P1000 Prefilter cover

RedFred1

RedFred1

Aug 4, 2018
North Carolina
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I am laying out my underhood electrical changes for my 2nd battery and associated wiring. I am looking at that real estate occupied by the pre-filter cover...

I want to use it for something else...

Anyone else scrapped it? I made a plate out of aluminum sheet stock and will place a piece of blue filter foam under it. Any issues with it before I take the time to powder coat it? I will make something to cover those 3 relays maybe by modifying the old cover... anyhoo...

As always, I appreciate the comments!

FredD

Reactions: sharp and BWAF
BWAF

BWAF

I get paid to pass gas
Lifetime Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carthage MO
Ownership

1. 1000-5
View attachment 84567 View attachment 84568 I am laying out my underhood electrical changes for my 2nd battery and associated wiring. I am looking at that real estate occupied by the pre-filter cover...

Anyone else scrapped it? I made a plate out of aluminum sheet stock and will place a piece of blue filter foam under it. Any issues with it before I take the time to powder coat it? I will make something to cover those 3 relays maybe by modifying the old cover... anyhoo...

FredD
P1000 - My first mod will be...?

My first mod will be...?

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk

BigOL3

BigOL3

Lifetime Member
Oct 27, 2017
Deep in the heart of Dixie, Kentwood, La.
Ownership

1. 1000-5
View attachment 84567 View attachment 84568 I am laying out my underhood electrical changes for my 2nd battery and associated wiring. I am looking at that real estate occupied by the pre-filter cover...

FredD
Are you going to reroute the intake, or just leaving the current intake location open?

Reactions: BWAF
RedFred1

RedFred1

Aug 4, 2018
North Carolina
Ownership

1. 1000-3
My thought was to block off the old opening and fill the hole in the bottom of the area under the filter... then install blue filter material in the box about 1" higher than the sides. Using standoffs to mount the plate and hold the foam in place...

I did just read the posts about the new style cover and internals to correct a possible water intrusion issue. So maybe I need to rethink it... I may go the snorkle route but under the hood and into the dash...

FredD

Reactions: BigOL3 and BWAF
BigOL3

BigOL3

Lifetime Member
Oct 27, 2017
Ownership

1. 1000-5
My thought was to block off the old opening and fill the hole in the bottom of the area under the filter... then install blue filter material in the box about 1" higher than the sides. Using standoffs to mount the plate and hold the foam in place...

I did just read the posts about the new style cover and internals to correct a possible water intrusion issue. So maybe I need to rethink it... I may go the snorkle route but under the hood and into the dash...

FredD
19d364b74e5251d4f1c5304507273ec5 jpg jpg

Cf2ed8f7e3a72e23877e12f70519ebe0 jpg jpg

ToddACimer

ToddACimer

Pioneer 1005-2
Lifetime Member
Oct 7, 2016
Oshkosh, Wi
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'd change the intake to pull air from under the hood rather than above the fan. Unless you think you need a snorkel

Reactions: RedFred1 and BWAF
RedFred1

RedFred1

Aug 4, 2018
North Carolina
Ownership

1. 1000-3
BigOl3... I like your setup... it is very clean and a simple, elegant solution to relocating that intake. But to me, it is not making the best
use of the space I want under the hood... look at all this wasted space...

I am thinking of cutting off the intake tube above the hanger bracket... using a fernco rubber adapter to remount the cut off section with the bend facing into that cutout and come out in a prefilter under the dash.

I am also looking at the flexible tube:
3 INCH ADJUSTABLE FLEXIBLE SHORT RAM/COLD AIR INTAKE DUCT TURBO TUBE PIPE HOSE | eBay

That stock tube has an O.D. of ~71mm, an I.D. of ~65mm and a wall thickness of ~3mm.

This flex tube has an I.D. of ~72mm and could be used instead of the fernco and old tube section. I am buying one to try. The built in brackets are an added bonus.

FredD

BigOL3

BigOL3

Lifetime Member
Oct 27, 2017
Ownership

1. 1000-5
BigOl3... I like your setup... it is very clean and a simple, elegant solution to relocating that intake. But to me, it is not making the bestView attachment 84608 use of the space I want under the hood... look at all this wasted space...

I am thinking of cutting off the intake tube above the hanger bracket... using a fernco rubber adapter to remount the cut off section with the bend facing into that cutout and come out in a prefilter under the dash.

I am also looking at the flexible tube:
3 INCH ADJUSTABLE FLEXIBLE SHORT RAM/COLD AIR INTAKE DUCT TURBO TUBE PIPE HOSE | eBay

That stock tube has an O.D. of ~71mm, an I.D. of ~65mm and a wall thickness of ~3mm.

This flex tube has an I.D. of ~72mm and could be used instead of the fernco and old tube section. I am buying one to try. The built in brackets are an added bonus.

FredD
Yeah, SIMPLE was the driving force in my decision to go that route ...... KISS. Your idea sound good, but probably would get screwed up if I tried it ..... lol

RedFred1

RedFred1

Aug 4, 2018
North Carolina
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Heheh... it is always good to know your strengths and weaknesses! Since I never learned this, I am pressing ahead with the changes I think I want!

I made a plate to cover the fresh air intake and a mount for my new fuse panel...

RedFred1

RedFred1

Aug 4, 2018
North Carolina
Ownership

1. 1000-3
So I have officially, sorta totally abandoned the underhood prefilter. I have cut my air tube down 14" and attached an expandable plastic duct.

I cut it just below the upper frame bracket. I did not like the large bell on the bottom of the aluminum adapter that came with the expandable plastic pipe, so I cut it off with my portaband. I then put Black RTV on the pipe end and put two pop rivets in the aluminum adapter.

Once the RTV cured, I put some RTV on the other end of the adapter and slid on the plastic corrugated tube. I put two more pop rivets through the plastic tube and additional rtv. Once the RTV set, I put on the pipe clamp. Then I wrapped some linerless rubber splicing tape around the plastic aluminum join topped off wit a wrap or two of plastic electrical tape.

Once back in place I now have over 37" of total tubing I can use to place my prefilter where I want.

I will use the second aluminum adapter to mount the prefilter and the hose clamp and bracket to secure it. The good thing about this setup is if I want to go back to the original prefilter box, the tube will go there and be able to mount to the standard Honda fittings...

FredD

Last edited:
advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!