P1000 Product Update - Official Pioneer 1000 Clutch Update! Expires 9/2020

jawquin

jawquin

Oct 24, 2015
Indiana
Ownership

1. 700-4

2. Talon R
But even one time being in bad situation where you have to back up a hill to get out or something the like can put enough heat into the clutches to cause a failure, until you've had issues it's hard to understand exactly how fast they can fail. Debris from clutch failures has taken engines out from a simple issue and that's definitely not cheap.
Extra lube and heat reduction could allow for such things. Even a good machine being driven correctly can still benefit. Strong believer on this. Precautions never hurt. Like buying a skid plate when only driving dirt roads or having a snorkeled rig in Arizona... never know what's down the trail better safe then sorry.
Hard to argue a safety measure that's free and if Honda thought it was enough of an issue to go through the heartache of testing,development then change the production in all units I just can't see why people wouldnt just get it done.

Great thoughts CP. I will take my chance on the 3 or 4 percent failure rates people post about and I could fall into that. Mine will get it done when it needs broke apart and then the chance for more debris (non clutch) by taking apart and reassembling can enter the case. If it occurs after my 1 yr warranty I'll pay for the parts and do it myself if Honda wont cover it. No external debris entering the case on mine till it needs cracked open. Nothing is free. We all pay for the few that fail. That's why they do campaigns and recalls and stay in business.

The 700 had a campaign on it a couple years ago that I got in the mail. It hasn't caught on fire yet but it may someday because I didn't take it in.

Honda's are usually good but I gotta say this P1000 transmission setup is a bit complicated and alot going on in it and glad to see they are being proactive with their campaigns.

DRAGFOOT

DRAGFOOT

Lifetime Member
Mar 16, 2016
MINNESOTA
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I'm not judging anyone here as they can do as they choose. But I find it interesting how many people were screaming for a fix and dragging honda through the mud and now that they announce a PIC for the clutch issues that some are having, they are going to put it on the back burner and not have it done.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The machine does it for you just like driving your car

Oh then that's just normal acceleration, that's not what's tearing them up.

If it's lugging down and you can feel clutch slip because RPMs are too low, use sport, low or low sport. Better yet use manual and keep it out of a higher gear if you can't keep RPMs up and clutch locked up.

Can't slip the clutch constantly, wouldn't using a foot on the third pedal. Why would anyone let the computers foot slip the clutch for them.

Still a clutch whether it's pedal or computer controlling it.

I think there is a small portion of the problems where people who are used to CVTS and automatic trans vehicles, that are not used to feeling a clutch lock up and just don't know what to feel for. They pushed the clutch past its limit, which was a short coming of the design apparently since a fix has been released.

Supposedly the "improvement program" has remedied the shortcoming and all but the very determined should have a solid clutch.

Driving a manual is a dying art, on a dying tech, the stick and the third pedal are going to be gone altogether soon.

DCTs are amazing pieces of tech but they still have limitations, and anything is capable of being broken. (Except a 300 FourTrax, those things are mythical creatures like Bo Jackson)

0860silverado

Lifetime Member
May 25, 2017
louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Oh then that's just normal acceleration, that's not what's tearing them up.

If it's lugging down and you can feel clutch slip because RPMs are too low, use sport, low or low sport. Better yet use manual and keep it out of a higher gear if you can't keep RPMs up and clutch locked up.

Can't slip the clutch constantly, wouldn't using a foot on the third pedal. Why would anyone let the computers foot slip the clutch for them.

Still a clutch whether it's pedal or computer controlling it.

I think there is a small portion of the problems where people who are used to CVTS and automatic trans vehicles, that are not used to feeling a clutch lock up and just don't know what to feel for. They pushed the clutch past its limit, which was a short coming of the design apparently since a fix has been released.

Supposedly the "improvement program" has remedied the shortcoming and all but the very determined should have a solid clutch.

Driving a manual is a dying art, on a dying tech, the stick and the third pedal are going to be gone altogether soon.

DCTs are amazing pieces of tech but they still have limitations, and anything is capable of being broken. (Except a 300 FourTrax, those things are mythical creatures like Bo Jackson)
Yup... When I bought my 2008 Silverado 2500 HD, I couldn't believe that it wasn't available as an option, even as a special order with a manual trans. I do love rowing my own gears and I still miss it but that 6L-90E that GM has is a true beast. And the day they stop offering a third pedal on Vipers, Corvettes and GTs...It'll be a sad day for automotive enthusiasts.

Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The new autos in cars and trucks are far superior to a manual transmission. Older autos you could argue.

lee

lee

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 4, 2013
Springfield Ohio
Ownership

1. 500
I think there is a small portion of the problems where people who are used to CVTS and automatic trans vehicles, that are not used to feeling a clutch lock up and just don't know what to feel for.

If Honda was doing there homework and not rushing home early to watch formula 1 or moto GP the drivers "skill" would have nothing to do with it.
The computer is driving the clutch.
The computer should know to lock up the clutch or to drop it one gear if needed.
The P1k should be so dead simple to drive and so capable that I could (hypothetical) sit my wife in the drivers seat and she could go anywhere she wanted at say the Take Over pre-ride without causing ripples in our marital relasionship (except for the whole 24 degree F thing with no windshield) .
If Honda can't make that there target for a flagship SxS then they deserve to be 2nd best.

Last edited:
ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
If Honda was doing there homework and not rushing home early to watch formula 1 or moto GP the drivers "skill" would have nothing to do with it.
The computer should know to lock up the clutch or to drop it one gear if needed.
The P1k should be so dead simple to drive and so capable that I could (hypothetical) sit my wife in the drivers seat and she could go anywhere she wanted at say the Take Over pre-ride without causing ripples in our marital relasionship (except for the whole 24 degree F thing with no windshield) .
If Honda can't make that there target for a flagshipnSxS then they deserve to be 2nd best.

Kinda harsh, your wife seems like she is a much better driver than you are.

lee

lee

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 4, 2013
Springfield Ohio
Ownership

1. 500
Yup... When I bought my 2008 Silverado 2500 HD, I couldn't believe that it wasn't available as an option, even as a special order with a manual trans. I do love rowing my own gears and I still miss it but that 6L-90E that GM has is a true beast. And the day they stop offering a third pedal on Vipers, Corvettes and GTs...It'll be a sad day for automotive enthusiasts.

This is getting off topic (what I'm saying) but...
It is not the OEMs fault that the vast majority of new cars has a slush-box.
It is our (collectively as Americans) fault.
The EPA rules for emissions compliance just about force the issue.

If the driver drops the clutch the engine might missfire.
That would lead to raw gas dumped in to the exhaust.
That makes it harder to meet hc and NOx requierments.
Feel free to blame Chevy for a lot of stuff (god knows @ohanacreek dose) but that is not there fault.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
If Honda can't make that there target for a flagshipnSxS then they deserve to be 2nd best.
I should have said ".....issue was exacerbated by people who are used to CVTS and automatic trans vehicles...."

0860silverado

Lifetime Member
May 25, 2017
louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
The new autos in cars and trucks are far superior to a manual transmission. Older autos you could argue.
Yeah. As far as acceleration goes on a drag strip, autos win. When you have a driver that knows a track like "the ring"... manual will spank an auto any day. And for some drivers (like me) a manual is more gratifying. Even if an auto gets a faster time than me, I'll still have more fun in a manual.

0860silverado

Lifetime Member
May 25, 2017
louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Sarcasm duly noted...fanboy.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
This is getting off topic (what I'm saying) but...
It is not the OEMs fault that the vast majority of new cars has a slush-box.
It is our (collectively as Americans) fault.
The EPA rules for emissions compliance just about force the issue.

If the driver drops the clutch the engine might missfire.
That would lead to raw gas dumped in to the exhaust.
That makes it harder to meet hc and NOx requierments.
Feel free to blame Chevy for a lot of stuff (god knows @ohanacreek dose) but that is not there fault.

GM is the DEBIL BOBBY!
Hqdefault

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
What, you don't think honda engineers rush home to watch high class auto racing?
I just don't see a bunch of Japanese engineers watching NASCAR. ;-)

If you went to the Marine Research Facility in Florida I'm sure you'd find a few Japanese engineers that have adapted to Jorts, NASCAR, Florida Gators football, and PBR. How do you say Joe Dirte in Japanese?

0860silverado

Lifetime Member
May 25, 2017
louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
What, you don't think honda engineers rush home to watch high class auto racing?
I just don't see a bunch of Japanese engineers watching NASCAR. ;-)
Every class of racing has it's own set of parameters that are hard to be the best at. A dragster couldn't compete with a Le mans series car in it's setting. Put a Le mans car against a dragster on a drag strip and it would be pitiful. For you to insinuate that NASCAR is a class without credible ability shows that you are closed off in your little world. We are are off topic for this forum. Let's call it a night friend.

Reactions: joeymt33
tig

tig

Apr 22, 2015
Every class of racing has it's own set of parameters that are hard to be the best at. A dragster couldn't compete with a Le mans series car in it's setting. Put a Le mans car against a dragster on a drag strip and it would be pitiful. For you to insinuate that NASCAR is a class without credible ability shows that you are closed off in your little world. We are are off topic for this forum. Let's call it a night friend.
Lol. Silveraydo calling people out for being off topic.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!