

alloutdoors

alloutdoors

Jan 21, 2018
US
Ownership

1. 500

2. 700-4

3. Do not currently own
Oh yeah, sure. Then summer timr when it dries out it's even bumpier. Thats fine.
Yes, I learned that the hard way myself :) Something you can do come summer to help with the problem is rent a mini-excavator (picture copied/pasted from dealership and shown below) and dig strategic holes in the bottom and spread the dirt. The holes will pull water and you will be surprised how much drier it will be. I have rented one for the weekend, around $350 and it's the best money spent to address some issues..
2014 Cat 3035E CR Mini Excavator

U

ukrkoz

Dec 23, 2018
PacNW
Ownership

1. 500
Yes, I learned that the hard way myself :) Something you can do come summer to help with the problem is rent a mini-excavator (picture copied/pasted from dealership and shown below) and dig strategic holes in the bottom and spread the dirt. The holes will pull water and you will be surprised how much drier it will be. I have rented one for the weekend, around $350 and it's the best money spent to address some issues..
View attachment 98922
Would've been great but it's illegal to disturb wetlands topsoil.

advertisement
alloutdoors

alloutdoors

Jan 21, 2018
US
Ownership

1. 500

2. 700-4

3. Do not currently own
Would've been great but it's illegal to disturb wetlands topsoil.
Understood... I am curious, however, they okay with mowing/upkeep vs. letting it be totally natural?

U

ukrkoz

Dec 23, 2018
PacNW
Ownership

1. 500
You are allowed to mow and trim. You are not allowed to say uproot vegetation. Neighbor was fined $750 for getting rid of blackberry shrubs. Though we pay "noxious weed" tax same time and BB are in that category.
I mean, what I need it get dozer in and nuke the property, re grade it. It is all "natural grade", what means - hills and valleys and ups and downs and runts and mole mounds.
That is EXACTLY what is not allowed on wetlands. Good part is - it's only 1.25 out of 6 acre. If you draw a diagonal through the picture, left top to right bottom, left hand triangle will be wetland. The rest is applicable to regrading. What means, dealing with permits anmd inspectors and such. Or, being nice to neighbors, dozing it and hoping no one will pick the phone. One never knows.

Regulated Uses and Activities
Your wetland section should list those uses and activities that are regulated under the
critical areas ordinance. Some of these items include: removal, excavation, grading, or

dredging of material of any kind; draining, flooding, or disturbing of the wetland, water level , or water table; the construction, reconstruction, demolition, or expansion of any structure; etc. More extensive examples are provided in the sample ordinance.
Wetlands are often impacted by unauthorized clearing and grading that takes place
before application for development permits.

You can plant trees though. So safer way is to plant a bunch and let them suck water out with roots.

Last edited:
Reactions: alloutdoors
alloutdoors

alloutdoors

Jan 21, 2018
US
Ownership

1. 500

2. 700-4

3. Do not currently own
Thanks and for the details....

Russ989

Russ989

Land of the free because of the Brave! 🇺🇸
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I agree with upgrading the tires, the stock tires are about a 3 out of 10! The P5 doesn’t really hunt for gears but be ready when it shifts in auto, it’s going to grab and go. If you have it in manual mode, the trick is to not let off the gas when shifting, if you do it just makes it buck harder. It’s a great machine and I don’t think you’ll have any problems with it. Post some picks when you pick her up. Good luck.

Reactions: alloutdoors
906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
I've had my P5.....aka The Donkey.... in mud/water holes over the seat and it just keeps chugging along, as long as there is traction it'll go. The only hang up is if it gets high centered, even then a little rocking side to side will usually get it going again.

alloutdoors

alloutdoors

Jan 21, 2018
US
Ownership

1. 500

2. 700-4

3. Do not currently own
OK, so which tires do we upgrade to?
If you take 100% of the riding effort, what percentage(s) will be mud, gravel, blacktop, trail riding, yard work, etc.? Narrowing down the highest percentage will help....

U

ukrkoz

Dec 23, 2018
PacNW
Ownership

1. 500
Yard work as in towing mower across wet land/property till June, or utility trailer - 95%. Occasional runs to entertain grandson - the rest. So far, not trail runs planned. Strictly property ute. Oh, and I do not care if it tears grass some. I already have pretty bad ass ATV tires on my mowers, no other way to mow, turf tires simply have zero grip.

alloutdoors

alloutdoors

Jan 21, 2018
US
Ownership

1. 500

2. 700-4

3. Do not currently own
In my opinion, you can easily use the factory rims and just get something a bit taller (25 or 26"), and see what the dealer is willing to do for you, i.e., some swapping of factory new plus a few bucks on something. There are many aftermarket tires, but it will really come down to what s/he has on-hand to cut a deal...

Buford

Buford

May 9, 2016
U.S.A.

Thank you

Another SxS to consider for that type of use is the Kawasaki Mule SX XC. In fact, I think they might be a better unit for your intended use. A few advantages they have over the Pioneer 500 is : all steel dump bed, turf mode / unlocking rear end, lighter steering, alot more steel used in the construction. They also added optional fuel injection for '19, which is the only way to go in my book (only $600 more).
I'm considering selling my zero mile '15 Pioneer 500 and getting a new Mule SX. It's obvious I'm never going to do any recreational riding after having mine over 4 years and never driving it. And I think if I had the Mule I'd at least use it for chores around the place.
Now the Mule ain't going to win any races with a 25 mph top speed if that's an issue.

Last edited:
Reactions: 906UP
advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!