P1000 Product Update - Official Pioneer 1000 Clutch Update! Expires 9/2020

Kilo427

Kilo427

Not about the destination Its about the journey
Lifetime Member
Dec 10, 2015
I called a dealer that I didn't buy mine from because the mechanic has been at this Honda dealer for a long long time he is really good and that is the dealer I am using as far as you doing the clutch fix yourself I would bet you would have to buy the parts instead of getting it done for free but I understand how people feel it's hard to find good help that care about doing the job right

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say you won't be able to get the parts as an individual for some time I tried to order them several days ago with a messag back saying back ordered with no estimated time available

Landman

Landman

The Great Bearded One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jun 27, 2017
Central Arkansas
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
The service bulletin says something about the oil I am just going to wait and get my 100 mile service and the heat fix and the clutch fix done at the same time

Yeah, I'm at 83 mi right now and will prob be somewhere around 120-150 by then so they'll be doing both first service and clutch updates.

D

Deanb

Mar 26, 2016
Stonyplain
When I see these machines with 3 to 12 thousand miles so far and no clutch issues, mine's not getting cracked open till it needs it.
Lots of machines up here are on their 4th clutch It seems using reverse and up shifting under load is taking them out

Reactions: 0860silverado
ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Typo?

That makes no sense, why would you upshift under load???

Wait do you mean under throttle but easily moving? That's normal acceleration.

Or upshift under throttle with the motor loaded and if you upshift the motor will lug down?(this is under load to me)

Reactions: moparornocar
Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Wait do you mean under throttle but easily moving? That's normal acceleration.

Or upshift under throttle with the motor loaded and if you upshift the motor will lug down?(this is under load to me)
I think he means up shifting while pulling a trailer or going uphill ect

T

tbaker

Aug 31, 2013
NW. Georgia
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Lot of people are shifting while they are riding to different modes like 4 wheel high to 2 wheel lock instead of stopping to change modes.There is a thread on here somewhere from Pro Kevin talking about this. There is some YouTube videos where people are riding and not stopping just going back and forth to any drive mode this can't be good

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I'll hook up to trailers that I'm hauling around home and when going up hills and under moderate throttle sometimes it will shift. It's an automatic transmission, and Honda has it tuned to shift under load when pulling a trailer. It happens to me a lot and has not caused an issue.

You know that the computer is monitoring engine load and throttle position as well as many other factors and if Honda thinks it's OK for it to change gears up or down when I am holding the throttle down, then I see no problem.

As for the drive mode selector, that's something you can't recommend for anyone to do. It's something I've done for several years now of owning pioneers. You have to know when it's safe to do it and when it's not. It's not safe to be stuck in two wheel drive with the back tires spinning and the front tires not and then try to engage it. I always tell people that they should follow the owners manual on what it says. I don't think anybody should risk their machine because someone else tells them it's OK.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Lot of people are shifting while they are riding to different modes like 4 wheel high to 2 wheel lock instead of stopping to change modes.There is a thread on here somewhere from Pro Kevin talking about this. There is some YouTube videos where people are riding and not stopping just going back and forth to any drive mode this can't be good
That's not taking clutches out. If done right it and not spinning it won't effect anything especially at slower speeds. But as stated above follow the instructions

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
When I see these machines with 3 to 12 thousand miles so far and no clutch issues, mine's not getting cracked open till it needs it.
But even one time being in bad situation where you have to back up a hill to get out or something the like can put enough heat into the clutches to cause a failure, until you've had issues it's hard to understand exactly how fast they can fail. Debris from clutch failures has taken engines out from a simple issue and that's definitely not cheap.
Extra lube and heat reduction could allow for such things. Even a good machine being driven correctly can still benefit. Strong believer on this. Precautions never hurt. Like buying a skid plate when only driving dirt roads or having a snorkeled rig in Arizona... never know what's down the trail better safe then sorry.
Hard to argue a safety measure that's free and if Honda thought it was enough of an issue to go through the heartache of testing,development then change the production in all units I just can't see why people wouldnt just get it done.

Last edited:
snuffnwhisky

snuffnwhisky

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 21, 2016
Cullman, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
Just called my dealer and they are ordering this and the heat fix for me. They want me to come down and teach their techs how to work on the clutch end of these things lol.

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Spoke to my dealer today and said my heat fix the is here and it will be put on tomorrow. Second I asked about the clutch fix since it was there And he said that was an excellent idea and is getting it ordered today. He also said Honda will only let him do 2 machines per day on the fixes. FYI

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Dec 13 I'm taking mine in, I'm taking it to a Honda only dealer and they are all out of state so waiting till I'm off for Christmas Holidays.

If anyone wants to ride the later half of December Ill have a few days here and there that aren't burdened by the holidays and that we aren't on a family trip.

Tolbert

Tolbert

Apr 22, 2017
Dawson Springs, Kentucky
But even one time being in bad situation where you have to back up a hill to get out or something the like can put enough heat into the clutches to cause a failure, until you've had issues it's hard to understand exactly how fast they can fail. Debris from clutch failures has taken engines out from a simple issue and that's definitely not cheap.
Extra lube and heat reduction could allow for such things. Even a good machine being driven correctly can still benefit. Strong believer on this. Precautions never hurt. Like buying a skid plate when only driving dirt roads or having a snorkeled rig in Arizona... never know what's down the trail better safe then sorry.
Hard to argue a safety measure that's free and if Honda thought it was enough of an issue to go through the heartache of testing,development then change the production in all units I just can't see why people wouldnt just get it done.
I see what your saying, but on the other hand we got till the end of September in 2020. I'm not gonna put miles on a supposedly solved problem until a) clutches burn up and warranty takes care of it all+ the upgrade. b) I'm closing in on the 3yr timetable. I understand the safety measures you speak of but Honda is the one giving 3 yrs on this campaign. I'm holding out, and see where this goes.

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Just called my dealer and they are ordering this and the heat fix for me. They want me to come down and teach their techs how to work on the clutch end of these things lol.

I guess I need to go ahead and get my parts ordered too. If they'll do yours than I know they'll do mine!

0860silverado

Lifetime Member
May 25, 2017
louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I see what your saying, but on the other hand we got till the end of September in 2020. I'm not gonna put miles on a supposedly solved problem until a) clutches burn up and warranty takes care of it all+ the upgrade. b) I'm closing in on the 3yr timetable. I understand the safety measures you speak of but Honda is the one giving 3 yrs on this campaign. I'm holding out, and see where this goes.

My Honda extended warranty expires in Dec 2020. I think I'm gonna wait a while too and make sure this fix actually works. Who knows...they might come out with an improved clutch material in the next 3 years. Plus it'll give my dealer's mechanic a few guinea pigs to learn how to do it properly. I'll probably start calling my dealer around July 2020 and set an appt for upgrade (if my clutches hold up that long).

Tramguage1

Tramguage1

Texan
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 2, 2015
Somereset, Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
I think I'm going to wait on the clutch also. If I don' have any trouble before the 2018 Takeover. By then we will know if it' a good fix. My LE is a late 17 model, not sure if its any different than the 16s and early 17s

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV

I'm sure Honda is offering this to allow more time for manufacturing and instant cost savings. I guess I'm overly nervous for personal reasons, I agree there is plenty of time to get it done but feel it's designed after a true field study (customer real world failures) so it makes sense to me. But with the luck I've had I may just be jaded lol
I'd really like to see how much different if any it does feel. Nice to see they worked on this issue let's hope it drops the failure rate.

Last edited:

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!