Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Same thing your beloved wolverine has
As my daughters Wolverine? Lol. Yes I know and it’s been good. I sure as hell wish it had paddles though, it’d be quieter, less vibrations, more power to the ground, better engine braking and control, longer engine life, sound cooler and just be waaaaay more fun to drive.

Reactions: pct and TripleB
J

JTW

As my daughters Wolverine? Lol. Yes I know and it’s been good. I sure as hell wish it had paddles though, it’d be quieter, less vibrations, more power to the ground, better engine braking and control, longer engine life, sound cooler and just be waaaaay more fun to drive.
I agree I wish it had paddles.. but I can’t agree on much of the other stuff.

Reactions: CumminsPusher
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I agree I wish it had paddles.. but I can’t agree on much of the other stuff.
You can change shocks out to your liking for the most part but unless you’re @snuffnwhisky can’t feasibly swap in a real transmission.
I definitely don’t mind the wet clutched belt but LOVE the DCT. Even other manufacturers are looking at it hard. The Talon would probably have more goods if it weren’t for the manufacturing cost of non-belt.

Reactions: TripleB and CID
Hometeam

Hometeam

Lifetime Member
Nov 26, 2015
Normal, IL
I tot
You can change shocks out to your liking for the most part but unless you’re @snuffnwhisky can’t feasibly swap in a real transmission.
I definitely don’t mind the wet clutched belt but LOVE the DCT. Even other manufacturers are looking at it hard. The Talon would probably have more goods if it weren’t for the manufacturing cost of non-belt.

I totally agree with the cost of actually having a trans compared to a belt. When people talk about the suspension and some of the interior bells and whistles that other machines have and wonder why the Honda doesn't have it. All's I can think of is how much money it would take for those companies to actually put out a reliable side by side with a real transmission in it. In order to compete with the price of other NA side by sides they have to cut the cost somewhere. I'm glad they don't cut it on reliability. Some people would take a fully loaded gas-powered truck instead of a cloth interiored diesel truck. I for one would pick the diesel and deal with the options.... I guess that's what makes the world go round! 😋

J

JTW

You all act like the DCT doesn’t have severe limits.. most of us here have found them. If Honda had built a machine to really put an end to all the bs.. Id have bought it. But instead we get marginally acceptable from cooling systems, suspension, steering, 4wd and heard transmissions that only support a light 30-32” tire. All
On a machine that’s significantly higher initially and with significantly fewer necessities.. ie, skid plates, arched a arms, wheels, tires, stainless brake lines, etc. Guys... it’s time to wake up. These aren’t the Honda’s of yester year... They’re not bulletproof when in stock form and God forbid you accessorize them. I’m not saying the KRX is God’s gift to off-roading, but the reality is they actually listened and built a machine that’s what MANY of US try to make our Hondas into! And all for a price that is equivalent to what most of us paid for our deluxe PK5’s! I’m just saying.. don’t buy into this fanboy bulls***!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Schmeg

Schmeg

Jan 9, 2020
Bangor Maine
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The KRX has already proven to be a well thought out machine. It has the most compliment suspension out there. The biggest issue is the lack of a “trail” edition that is a bit narrower for width restricted areas. Honda needs to do a couple of things to bring the Talon along. Update a serious issue with shock geometry on the X and R and produce a double A-arm version sporting 60” width.

Reactions: JTW
Hometeam

Hometeam

Lifetime Member
Nov 26, 2015
Normal, IL
Interesting....you don't own one! And the only thing you said that I find really true is the suspension (which I am jealous of) and beadlock wheels (that most will still change out anyway). I can easily address each other thing you mentioned about the Talon but there is no point....lots of people running tires bigger than 32. I hope you don't think the KRX is the end all be all?? Please go buy it and do nothing to it and drive it hard and report back us before you answer with zero knowledge of either machine unless you own one and have done just that? I don't own a KRX but I can check the internet the same way you can to see what it needs to have added to it and still have a super high reving belt driven machine! I own multiple brands right now and don't dislike them....I have a Yamaha and a Polaris in my shed. I am close with my Polaris pushed dealership and know what they deal with. I have a buddy that had a Can Am X3 turbo and sold it for a Talon. So I am not saying I am completely right but I definitely know you seem to have no clue on it either....I run my stuff hard and I know what brand is still holding up for me and the guys I ride with! And yes there are things I would change on the Talon! I am not a fanboy, just like a machine that takes a beating and keeps going. The KRX has yet to prove that....

Last edited:
H

HondaTech

You all act like the DCT doesn’t have severe limits.. most of us here have found them. If Honda has built a machine to really put an end to all the bs.. Id have bought it. But instead we get marginally acceptable from cooling systems, suspension, steering, 4wd and heard transmissions that only support a light 30-32” tire. All
On a machine that’s significantly higher initially and with significantly fewer necessities.. ie, skid plates, arched a arms, wheels, tires, stainless brake lines, etc. Guys... it’s time to wake up. These aren’t the Honda’s of yester year... They’re not bullit proof when in stock form and God forbid you accessorize them. I’m not saying the KRX is God’s gift to off-roading, but the reality is they actually listed and built a machine that’s what MANY of us try to make our Hondas into! And all for a price that is equivalent to what most of us paid for our deluxe PK5’s! I’m just saying.. don’t buy into this fanboy bulls***!!

If anyone had put the DCT to the test it would be my GM. He's tried to break his Talon racing it this year.

Hell he towed a 4 seat RZR off a mountain at Brimstone and never skipped a beat.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
You all act like the DCT doesn’t have severe limits.. most of us here have found them. If Honda has built a machine to really put an end to all the bs.. Id have bought it. But instead we get marginally acceptable from cooling systems, suspension, steering, 4wd and heard transmissions that only support a light 30-32” tire. All
On a machine that’s significantly higher initially and with significantly fewer necessities.. ie, skid plates, arched a arms, wheels, tires, stainless brake lines, etc. Guys... it’s time to wake up. These aren’t the Honda’s of yester year... They’re not bullit proof when in stock form and God forbid you accessorize them. I’m not saying the KRX is God’s gift to off-roading, but the reality is they actually listed and built a machine that’s what MANY of us try to make our Hondas into! And all for a price that is equivalent to what most of us paid for our deluxe PK5’s! I’m just saying.. don’t buy into this fanboy bulls***!!
Come on man me of all people understand some of that to be true. There are problems with all rigs, not trying to justify shortcomings with Honda but it’s all to a degree. Hell most on a Honda didn’t need to start over much less multiple times. But I still believe in the brand as I saw them taking care of most issues and I do believe they have the best drivetrain. So do other manufacturers as they are going that direction. There are limitation with the trans but it is good.
I’ve said very little wrong with Kawi, in fact I think they did wonderful job finding a niche and going for it. Bang for buck there’s lots of good about that machine. It’s perfect for many of you that overland and use it for what it is. Now I have yet to drive one but I’ve got a really good idea how it feels and what it drives like based loosely off our Wolverine. It’ll be a much bigger version with better power/weight. Do I like the Wolverine? Yes. For 11k I thought it to be awesome. Do I want it full time? No I need more. KRX unfortunately is a big fat pig where I personally ride. It’s huge. Although I do think the belt will hold up better then many b I just like the Honda setup. I don’t like the rig to always scream rpms, sometimes it’s nice to talk to your passenger without stupid headphones, there’s negatives there I believe more to be with belt.
I’m happy with Pioneer, don’t want an in between rig i now want true sport not heavy cruiser, suspension doesn’t bother me it’s light agile and f***ing go time. If I want to bang on trees I’ll take the p1k5. Truthfully I’d follow the KRX anywhere it went with Talon but it sure won’t follow me in Talon where I ride. Hell it won’t follow Wolverine and especially Pioneer many places here. If I needed to do overland in one vehicle here I’d load the fam in Pioneer and take off. Talon will do wife and I fine when daughter takes the Yami. Family always goes with. Owning the Pioneer will allow me a sport if it fits and Talon does. It’s different here.
I never wanted belt again after owning Polaris. Yami was a second vehicle cheap. Yes it is a lot better belt (same as Kawi) but still a belt. That can’t be changed. And for me the Talon will be my first personal sxs, it’ll be just go time rig. Wife and daughter can be following in other machines so this’ll be just to make me happy. I don’t want the tanker.

Last edited:
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
If anyone had put the DCT to the test it would be my GM. He's tried to break his Talon racing it this year.

Hell he towed a 4 seat RZR off a mountain at Brimstone and never skipped a beat.
I towed lifted 4-door Cherokee with all the gear miles out of the woods when the belts were scared. Skidded logs, towed trucks cars and multiple Sxs’s with the Honda. Fun to roll into camp after saving someones weekend and see looks on faces. Still a big fan.

J

JTW

Interesting....you don't own one! And the only thing you said that I find really true is the suspension (which I am jealous of) and beadlock wheels (that most will still change out anyway). I can easily address each other thing you mentioned about the Talon but there is no point....lots of people running tires bigger than 32. I hope you don't think the KRX is the end all be all?? Please go buy it and do nothing to it and drive it hard and report back us before you answer with zero knowledge of either machine unless you own one and have done just that? I don't own a KRX but I can check the internet the same way you can to see what it needs to have added to it and still have a super high reving belt driven machine! I own multiple brands right now and don't dislike them....I have a Yamaha and a Polaris in my shed. I am close with my Polaris pushed dealership and know what they deal with. I have a buddy that had a Can Am X3 turbo and sold it for a Talon. So I am not saying I am completely right but I definitely know you seem to have no clue on it either....I run my stuff hard and I know what brand is still holding up for me and the guys I ride with! And yes there are things I would change on the Talon! I am not a fanboy, just like a machine that takes a beating and keeps going. The KRX has yet to prove that....
If you’re referring to me, I do own one..

J

JTW

I’m not referring to the transmission being bad... I really like the DCT but the machine is just not geared low enough and there’s no good way to fix that. Hence it’s limitations.. It’s fine if you have stock tires, but put big tires on it and it goes all to s***. Not to mention the rack and other parts that will domino.

J

JTW

Come on man me of all people understand some of that to be true. There are problems with all rigs, not trying to justify shortcomings with Honda but it’s all to a degree. Hell most on a Honda didn’t need to start over much less multiple times. But I still believe in the brand as I saw them taking care of most issues and I do believe they have the best drivetrain. So do other manufacturers as they are going that direction. There are limitation with the trans but it is good.
I’ve said very little wrong with Kawi, in fact I think they did wonderful job finding a niche and going for it. Bang for buck there’s lots of good about that machine. It’s perfect for many of you that overland and use it for what it is. Now I have yet to drive one but I’ve got a really good idea how it feels and what it drives like based loosely off our Wolverine. It’ll be a much bigger version with better power/weight. Do I like the Wolverine? Yes. For 11k I thought it to be awesome. Do I want it full time? No I need more. KRX unfortunately is a big fat pig where I personally ride. It’s huge. Although I do think the belt will hold up better then many b I just like the Honda setup. I don’t like the rig to always scream rpms, sometimes it’s nice to talk to your passenger without stupid headphones, there’s negatives there I believe more to be with belt.
I’m happy with Pioneer, don’t want an in between rig i now want true sport not heavy cruiser, suspension doesn’t bother me it’s light agile and f***ing go time. If I want to bang on trees I’ll take the p1k5. Truthfully I’d follow the KRX anywhere it went with Talon but it sure won’t follow me in Talon where I ride. Hell it won’t follow Wolverine and especially Pioneer many places here. If I needed to do overland in one vehicle here I’d load the fam in Pioneer and take off. Talon will do wife and I fine when daughter takes the Yami. Family always goes with. Owning the Pioneer will allow me a sport if it fits and Talon does. It’s different here.
I never wanted belt again after owning Polaris. Yami was a second vehicle cheap. Yes it is a lot better belt (same as Kawi) but still a belt. That can’t be changed. And for me the Talon will be my first personal sxs, it’ll be just go time rig. Wife and daughter can be following in other machines so this’ll be just to make me happy. I don’t want the tanker.
You do realize my krx and PK5 are within inches of being the same size and the KRX has a better turning radius than the talons? I’ve heard you talk about how awesome the wolverine is a hundred times. The krx is a wolverine on steroids in all regards. And for $16,200 OTD you cannot argue it’s not the best bang for your buck 1000cc machine out there!

H

HondaTech

I’m not referring to the transmission being bad... I really like the DCT but the machine is just not geared low enough and there’s no good way to fix that. Hence it’s limitations.. It’s fine if you have stock tires, but put big tires on it and it goes all to s***. Not to mention the rack and other parts that will domino.

He runs 32s while not racing, just saying.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
You do realize my krx and PK5 are within inches of being the same size and the KRX has a better turning radius than the talons? I’ve heard you talk about how awesome the wolverine is a hundred times. The krx is a wolverine on steroids in all regards. And for $16,200 OTD you cannot argue it’s not the best bang for your buck 1000cc machine out there!
Ya 14 longer and over 5in wider then Pioneer 5-seater. That’s a lot when trails don’t have multiple paths. I know the stuff you go on is treacherous and I’d go with I promise but there is lots of room, you could more width and get through. The Talon even struggles a bit more in places then p1k5 and Wolverine, so we will be sacrificing a little already at times. Turn radius doesn’t bother me too much after driving Talon, quick blip of throttle seems to turn it quickly in most situations. Suspension shouldn’t be a problem, add weight in the back helps Talon a lot, you know our cooler lol!
Yes I have talked up the Yami but for 11k I didn’t need to buy anything whatsoever for it and it’s been flawless. Obviously ya I’d like paddles and maybe even a 10hp add (which is retarded easy) but she does ok and I don’t drive it much. The belt drone and higher rpm do make it noisy. Honda is by all means so much quieter. I understand why they couldn’t put paddles in such a cheap rig.
Now I know that Kawi would be fun (again just too big here, I’d go title for title if you think you may want to follow me in Pioneer Wolverine or even a Talon here sometime) and the features are nice. Great machine for the money! It is well built and a beast. But I already own Pioneer so I want a true sport to ich my balls a bit.
And again I don’t mind the belt in Wolverine but it just isn’t dct. To me krx is just a more dependable heavy version of Polaris. I know there’s a big switch in some of the group to go Kawi, I’m sure glad it’s to a Jap machine but I can go slow and crawl in anything I own (and about to with Talon) but in the Honda’s I don’t need headphones to hear my passengers that I always have along for the ride.
Some build up a 5-seat Pioneer to ride alone, some cram way more in too small a machine, some have turbos for rock crawling so everyone does something different. There are right machines and wrong ones for given circumstances, and ones that can be built for what’s needed. Some people can afford and ones they can’t. Different machines for different people, you have to agree with that.
It’s a big rig man
331A57E8 36AA 412F BE6A ECF2E9D91BCB

Last edited:
Hometeam

Hometeam

Lifetime Member
Nov 26, 2015
Normal, IL
If you’re referring to me, I do own one..

So you own a KRX but not a Talon? A couple of questions....How many miles have you put on your KRX and where do you ride? How much bigger tires have people put on the KRX? Do you not have to tune the clutch or do any upgrades to it to put on bigger tires like you do for Polaris and Can Am? How much extra power are people adding to the KRX and has it held up? Can you put a Turbo on it? What do you do for the super load noise of it? So it has no heat coming off it's motor or radiator (the Talon isn't hot like the pioneer is)? Can you put much bigger tires on the stock wheels? I am seriously asking you these questions since you own one!

I take that bet that @CumminsPusher threw out with you also....I'll race you with my Talon or my YXZ title for title.....